Need a range.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I think it's time for a carry gun. I shot a couple that were really nice, the Ruger Security 9 and Walther PPQ got my attention.

I'm going to shoot a lot more though before I make up my mind. I've never owned a handgun so I don't really know what I'm looking for except a good feel in the hand and a big magazine.

The wife shot a little Sig .380 she really liked.

I am a cheap gun collector. I’ve always been satisfied with them. Now that I am more advanced in my skill and understanding, I can see why expensive guns are expensive. But I am still plenty satisfied with all my cheap guns. I’ve had zero issues with any of them.
My wife has very expensive hands. She can pick out the most expensive gun in the store just by holding it. Then she has to have it. Her Sig .380 is the only gun we’ve ever had issues with. I hate it, but she loves it.

I have 3 or 4 pistols I consider to be ‘carry’ guns. Each is very different than the other. They range from super mini size to full frame, and each has its purpose.
If I had to pick a single gun, or a general all around gun for a first gun it would be a mid sized 9mm. Big enough to be handled well, and fire straight, with enough rounds to be effective. Small enough to conceal.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I had a Kahr MK9 that I used as my carry when I was a "detective." I liked the size but it was heavy and was a double pull every time which I didn't love. I sold it and am without a pistol. I haven't carried a gun in 6 years and my CWP expired a year ago. I intended to renew it but never got the pictures done to send in with the renewal.

I'm guessing that the PPQ and P365 are both single stacks, is that right? Impact shows that the PPQ is double action but doesn't specify on the P365.

I always like the Colt New Agent and thought I'd own one some day. They are heavy and expensive though.

Caleb

The P365 is a double stack. It's a 10+1 with the flush mount mag or a 12+1 for the extended mag. It feels much like a single stack though and is about the same size as my shield. I'm supposed to go shooting this Friday, if I do I'll post pictures of the Shield compared to the P365.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I've shot most of the carry guns out there and IMO, the S&W shield is the best carry gun on the market. The G43 is also a great carry gun but I just don't shoot glocks well. The angle of the glock grip is different than most other hanguns so it takes a little getting used to if you shoot other guns a lot. Shooting slow is no problem since sights will line you up, but faster on-target shots get "off" when you're not used to the grip angle. Most people who shoot glocks shoot ALL glocks because the angle is the same on all of them, and transitioning to other brands takes some getting used to. I have multiple brands and the angles are all pretty much the same so it's no big deal since they're not Glocks. I WISH the P365 had been great, but it had more malfunctions than I care to take a chance on in the 100 or so rounds I put through it. (should be zero or maybe 1 in only 100 rounds. I shot it side by side with my shield and I shot the shield much better. The reason I say I wish it was great, is the 10 round mag in such a small package. But the shield with 7 isn't far behind, and IMO a much better shooter. AND, you can find the shield for well under $300 if you look around. I picked up a used one for $225 last year. I picked up a new one for a raffle for $225 the year prior when they had a rebate program going. I should have picked up a couple of them at that time.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I've shot most of the carry guns out there and IMO, the S&W shield is the best carry gun on the market. The G43 is also a great carry gun but I just don't shoot glocks well. The angle of the glock grip is different than most other hanguns so it takes a little getting used to if you shoot other guns a lot. Shooting slow is no problem since sights will line you up, but faster on-target shots get "off" when you're not used to the grip angle. Most people who shoot glocks shoot ALL glocks because the angle is the same on all of them, and transitioning to other brands takes some getting used to.

I had a shield for a minute, sold it. Great little gun shoots nice, I just don't like on/off switches on my carry guns.

A carry a G26, a G43 is in my future when I can afford it. And couldn't agree more about getting used to glocks. I couldn't shoot a glock for crap when I started, thats really all I've trained and competed with to the point where I kind of suck with my 1911 now :rofl:

Caleb

I've shot most of the carry guns out there and IMO, the S&W shield is the best carry gun on the market. The G43 is also a great carry gun but I just don't shoot glocks well. The angle of the glock grip is different than most other hanguns so it takes a little getting used to if you shoot other guns a lot. Shooting slow is no problem since sights will line you up, but faster on-target shots get "off" when you're not used to the grip angle. Most people who shoot glocks shoot ALL glocks because the angle is the same on all of them, and transitioning to other brands takes some getting used to. I have multiple brands and the angles are all pretty much the same so it's no big deal since they're not Glocks. I WISH the P365 had been great, but it had more malfunctions than I care to take a chance on in the 100 or so rounds I put through it. (should be zero or maybe 1 in only 100 rounds. I shot it side by side with my shield and I shot the shield much better. The reason I say I wish it was great, is the 10 round mag in such a small package. But the shield with 7 isn't far behind, and IMO a much better shooter. AND, you can find the shield for well under $300 if you look around. I picked up a used one for $225 last year. I picked up a new one for a raffle for $225 the year prior when they had a rebate program going. I should have picked up a couple of them at that time.

This brings up a good point and it seems like you're doing it. Shoot as many different guns as you can. What feels nice for one person, may not for another, no matter how expensive or nice of a gun it actually is. The angle difference on the Glocks doesn't bother me, I can go from my shield to the g43 and not skip a beat (I'm not amazing with either but can keep a ~2" group @ 10yds with either :p ), however the trigger makes a bigger difference to me (straight vs. curved).

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Tell me how you guys like Taurus. I thought they were one of the brands to avoid, but I hear their warranty is one of the best? Is this a situation where I might be more likely to need that warranty than not?

I held a TH9 at the counter in Smith and Edwards today. I liked the feel better than the G2C, I think I might need to go shoot one.

J-mobzz

I’ve owned a few and honestly can’t say anything bad other than I just didn’t like them. Part of me feels like it’s just me being a snob and justifying the sig saurs and other high dollar hand guns I own.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We currently have a Taurus G2. Its a fine gun. No complaints.
My very first gun was a Taurus Pro C. They don' t make them any more, and I wish I hadn't sold it. It was an awesome gun.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Guess what kind of pistols I like:) I actually sold a Glock to buy a 365 and it is my main carry gun. I saw some media on the Hellcat and it looks pretty cool too.
I have very little experience with Taurus except their revolvers and what I saw in them is terrible machining and fitment of parts. That was on 3 or 4 different double actions. Having seen that, I've stayed away.
There are so many reasonably priced quality pistols now. You can have a really , really nice carry gun with night sights for under $500 in sig, glock, S&W, Springfield. They will all function really well and shoot better than you can shoot them.
I really think the M&P are hard to beat for value even though I hated my shield.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We have a Taurus PT111 G2 in our family and it's a complete pile of shit. I've had very experienced smiths try to massage the thing, and it continues to misfeed all types of ammo. It's one that so bad, it's not even worth selling.

Hellcat.. I'd wait awhile to see what bugs the factory needs to work out since it's so fresh.

I agree that the trend of EDC carry guns with the nice upgrades available for around $500 is incredible. It was not like this even 5yrs ago. The most you'd see upgraded would be night sights of some flavor. Now you're seeing everything from RMR plates (and even RMR's themselves) to competition triggers, threaded barrels, flared magwells, and far better grip technologies.

I've never personally been a fan of upgrading my EDC weapon's internals, simply due to reliability. But for most manufacturers to offer many of the same 'upgrades' right out of the box now, I wouldn't hesitate to run factory 'upgraded' equipment. With all EDC rigs, be sure to run lots of ammunition through them, force malfunction drills and be 100% that you can manipulate the weapon under stress (malfunction clearing & reloads).

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm of a mind that a 32 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your safe. Rmr's are a huge advantage for shooting but a big disadvantage for carrying. That bulk and size would prevent me from always having it with me. But I haven't actually carried the smaller frame guns with one, like the hell at so maybe it isn't as big as I think. Another thing is self defense shooting happens at really close range, like 3 yards. You don't need great sites for that range. I think most people would struggle to shoot a p365 sized gun accurately at 20 yards, not because of sites but barrel length and the sensitivity of small pistols to hand movements, ie squeezeing the gun with the trigger.