Shop / Tools Need a new welding helmet...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have an old, small window Lincoln auto-darkening helmet and it does the job, but I have zero shade adjustment and am finding that while welding, I can't always see the joint as I progress the weld. Since I'm currently welding up a cage, being able to see the joints is pretty important! I need a better helmet that I can adjust the degree of shading and dial in my vision better. I've narrowed it down to either a Lincoln Viking 3350 or an ESAB Sentinel A50.

The ESAB has way more features, costs around $300, has a digital touch screen control panel, seems to have more comfortable head gear and the 'Grind' mode switch seems pretty brilliant. It also has a smaller viewing window. - https://store.cyberweld.com/esab-sentinel-a50-welding-helmet-07000008001.html?msclkid=52af5657f6d6129fe819366439f317b8&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping Miller&utm_term=4577129469487162&utm_content=Miller Machines

The Viking 3350 can be found as low as $240, has standard dials for adjusting the shade, etc. Not nearly as fancy as the ESAB. - https://store.cyberweld.com/lincoln-viking-3350-welding-helmet-k-3034-4.html?msclkid=01d51a1ebccb1807b9907a2d72b86703&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping Lincoln&utm_term=4576854592121251&utm_content=Lincoln Shopping

The viewing area on the ESAB is 3.93" x 2.36" .... my current helmet is 3.82" x 1.73", so even the smaller ESAB Sentinel A50 viewing area will be an improvement over my current helmet.

Any thoughts? What welding helmet do you use?

RockChucker

I have a lincoln viking. it is like 6 or 7 years old at this point. i can't remember what the model number is, but the viewing window is large and the clarity through the viewer is great. it looks very similar to the one you linked above.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have had the Lincoln viking for like 3 years now and I am thinking about trying out the new Miller T94, aesthetically the Miller is kind of goofy looking but the optics and features are what I am excited about. If you get the miller helmet, dont get the flip up style it weighs alot more and I dont think the advantage out weighs the weight.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I've been running the newest model of the Viking 3350 for about a year now and love it to death. In my opinion the miller equivalents have too much fancy tech stuff that is just not needed unless you're trying to track how much actual arc time you're using.

The Viking keeps the simplicity that I loved about my cheap Weldmark I used to have but expands on it with much more shade adjustment as well as a really big viewing area. Not to mention the lense coloring effect they use makes it really easy to see what is going on without hurting your eyes.

Greg

Admin
I've been running the newest model of the Viking 3350 for about a year now and love it to death. In my opinion the miller equivalents have too much fancy tech stuff that is just not needed unless you're trying to track how much actual arc time you're using.

The Viking keeps the simplicity that I loved about my cheap Weldmark I used to have but expands on it with much more shade adjustment as well as a really big viewing area. Not to mention the lense coloring effect they use makes it really easy to see what is going on without hurting your eyes.

That was another thing mentioned in reviews, the lens clarity of the Viking is rated even higher than the Sentinel.

Good info!

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
That was another thing mentioned in reviews, the lens clarity of the Viking is rated even higher than the Sentinel.

Good info!
Another thing that's a biggy for me was the lens shape/price. Because the fancy looking helmets always have those pilot helmet shaped lenses they are wayyyy more expensive to replace. And from what I've seen on my students helmets they warp from heat really easily.
Where as because Lincoln's is a very simple square and rectangle, the lens replacements stay relatively cheap.
Now if you're not constantly going through lenses that's not a problem.... but I can't seem to figure out that magic yet. 😬

Greg

Admin

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
mostly for the 'grind' feature.

Where's the switch? My Lincoln whateveritis has the switch on the inside, which means my lazy ass doesn't use it as much as I should. The cheapo I had before had the grind switch on the outside which was much more better.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Where's the switch? My Lincoln whateveritis has the switch on the inside, which means my lazy ass doesn't use it as much as I should. The cheapo I had before had the grind switch on the outside which was much more better.
That's how my hobart shield is. You turn down the shade dial until you hit grind mode and the dial was made for tiny mouse fingers. So to do grind mode you have to remove the shield and your gloves. I hate it.

Greg

Admin

Outside the helmet, right side and above the lens... and the button is big enough that you can hit it with gloves on. It's also just recessed enough that it won't hang up. When you have 'grind' mode enabled there is a blinking light on the inside to remind you.

Screenshot_20210224-093106_Chrome.jpg

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Outside the helmet, right side and above the lens... and the button is big enough that you can hit it with gloves on. It's also just recessed enough that it won't hang up. When you have 'grind' mode enabled there is a blinking light on the inside to remind you.

View attachment 135150
Niiiice. That's almost worth the cost of the helmet right there.

Greg

Admin
Just to follow up.... I LOVE THIS HOOD! Seriously, the viewing window is massive, visibility is amazing. Love the touch screen and being able to quickly dial in different shade settings. I feel like I have so much more visibility and can see the joints ahead of the weld, unlike before.

About the only downside is due to the shape, the outer lens has been getting scratched up. I have a habit of just setting the hood down on its side and not thinking about it, but with the weight of the lens and the round shape, it rolls over and gets scratched up. Fortunately it came with several replacements, so its not a big deal. I've been more careful how I set the hood after I've taken it off.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Just to follow up.... I LOVE THIS HOOD! Seriously, the viewing window is massive, visibility is amazing. Love the touch screen and being able to quickly dial in different shade settings. I feel like I have so much more visibility and can see the joints ahead of the weld, unlike before.

About the only downside is due to the shape, the outer lens has been getting scratched up. I have a habit of just setting the hood down on its side and not thinking about it, but with the weight of the lens and the round shape, it rolls over and gets scratched up. Fortunately it came with several replacements, so its not a big deal. I've been more careful how I set the hood after I've taken it off.
Get you one of those bottle hooks for the top of your gas bottle. I hang my helmet there a lot more often since getting one. You can also clean up light scratches by rubbing WD40 on the lense.CFCB827F-7006-4706-B05C-B6AA6F2805A8.jpeg