Need a Bitch and Moan thread or How many trips to the dealer to get an oil change

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
This is no where near the plight of DAA and his after-fire repairs, but damn...

I bought the F150 in May of 2013 and got a 5-year oil change contract. I took it yesterday to LHM Draper for the last service on the contract.
They quoted half an hour (got there at 6:45 AM) but it took an hour. Whatever, they rotated the tires and washed it so I could live with that.
Came home from work last night and parked in my garage. Later I noticed a bunch of oil drips under the truck, WTF. New skid plates from RCI that apparently interfere with draining the old oil and there was probably a couple quarts of oil on top of the skid plates, dripping onto the floor. Not sure where the oil came from, I checked the oil level and found it to be at least a quart over-full.....
I took it back this morning and told them of the issues. Yes the skids were an issue, but really, don't let it out the door with oil dripping from the skids. The overfill issue I could understand as well, the 5.0l V8 takes 6 quarts, the 3.5 Eco takes 5. Hello, there is this thing called a dipstick.... Sorry sir, sorry sir, we'll fix it. They got it done, put on the Fumoto oil drain valve in place of my drain plug, and I went on to work (I thought about checking the oil level, but hey, I just brought it back because they put too much oil in, surely it's ok now)
On a whim, in the parking lot at work, I checked the oil level. Overfull by almost a quart. grrrrr... My guess is they drained the oil to install the fumoto valve and then added 5 qts per the book, except they didn't change the oil filter and the previous one had almost a quart of oil in it.
I took it back this evening and went in with an "enlighten me" attitude. "Am I reading this dipstick correctly?" whoa dude, you overfilled your oil... :), no dude, you did, after I brought it back for being too full. Service manager came out with a bit of an attitude, pulled the dipstick, then looked disgusted and told the "dude" to drive it into the empty bay. Claims he fixed it himself. Hello McFly, "oil dipstick". I did check on the way out and it was ok. The cleanup of the skid plates was less than impressive, but I'll handle it myself.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Sorry to hear. There is only one LHM dealer I will ever go to, and that is Lexus because i can request the tech I want working on my rig.

Seems to be a product of a good economy. Warm bodies are filling jobs because there are that many openings. Qualified people have their pick and are chasing $$$, so a lot of jobs are filled by someone that will show up and do an almost acceptable job.

DAA

Seems to be an epidemic of this kind of stuff. I've had multiple problems with morons in the last couple of weeks. None vehicle related, just all people not caring about doing their jobs at all costing me time and money and making me want to depopulate the earth.

- DAA

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We had a fun experience with luggage on our cruise & flights. People just don’t care.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
.... None vehicle related, just all people not caring about doing their jobs at all costing me time and money ....

- DAA

Yep.... had the same thing happen to me on Monday, causing me to return to a store and blow an hour of my time because someone didn't double check what he was asked to get.

Reactions: DAA

Caleb

This was my biggest fear when buying my Raptor. I've had nothing but outstanding service in the years I've had my Toyotas...like I didn't mind going to the dealer to get shit done at all. Got my Raptor, it has a bit of a hesitation on acceleration so I take it in. It was nothing but issues, I'm so pissed at them I don't even want to take it in to get the other services I bought done. I refuse to use LHM Ford (even though they are by far the closest to me) so I'll be trying the Ford dealer down in UT county...maybe they're half way competent???

2002maniac

LHM did a routine inspection on my Brother's 2013 F150 a few weeks ago and did not reinstall the fill plug on the transfer case! He drove it to California and back before the t-case blew. LHM will not take any responsibility for the failure.

Absolute idiots. My brother had it replaced at a different shop and is taking LHM to court.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
How about another about people ripping you off on eBay. I so tired of selling stuff to idiots who get the part, then try to file a claim on eBay that the part isn't correct. Lying so they can get the part for free. eBay seems to always side with the purchaser. I'm so sick of wasting time with idiots and eBay, I'm going to start throwing these parts away. Good luck finding your extremely rare and expensive Land Rover parts from now on.

Caleb

How about another about people ripping you off on eBay. I so tired of selling stuff to idiots who get the part, then try to file a claim on eBay that the part isn't correct. Lying so they can get the part for free. eBay seems to always side with the purchaser. I'm so sick of wasting time with idiots and eBay, I'm going to start throwing these parts away. Good luck finding your extremely rare and expensive Land Rover parts from now on.

I refuse to do business with eBay and Paypal for this reason.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I buy and sell dozens of older dirt bike parts on eBay and have had nothing but good experiences. Definitely have to do your due diligence though researching the parts and looking very carefully at photos and descriptions or you could get hosed.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I've had MUCH better luck selling stuff on eBay than KSL.com classifieds. RME has been good as well (of course).
I now give stuff away or throw stuff in the dumpster before listing it on KSL.com.

Regarding vehicle maintenance, I try to do as much as possible myself. I've never had a catastrophic issue, but have had a few issues such as a loose drain plug, and a missing oil fill cap. Caught them before they were a major issue. I've also had oil an oil change shop try to sell me a new air filter and wiper blades after I JUST replaced them myself earlier that day...

Tonkaman

I am locked out of my eBay account for not paying them their cut of a sale. Last year I listed a dirtbike, it sold instantly, but I never got any funds. Instead of chasing down the buyer, EBay still demanded that I owe them their percentage! I made the mistake of re-listing the bike and IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Thanks eBay

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I am locked out of my eBay account for not paying them their cut of a sale. Last year I listed a dirtbike, it sold instantly, but I never got any funds. Instead of chasing down the buyer, EBay still demanded that I owe them their percentage! I made the mistake of re-listing the bike and IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Thanks eBay

Man that sucks!