Need to sandblast Jeep trailer

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
My old Bantam 3C Jeep trailer needs to be painted. It has 72 years old paint on it and I'm tired of going through sanding disks. Does anyone know a good sandblasting shop that could make life easier for me ?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm not sure how thick the sheetmetal is and if it's worn thin in spots, but regular sand blasting can warp sheetmetal. You might want to find someone that can media blast it.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
The metal is quite thick on this old trailer with no thin spots that I know of. I know this can be an issue, when they sandblasted my Scrambler tub they blew sections out. It did show me where I had to replace metal. My friends dad was the original owner of the trailer and he used it to haul blocks up to build his cabin in Brighton so it has lots of wavy sections. I just don't want to see it rust away.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
My neighbor had an old 60's Mustang body sand blasted and it ruined the car! Warped all the panels, just destroyed it. Figured I'd mention it, good to hear your your trailer is thick metal!

Powder coating shops do a lot of sand blasting, you could start with Armor Coatings in Taylorsville. There might be a place closer to you. I had my CJ5 frame sand blasted locally, cost was $150... if that helps.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have used Blast Products twice and have been very happy with them. They blasted the entire Sunbeam I build and just did the pan on the Bug I'm building now. No issues. I have heard of warping, but really think it has more to do with the guy holding the gun. Just speculating though. The Sunbeam was pretty thin. The Bug pan was in pretty good shape except where the batter sits. It was rusted and thin. They blew a couple small holes in the metal. I expected that and was already prepared to replace that section. Still, there was no warping.