Need Help...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
...identifying this sound. It comes on pretty abruptly around 30 MPH. It is related to wheel speed, not engine speed. The sound is present in 2WD, full-time 4WD, and part-time 4WD. I removed the tire and wheel, as well as the caliper and pad.

2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0, selec-trac

[video=youtube;cVynskngfrA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVynskngfrA[/video]

Wheel bearing?

sixstringsteve

wheel bearing? :confused: Is it hot anywhere? Whatever is making that noise, it won't be making it much longer.

Maybe something rubbing the rotor?

Does the front diff spin when in 2wd?

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
wheel bearing? :confused: Is it hot anywhere? Whatever is making that noise, it won't be making it much longer.

Maybe something rubbing the rotor?

Does the front diff spin when in 2wd?

Wheel bearing is all I could come up with too. It does not change when you turn the steering wheel. It's not hot anywhere that I can feel. The front diff does spin with the front wheels, but the sound is very localized around the driver-front wheel. There are no obvious rub-spots anywhere on the rotor, except from the pads.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It gets stranger...

I took off the caliper bracket, and the sound went away. The two bolts that hold the bracket on seemed properly tight. I put the caliper bracket back on, and still no sound. I put the tire back on, and still no sound.
I haven't taken it for a test drive yet. Any bets? Will the sound come back, the bearing fail, the wheel fall off, and I'll die in a fiery crash? Or was the bracket a tiny bit loose, and that was causing some kinda harmonic resonance magic?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Update: No fiery crash.

ABS light went off very quickly after leaving the driveway.

The noise returned after 5 minutes of driving. It sometimes seems worse when there is extra weight on that wheel (as when turning right).

Any ideas? It makes absolutely no noise, and then suddenly it comes back, instantly. Once you slow down below about 20 the noise disappears. Would a wheel bearing act like that?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It looks like hub assemblies are about $60 to $90 depending on brand, so I'm not going to go bankrupt by giving that a shot. Does anyone have any other ideas? Is it worth it to spend the extra $30 for a Timken over a store brand?

sixstringsteve

Do you intend to keep it for a long time? If so, I think timkens are worth it. If not, go cheap with a lifetime warranty.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's awfully loud for it, but are the brake pads worn enough to touch the squealers?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
It looks like hub assemblies are about $60 to $90 depending on brand, so I'm not going to go bankrupt by giving that a shot. Does anyone have any other ideas? Is it worth it to spend the extra $30 for a Timken over a store brand?

Timken, Precision or whatever. Store brand sucks donkey biscuits