Need info for Ash Creek run this spring

XJEEPER

Looking for more details on the area, hoping some locals can assist.
This is the only reference I've found useful in a few hours of web searching......
http://www.off-roadweb.com/adventures/0502or_ash_creek/

Need to know the following:

What is the staging area like? Will it support approx 15 rigs/trailers?

Can we camp there overnight? If not, what's the nearest campsite/campground?

Rate the trail on a Moab scale, appears to be in the 5 to 5+ range.

Nearest services?

Land status i.e. FS, BLM, State, private?

Trail conditions April-June?

Thanks in advance, Jeff

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
will talk more to the guys that know these things....also, I will get with the BLM to see specifics. everyone says its not passable......or only for buggies....we will see. april-junes should see 90's

bruzer

It's funny that you ask, I am going to the BLM office tomorrow morning to find out info about that trail as well as many others in Washington Co.
Have you been on any of the other trails out in the St.George/ Washington/Hurricane area?
Weather and trail conditions should be real good in april or may, maybe warm in june.
As far as the trail ratings go, I have read, and heard from others that it a definate 5.
Should have more awnser's for you Monday night.

XJEEPER

May is likely the target month, I'd rather not stir up the BLM if permitting is currently not a requirement for this area!

Staging area is important, as well as camping options.

Thanks guys, I'll stay tuned for more details.

XJEEPER

It's funny that you ask, I am going to the BLM office tomorrow morning to find out info about that trail as well as many others in Washington Co.
Have you been on any of the other trails out in the St.George/ Washington/Hurricane area?
Weather and trail conditions should be real good in april or may, maybe warm in june.
As far as the trail ratings go, I have read, and heard from others that it a definate 5.
Should have more awnser's for you Monday night.

Nope, most of my wheeling is in No Utah and the Moab area. I'd love more details on Ash and similar trails in the St George/Hurricane area.
Thanks in advance, Jeff

Crinco

I would love to know what the BLM thinks of this trail, it is ok to run or not? Did we find out, please share?
CR

pumpkinbronc

ONETONPUMPKIN
With all the flooding we had the past couple of years the original trail that was known as the Wrecking yard, has pretty much been wiped out, it used to have a nice staging area at the bottom but the road to it was washed away. Ive heard of guys going up it since its been washed out but I dont know if anybody has made it through to the top yet.

Crinco

Ran it twice in 2006, hard trail. THEN I was told it was off limits, so I am wondering if this is true?
CR

Bart

Back to the original question on Ash Creek. 15 rigs would be pushing the staging area, but could possibly fit, remember it is also the staging area for Wild Wild West. I believe you can camp overnight there. It is as hard as you want to make it, but the least hard routes are a 5. Expect body damage. Closest services are in Cedar City, 7 miles away. Fun fun trail.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Wild west is pretty far from wrecking yard. Like 15-20 miles. I think your:confused: I don't think the staging area could handle more then 8-10 rigs, and probably no camping

Bart

My bad. I was thinking of the trail just to south of Wild Wild West (forgot the name). I did Wrecking Yard back in 2000. It didn't seem as tough then as it sounds now.

Crinco

Skull Canyon and Wild Wild West are in the same area. Ash Creek is 25 miles (about) South of Cedar City and doesn't have much of a staging area.

As you come in on the frontage road there is private land to one side and Freeway to the other. The road then enters into a Quarry (gravel pit) which would also be private. You could park along side the road but pulling off the road or into the pit could lead to problems. To enter the trail, the routes we have used take you through the gravel pit and down into the creek. The dirt road from the pit runs parallel to the creek for quite a ways, but gets too narrow for a Jeep/buggy at some point, you would be down in the creek by then anyways.
Without going through the gravel pit, you could enter the creek at the end of the frontage road(we didn't do this, so there is a bit of assumption here). This would make the trail longer. (read: Pack two lunches!)
On a trail this hard, for every vehicle you add it adds a lot of time. We had 7 rigs (4 buggys, 2 jeeps and a xj) and IIRC, it took around 8 hours to run including a 45 min lunch stop. We were stopped for about an hour with a broken rig also, but you should plan that into your timeline.

We had:
1 broken knuckle
1 broken axle
1 completly cracked frame (CJ)
1 badly bent link
I am sure there was more, either way plan on some carnage.
Services are 25 miles south (St George) or 25 miles north (Ceder City). As far as camping, you might be able to camp at the next exit to the North. This is near the exit of the trail, there is a road west of the freeway that is paved and doesn't have much traffic. This is where we leave a truck to ferry drivers back to their trucks and trailors after the run is over, so they can drive back and pick up their Jeeps/buggys.
CR

Crinco

Thanks for the info Crinco, this helps alot. Is this trip report recent, as in the last 6 months?

We ran the trail after the floods, but before most of the fires. I believe it was about mid summer, I will check and see if I can find a date, but right around 6 months ago. I can not tell you if there have been more floods through the creek, because I haven't been in it since then, but I haven't heard of any and I know the "big" floods they had down there had happened because of the damage near the overflow from the reservoir at the top of the trail. Mother nature did a lot of damage. :eek:
CR

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
ash

went and talked to Todd at On track 4x4.

He confirmed everything that cringo said....
:D
said they broke dean's buggy and left that jeep over night.

Bear in mind, he said there was snow at the time so a dry run may be a little easier, but still tough. said that he would love to go back, and that we should prolly keep it low key.

He will lead a small group of 7 or less said a large group just wouldn't be fun. :sick:

sounds like skid plates are recommended.

So lets pick a date........