Needed more muscle in my life...

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
So, I’ve always loved muscle/pony cars but haven’t really had one for a bit. My vintage cars for the last decade or so have been limited to Willys, and a couple ‘40’s-‘50’s Ford pickups and my TR6. All a lot of fun, but a year ago while in AZ for work I rode in my buddy’s ‘67 Firebird and I’ve been jonesing for another muscle car since. I’ve toyed off and on over the last year about selling my beloved Triumph but just couldn’t pull the trigger. Then, this spring when I pulled her out she finally had a dead cylinder (it’s burned oil since I’ve owned it). Back in the garage it went, and, without the constant reminder of how fun she was to drive the connection waned. Fast forward to this summer, and the wife’s ride was beginning to show its age. On a whim, I listed the TR6 for what I thought was a high price. I underestimated. It sold in less than two hours. It was bitter sweet, but in the end I think for the good. Got the wife a newer ride that she loves (Range Rover) and picked up this little gem for me to tinker on. ?
It’s a ‘68, originally Highland Green (think Bullitt) 289/3spd I believe. Now it’s metallic black 302/5spd. The paint is a bit tired, and she’s not perfect, but she runs great, sounds great, and is fast! I’ve got receipts for almost 5x what I paid in goodies and upgrades I’m still sorting. Mustang II style front end with discs and rack and pinion, Tremec T5, Ididit tilt column, new exhaust front to back, new brakes all around, 17” Coys wheels with almost new tires, new 4 barrel and Edelbrock intake, etc. I have no idea what the 302 came from but I believe it’s a ‘68 block. No clue what’s been done other than it’s been decked and has high compression because it knocks on low octane gas I’ve found. It’s got a slight lope as well. I’ve owned a handful of Mustangs in the past, 2 ‘66’s, a ‘79 302, ‘85 GT (very not stock) and a ‘67 Cougar with a lot of natural weight reduction. This is the first one for a long time though, so I’m enjoying rediscovering pony car life. All in all it’s a fun project, I’m really enjoying it so far and I think it will only get better.718F384D-B5F4-4154-BFA8-AEACA6036EF5.jpeg866C3C26-F867-4C67-8A04-3538E3C9C056.jpeg6403DBFC-8CE2-492C-9145-72E7CF7BD03D.jpegF2BB258E-C1DF-4270-BC94-B8C227D5477E.jpeg

Caleb

Very cool. I've been considering picking up something like that for a project my son and I could work on together. Looks like a nice car.

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Thanks guys, I think it’s gonna be a lot of fun. My mind is all over the place on how I want to build it, everything from back to original co so I suppose for now I’ll just enjoy it how it is while I make up my mind.

My kids were a bit sad to lose the Triumph, but they love the Mustang. My boys especially are looking forward to building it and driving it with me.

Pile of parts

Nice! That should be fun. Here's my friend's '67. We ran around in this in High School, when we (and the car) were about 30+ years younger. It was a 289/auto then. Cosmetically, it's still the same. However, about a year ago, it got updated suspension, a built 9", 5 speed manual and a 600 hp 427. Oh yeah, and a new hood so the engine would fit...
I still haven't been for a ride. :mad:

The model A in the background is his dad's.

IMG_20180916_145558697_HDR.jpgIMG_20190810_104408728_HDR.jpg

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Thanks, I’ve always liked the Halibrand style wheels, but I haven’t decided if I like the bigger wheels or not. I really dig the old torque thrusts too. I need to clean up the knock offs and put them on too.