New Cordless Tools

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Unfortunate to hear about @Greg 's Milwaukee grinder experience, that was on my radar. I've been packing a welder around for a decade (and used it on many occasions) but always packed a 110V Dewalt and inverter. I'm really aiming to simplify that. I've personally had great luck with Dewalt cordless and corded goods but my stuff is several iterations behind and if I'm jumping into new stuff, anything is on the table.
I use makita 18volt stuff and milwaukee 12 volt stuff. I run my 18 volt makita angle grinder pretty hard. I use it almost exclusively even though I have a whole drawer of corded grinders. It is just more convenient. I am not sure about the battery life compared to other cordless, but I have 10 batteries so I just switch out without thinking about it. I feel like the life is good though. I have friends with the dewalt version and they seem to like it. You are welcome to borrow my makita and a couple batteries and try it out for a bit if you would like.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
My cordless Ryobi drill let the magic smoke out a few months back and my 1/2” impact just kicked the bucket yesterday. I can’t be mad cause I’ve (ab)used them for probably 6-7 years. Little impact still going strong though and has 3 batteries to itself 🤣

Now I just have to decide what brand to go with because putting my wheels back on manually yesterday made me feel like a 14 bolt owner (peasant)…

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
My cordless Ryobi drill let the magic smoke out a few months back and my 1/2” impact just kicked the bucket yesterday. I can’t be mad cause I’ve (ab)used them for probably 6-7 years. Little impact still going strong though and has 3 batteries to itself 🤣

Now I just have to decide what brand to go with because putting my wheels back on manually yesterday made me feel like a 14 bolt owner (peasant)…
I vote Milwaukee. That is what I am slowly building my tool collection with.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've recently discovered these battery adapters they sell on eBay. Mostly they're 3d printed jobbers. I'd like to try one for some less expensive tools that my brand doesn't have (like a cordless Bauer hot glue gun from HF that's $20) I don't want another new battery and charger but that would be a nice tool to have and quality isn't as critical.

What are your guy's thoughts? Has anyone used these adapters?

Tonkaman

I've recently discovered these battery adapters they sell on eBay. Mostly they're 3d printed jobbers. I'd like to try one for some less expensive tools that my brand doesn't have (like a cordless Bauer hot glue gun from HF that's $20) I don't want another new battery and charger but that would be a nice tool to have and quality isn't as critical.

What are your guy's thoughts? Has anyone used these adapters?
I haven’t used them myself, but have seen lots of positive feedback about them.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I finally found something the DeWalt impact wouldn't do that it should have - it wouldn't push out the ball joints on the Excursion. I had to rig the spindles up in the floor press.

This guy's Milwaukee did short work of his. It'll hurt the wallet, but I may have to switch.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I finally found something the DeWalt impact wouldn't do that it should have - it wouldn't push out the ball joints on the Excursion. I had to rig the spindles up in the floor press.

This guy's Milwaukee did short work of his. It'll hurt the wallet, but I may have to switch.

I just about bought exact gun a week ago. Was installing the mounts for my camper on the new truck and they capture behind the leaf spring bolt.... those things are stupid tight. I couldn't even get it to move by hand with my longest cheater bar I could get on it. Ended up borrowing my pals snap on which removed it like it wasn't even tight. But pretty sure the specs on that Milwaukee are pretty similar to the snap on.

Also the bolt just laughed when I tried to hit it with my Ryobi 😂

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just about bought exact gun a week ago. Was installing the mounts for my camper on the new truck and they capture behind the leaf spring bolt.... those things are stupid tight. I couldn't even get it to move by hand with my longest cheater bar I could get on it. Ended up borrowing my pals snap on which removed it like it wasn't even tight. But pretty sure the specs on that Milwaukee are pretty similar to the snap on.

Also the bolt just laughed when I tried to hit it with my Ryobi 😂
I bought it earlier this year to carry in the motorhome since it has enough torque to remove and tighten the wheels on it if I had to do something on the roadside.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I bought the Dewalt 1/2” high torque impact for when the going gets tough. It’s a beast!!
So apparently mine is the "mid range". I bought it for it's size, and it is nice and small, but apparently I need to add something bigger to the quiver. Your DeWalt makes the same numbers as the Milwaukee and would save me having another battery system in the garage...

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member

FWIW this monster is on sale at Home Depot.
I was compelled to order one. Fuel angle grinder also on sale