• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

need computer help

Chevycrew

Home pc, windows 7, yada yada.

Had some fatal error where it blue screened an shut itself down to prevent further damage.

Im hoping to find someone who can do the software repair, and it would be easiest if I could just drop off the hard drive.

I just dont want to lose the thousands of pictures that are on it.

Thanks!

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Have you even tried turning it back on? Just because it blue screened doesn't mean the hard drive went bad or has a problem. It could be anything from memory failure to something as simple as the machine overheated due to dust clogging your fans and vents.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So are you just looking to recover files? If it were me I'd boot off of a Linux live CD like this: http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora and it boots up to a usable desktop without doing anything to your drive. From there you should be able to browse your hard drive and copy off to a external hard drive or thumb drives or a network location. Just don't hit the "install to local drive" icon and you'll be fine. Booting off the Linux live CD would also tell you the rest of your hardware is good or possibly provide an error you weren't seeing with your Windows OS.