Shop / Tools Need a new drill?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I love my Milwaukee stuff. Been using many of my tools lately in my basement remodel.
I've had a few M12 tools for several years and I'm a big fan. I needed the 1/2" chuck for a few projects lately so I needed to step up to M18. The M12 stuff will now stay in my tool container at our property.

4x4_Welder

I was doing mechanical assembly and gained a reputation for killing drills. They had a bunch of older DeWalts and I let the smoke out of one (I do have a legitimate history of doing this with DeWalt stuff), so they bought a Milwaukee M18 1/2" drill for me to try. I absolutely loved it, and it still worked after a month, so the manager came to my bench with the rest of the DeWalts and said he needed these to die so they could get more Milwaukees.
The next week they were replaced.
I have the M12 ratchet, 3/8" impact, and just ordered the grease gun. I have an M18 1/2" drill after how well those other ones did, and a Milwaukee Magnum hole shooter 1/2" drill. The Milwaukee stuff outperforms Snap On by a long shot, and the battery gauge is a huge plus.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I started burning up my 20v dewalt drill trying to drill out access holes for electrical when the house was being built. (I wired all the low voltage.) Well, I caught on that I was hurting it so I eventually bought a porter cable corded drill to finish that job. A few months ago I was trying to drill a 1" hole in ash and let the smoke out. I have no idea if thats something I could fix cheaply at home but its sucked having to pull out the corded drill for small simple stuff that won't fit my impact or 12v chucks. I've looked at getting a new cordless but haven't been willing to throw down the money still.

I bought 20v batteries so I don't think I'm willing to jump ship and both my other dewalt tools are still in good shape. I wish I had the dewalt trim router.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I bought brushes for my Makita impact driver. It works pretty well again. I think I’d go Milwaukee for the next set. (Maybe the Makita are “indoor” now and I’ll get some Milwaukee for the garage?)

Last edited: