Need a little knowledge in the uintas

Duffman

I'm taking my fiance on our honeymoon in the Uintas, and she wants to be back-country, but still have a lake nearby to fish. Anyone have any ideas on trails or lakes where we could primitive camp? I'm looking for an excuse to try out my new 33's while I'm at it :greg::greg:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
There are some nice lakes that are easily accessible up Murdock Basin. It gets fairly crowded up there on weekends because of the ease of access, but you can usually find something fairly isolated. Murdock is probably one of the rockier areas and maybe one of the more difficult roads in the uintas, but you certainly won't be testing the limits of your 33's. We had a subaru and a bmw x5 up there at echo lake with us once.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Murdock basin is primitive but the fishing sucks. I've been up there twice this year, fishing has sucked both times. It'll take at least 45 minutes to get to the end of the murdock basin road where there are 4 lakes nested together. Best fishing I've had is at Tail Lake on the south end of Washington Lake. We use elk hair caddis and renegade flies either on a fly pole or on a spinner with a bubble. There is primitive camping on the dirt road just past the washington lake group sites, if you continue south-ish the pavement turns to dirt and goes past haystack lake parking (north to south it goes washington-tail-haystack) and continues a ways more. This time of year I don't think you're going to be seeing too many people regardless of where you end up. My mom was told that washington lake camp ground is staying open until the 16th this year.

Just to give you an idea on how good the fishing is at Tail Lake, my mom and dad caught 135 fish between the two of them in about a day and a half aug 28-29. My mom was on her fly rod and my dad on a spinner reel. My mom said she missed a ton more too. They are doing dam work at washington so its super low again this year, if you try to fish there be prepared for mud getting down to the water. The walk down from the dam at washington to Tail is about 1/2 a mile (best guess.)

I was up in the Uintas over labor day and the bugs weren't around which was nice.

Congrats on your pending marriage and good luck on the trip.