Wanted Need 15x7 stock XJ wheel 5x4.5 bolt pattern

Homefryy

I was down in Escalante over the holiday weekend and destroyed one of my wheels. Looking for a replacement. They are stock XJ wheels 15x7 with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Bonus if it matches the one below but isn't a requirement. I can't find any damage to the tire so just need a new wheel to put this one on.

Full story to come once I have a chance to put a trip report together.

20180221_102905.jpg

20180221_102828.jpg

Homefryy

Sledgehammer. Bent steel wheels are reshaped all the time with just a big ol' hammer.

But, I'm sure you could find one for free too, either way.

Interesting... Doesn't seem that there is any harm in trying. Even if I can get a free wheel I would still have to pay to get it mounted and balanced. I guess I need to go sledgehammer shopping. You think I can just pound it back into place with the tire still on there? Any tips for how to do it?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you'd be good with a sledgehammer with the tire still mounted being a steel wheel.

If you're looking for some aluminum wheels, I'll have some stock XJ units I'll be getting rid of fairly soon. There's at least 4 wheels of this type.

showthread.php

Homefryy

Yes you could leave the tire on, where are you located?

I'm in South Salt Lake/Millcreek.

Also, for what it's worth, if the tire has spun on the rim from its original location then the balancing would be thrown out of whack and would need rebalanced anyways.

Looking at it it doesn't look like the tire spun on the rim. The bead still appears to be seated on both sides. I was on super slick ice when it happened so the tire shouldn't have been able to get enough traction to rotate the tire relative to the rim with the bead seated while I drove the 30 feet to get off the ice so I could swap in my spare. I guess I will find out for sure once I get it bent back and can see if it is still balanced.

If you're looking for some aluminum wheels, I'll have some stock XJ units I'll be getting rid of fairly soon. There's at least 4 wheels of this type.

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to pay to get all 4 wheel swapped to new rims. Every dollar I spend on these takes away from my ultimate goal of upgrading to 15x8 wheels and 31" tires. For now I'm going to see if bending it back will work and get me by. I didn't know that was an option until BlueWolf brought it up.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Damn Homefry, were you getting rowdy again in the snow ? Ha, ha, wink, wink.
If you start hitting on the inside of the wheel first , then pound the lip into position last. Be a bit more gentle with the lip.
I can help if your in the west Jordan area.

Now I think about it, I have a wheel that's slightly out of balance you can have. 3 to choose from.

Homefryy

Damn Homefry, were you getting rowdy again in the snow ? Ha, ha, wink, wink.
If you start hitting on the inside of the wheel first , then pound the lip into position last. Be a bit more gentle with the lip.
I can help if your in the west Jordan area.

Now I think about it, I have a wheel that's slightly out of balance you can have. 3 to choose from.

I'm in South Salt Lake but wouldn't be opposed to driving out to you for some help from somebody that has a better idea of what they are doing.

I need to get pictures off my wife's phone to show how it happened better but here is the short version.
I was driving up Left Hand Collet Canyon which connects Hole In The Rock Road to Smokey Mountain Road in Escalante. Most of the canyon was fine with a few spots with an inch or two of water and a few spots with less than an inch of snow. There were a few spots that must be shaded most/all day where there was ice over 12" thick and it was completely smooth and slippery. There were a few spots where water running down the canyon cut all the way through the ice creating an approximately 12" wide and over 12" deep channel through the ice. I didn't realize it until I broke through but leading up to the channels the ice was sloped underneath and got progressively thinner the closer it got to the channel.

I was crossing the thankfully last channel when my rear passenger tire broke through the ice about a foot and half before reaching the channel and dropped down into it. My momentum carried me forward and that tire slammed into the corner of the ice on the other side of the channel which is what bent the wheel.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I'm in South Salt Lake/Millcreek.

Looking at it it doesn't look like the tire spun on the rim. The bead still appears to be seated on both sides. I was on super slick ice when it happened so the tire shouldn't have been able to get enough traction to rotate the tire relative to the rim with the bead seated while I drove the 30 feet to get off the ice so I could swap in my spare. I guess I will find out for sure once I get it bent back and can see if it is still balanced.

Thanks for the offer but I don't want to pay to get all 4 wheel swapped to new rims. Every dollar I spend on these takes away from my ultimate goal of upgrading to 15x8 wheels and 31" tires. For now I'm going to see if bending it back will work and get me by. I didn't know that was an option until BlueWolf brought it up.

For 31x10.50 tires you are better off sticking with a 15x7 wheel for when you air down.