Need GM mechanic suggestion

johnsonbz

2008 Yukon XL that is having some oil pressure oddness, like dropping to zero and telling me to shut off engine immediately.....

I am reading that there is a small O ring at the top of the oil pump that cracks over time and also a small filter under the oil pressure gauge at the back of the engine that can be the potential culprits.

Dropping the oil pan is a bigger job than I want to do right now, laying on the freezing ground does not sound like fun this weekend.

Looking for a suggestion for a trusted mechanic in the SLC area.

Anyone have someone they like and could recommend?

Last edited:

Trate D

I would bet it’s just the sending unit. It’s a pretty easy job if you have the correct socket. Most shops will say you need to remove the intake to swap it but you can get it with out. It’s not fun, but can be done. It’s hit or miss if they have the screen under the sensor. You can use a pick and remove it if there is one. Then just carefully put the new one back in and then the sensor.

johnsonbz

"...It's not fun...." this is the exact phrase that I am trying to avoid, and wiling to pay someone else. I am guessing any competent shop could do this? I am going to look up the socket size right now...

Trate D

Yes, any shop should have no issue doing it. It’s just a matter of the right setup to get to it. I use a 1 1/16 sensor socket with a 1/4 drive adapter, wobble extension and a flex head ratchet.

I did the pressure sensor on my 2007 suburban and it fixed the problem. I cut out part of the sound shield and replaced the sensor without removing intake manifold or anything crazy. It is tight back there, so more frustrating than difficult.

RockChucker

If you do replace the sensor, I'd recommend a GM sensor. I've had bad luck with parts store sensors in the past (not this particular sensor). Seems that for sensors it is worth the extra $$ to not have to replace it again in a few months.

4x4_Welder

If it happens when you first start it cold, and goes away when you rev the engine, it's the o ring. If it comes and goes randomly, it's the sender or harness (have had both fail).

Toad

The o ring is a common problem. Do them on a regular basis. There’s also an AFM shield to do while your in the pan. Change the sender and filter first. As stated use OEM. Flat rate calls for pulling the intake. Nobody does.