NEED projection HELP

Box Rocket

bored
Does anyone know of someone in Utah county that is well versed in Holley Projection? I've got a buddy with an FJ40 with a 350 with Holley Projection. He just bought the truck a few weeks ago from a guy in S.F. and he needs to tune the projection for the altitude here and could use some help.

If anyone can point me in a good direction on this, it would be appreciated.

TIA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What kind of help do you need? I had the 900 CFM Open Loop Projection on my Smallblock Chevy, in my CJ. I couldn't ever get it to run perfect, but I knew that system inside and out.

Is your friends the newer Digital sys, or the older one? Is it Open or Closed Loop? (Does it have a O2 sensor?) How many CFM? Probably the 670cfm, 2 barrel??

What are the problems he's running into, trying to tune it for higher altitude? I'm in Utah Valley and would be glad to lend a hand......

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
What system is it? Old open loop/cab adjustable or the newer closed loop system. I have fixxed a ton of the old style systems, there are a few tricks. I run one on my Bronco. It is not the best injection, but it can work with a few tweeks. An aftermarket air/fuel gauge helps when adjusting or hook it to an IM machine while tuning it.

Old style tricks.

Ground everything even if it seems redundent, make sure the computer is not just grounded to the body!!!

Trash the Holley pump, the plugs have problems.

Hard wire the pump so it runs constant in run/start positions. (the computer varies the flow with the ground)

Run at least a 5/16 return line.

There is a small cap the you can pop out on the top of the pressure regulator, then you can adjust it as needed.

Barnes and Noble has a Holley book that has a chapter on the old projection, it has some helpful info on tuning.

The old projection will never have the power off the line that you are used to with a carb, they don't supply enough fuel quick enough.

Hope that helps.

I am in SLC, but willing to play with it a little if you can get it up here.

Marc

Box Rocket

bored
Thanks you guys. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's the older open loop/cab adjustable type. I know there's a box of tuning knobs for it inside the glove box. I have basically NO experience with Holley projection or any fuel injection for that matter. I've always had carbs in my trucks and I'm totally in the dark on this.

Not sure if you guys know him or not but DJ at DJ's Traction Systems has done a lot with Projection units on cruisers and I suggested my friend bring it up to him in SLC but he's not sure it'll run well enough to get there. That's why he's wondering about someone in Utah county.

Box Rocket

bored
I went with him to SF to get it and we trailered it back. It ran fine in SF and it's been here in Utah for about a month and has been running fine until a couple weeks ago. I also suspect a bad fuel pump but haven't heard of any changes since swapping that out

Box Rocket

bored
The description he gave me was that it seems like it's starved for fuel. I haven't been able to drive it or or experience it firsthand so I'm not sure exactly what that means. He had a lot of crap in the fuel filter and changed that and was supposed to swap fuel pumps last night, and also check his air cleaner that could very well be pretty dirty and be restricting air flow.

It might be one of those things that fixes it if it turns out to be the EFI he could use some help with it.

Greg

Admin
I battled Fuel Starvation problems forever with my Holley Projection. I was on the phone with the Holley Tech Dept for probably 3+ hours...... It could very well be that.

Do you know where the Fuel Pump is mounted? Is it totally below the tank?

Box Rocket

bored
I'm not sure. If you're familiar with cruisers, the stock gas tank is under the passenger seat. One this particular truck, he stock tank is gone and there is a Conferr aux fuel tank mounted under the rear of the truck (similar location as wranglers) that is used as the primary fuel tank. I'm not sure if the pump for that tank is inside the tank or somewhere else.

Is it better to have the pump mounted lower than the tank?

Greg

Admin
I was told that was my problem, by the Holley Techs. My external pump sat about level with the bottom of the tank and they said it needed to be fully beneath the lowest point of the tank. They told my to install a 'feeder' pump, to supply the Main pump.

I would start with a inline Fuel Pressure guage. Mount it in the vehicle, or where you can look at it while it's running. Make sure Fuel Delivery is the issue, and go from there.

Box Rocket

bored
Just talked to him and he said the fuel pump is the Holley pump and it is mounted totally below the tank.

Is the Holley pump crap? Any recommendations on alternative pumps he should use if he ditches the Holley?

He said he reset the EFI last night and made a few adjustments and it's running better. Not sure if it's perfect but sounds like it's an improvement.

Greg

Admin
I wouldn't mess with replacing or remounting it. I bought a completly new Holley Pump for my setup and it seemed like a quality Pump. If it's running, then its getting enough fuel.....

This kinda sounds like one of those things you have to see, to make any kind of diagnoses.

I would totally recommend buying the O2 sensor kit. I forgot how much it costs, but it seems like a wise investment. The Projection will just feed the motor without knowing if its running Lean/Rich or what......whoever designed a fuel system without a way to monitor what its doing, needs to be shot. Then they have the balls to sell a 'kit' to cover their screwup......:rolleyes: