Never Felt the Tender Touch of a Woman: an R/C Journey

STAG

Beach bummin
As my friend @xj_nate eloquently put it, when I posted a video of a R/C front end loader, “that man has never felt the tender touch of a woman”. That quote inspires me, so I henceforth reclaim my virginity.

Now that that’s out of the way, I can make an idea come to life that I’ve wanted to do for several years.

I have a piece of heavy equipment that I would like to R/C-alize. I have little-to-no-RC experience, (as my past life of a sinner with women) and so I really don’t know what I’m doing. With some YouTube research I have found out the basics. However, I know that creating a project from scratch completely would likely result in an immediate failure because I would omit something silly like a transistor, resistor, capacitor or some other component that I wouldn’t realize would need to be in the system. Or even two components that turn out to be incompatible with each other due to voltage or frequency etc

My remedy to this is buying an already operable R/C vehicle, and then gutting the mechanical and electrical components that I can reuse, and then upgrade components as needed and as I learn more about what I’m doing.

I’ve been working on designing and 3D printing the “chassis”. It is a quite complex build and rather large scale, 1:6.25 to be exact. Large was intended on purpose, for it to be easier to work on, and for it to actually be able to move some dirt, in scale format of course.

I am aware that all the parts I use from the R/C cars may be very short term temporary even if used at all, but at least it will get me started. So with that in mind, I stayed low budget. I ordered a HBX 2995 off Amazon. Seems like decent drivetrain for the money. At $120 and free shipping, I’m sure it will suffice for an initial build.

6993C9D2-0249-460A-B89A-4281913EDAF1.jpeg
D24101A1-BCF0-4595-ABA8-5F592ADF9421.jpeg

CD3906BA-BD9B-4537-A3F0-D73E785976F6.jpeg

But the issue here, is I actually will need a lot of control outputs (several servo’s and motors), and I don’t know exactly to do that yet, so my remedy was buying two of these cars and I will combine them into one unit, hopefully. Cars get here next week.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you would have been better off to just buy a radio with more channels, rather than buying two cars. (Each channel will control one servo, or one speed controller, or whatever) Unless you need the drive components also, since that stuff can get a little more tricky. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :cool:

STAG

Beach bummin
Sounds like you would have been better off to just buy a radio with more channels, rather than buying two cars. (Each channel will control one servo, or one speed controller, or whatever) Unless you need the drive components also, since that stuff can get a little more tricky. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :cool:
I would have, and know I eventually will, but I don’t know what I’m doing yet so this is my way of learning.

I know there’s people on here that can teach me but I know their knowledge and time is valuable too and isn’t owed to me. I’m a hands-on learner anyways.

And yeah cost-wise even just a good multi-channel radio is about as much as what these two cars cost together. And this route gets me some steering servo’s and motors. The diffs will likely be too small for practical use for my drivetrain (8” tires) but I will need at least 3 servos, so I am hoping to use the two from the cars, and then I have one more, bigger one, with metal gears, on order.

I’ll be gutting the RC controllers in these kits too, because I want the motions of the joysticks of the machinery to mimic the motions of that of the full-size version. So I’ll be swapping a rotary potentiometer (?) for a linear one etc.

Last edited:

1969honda

Premium Member
Supporting Member
This dude Collin Lewis makes some killer rotary and linear acme screw servos up in the Logan area. Jim Henson used to order a bunch for animatronics in the early 2000s when I was in college.

STAG

Beach bummin
This dude Collin Lewis makes some killer rotary and linear acme screw servos up in the Logan area. Jim Henson used to order a bunch for animatronics in the early 2000s when I was in college.

Awesome! I’ll check his stuff out.

I definitely appreciate any links or leads that can lead me in the right direction.

Being that I’m trying to make it look like it’s full-size counterpart, definitely going to have some creativity to do as far as hiding motors and servos where there are normally hydraulic rams. I have some ideas though.

1969honda

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Robot marketplace, superdroids, Pololu, and I think it was Rex machine that we got a lot of parts and supplies from for the different engineering products.

STAG

Beach bummin
Servo #3 came in today. This one’s rates pretty high, 46kg. I think that’s rated at 1cm from the axis of rotation, so some quick maffs would be roughly 3.3 ft lb of torque. I’m hoping that’s high enough for what I want it to do but won’t know for sure until it obviously installed.
FDD6F069-A216-4D04-83EE-6809A23856A8.jpeg

Being that it’s servo #3 and I only have two servo outputs, I plan to use this one and one from the RC buggy until I learn how to do more channels. The other servo will still be installed on the equipment, it just won’t be active until I get more channels.

STAG

Beach bummin
Question for you RC inclinated people:

Those “550” motors that come in the cars I bought: can they be rotated from an external force without damage? Like without being supplied power.

A little more context: I plan on the front axle having “4wd” capabilities i.e. having a motor attached to it, but I won’t always need or want the front axle pulling. So ideally I would like to be able to switch it on or off. (Won’t need a channel for that, I can put a manual toggle switch on the chassis)

But for the times the front motor would be switched off, the front tires would still be making the motor rotate. Unless I have to build some kind of mechanical “clutch” disengagement that disconnects the front axle from the motor.

STAG

Beach bummin
“Wow, I expected small, but that is smaller than even I would have guessed” - She

C137D158-A912-4C1C-B462-393334DF66B1.jpeg

Cute little 6V motors, geared to 200rpm. I figure 200rpm at 16tpi would equal about 1” of travel in just under 4 seconds. Just spitballing here on a guess of that being about the speed of travel I would expect we’ll see. The manufacturer offers different geared motors of the same size to change the rpm. Of course I have to see if these little motors even make enough torque to do what I want anyways.

And what’s that in the background of the motors? Oh it’s a box 😎 I’m glad Amazon honors Prime to HI.
4E083D03-3C86-4946-B04A-3424A5EEBD01.jpeg