New Cordless Tools

I'm going to break down and buy a cordless grinder, ratchet, and impact for the garage and likely a string trimmer and chainsaw for the yard. Is there anything new in battery technology? What should I look out for at the holiday sales? Is Milwaukee still considered the best? I have ryobi drill, saw, and weed sprayer. Love the weed sprayer, but the drills and saw are just adequate.

xjtony

I use Porter Cable for my 20v tools at home. They have been good, but I'm at the point after 5 years the batteries need to be replaced. My DeWalt set for work are made in the same factory. I've only used the Milwaukee battery powered set a little bit, but they seem to be good quality

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Have a full array of ryobi think they are 3-4 years old? Starting to have some battery failures but the tools are great for my need. But I’ll be replacing with Milwaukee eventually if I see good deals.
image.jpg
This collection all came from holiday bundle deals. I doubt I’m into it more than $600

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have no brand loyalty but...... Milwaukee makes WAY more mechanic type tools that fit their battery form factor than Dewalt and most other brands.
I have a 1/2" impact, 3/8 impact, 3/8 ratchet, m12 and m18 drills and 1/4" impacts, M12 dremel and am eyeing the die grinder.
I can't imagine working on cars without them now.
I also love my M18 shop vac for small jobs in the house and cleaning cars out.
I have several family members with Milwaukee chain saws and blowers that they take camping and they love them.

The_Lobbster

Milwaukee all the way, but for me, I will still stick with a corded grinder. My coworker at work has the m18 fuel grinder, and I use it periodically (state job, so they pay for the tools, therefore they get shared), although it works really well, it eats through batteries like crazy if you’re using it hard, and will overheat the batteries fairly easily too if you like to put a lot of pressure into your work.

Just something to think about, besides that, I have their drill, 1/4” driver, 1/2” high torque impact, vacuum and work light, and they’re great.

At home, I have the drill, 1/4” driver, and sawzall, running the same batteries for around 5 years now, they still hold a charge great. Personally I feel that the deWalt feels like a toy in my hand compared to when I pick up the Milwaukee stuff.

Tonkaman

Miluakee and Dewalt easily dominate the market. My work collection probably has about 60 dewalt tools and about 40 miluakee. Most of that comes down to the specific bare tool price.

miluakee batteries are better but cost more money for comparable amp hour. That being said they will last longer and will not fail.

Dewalt really stepped up their game when they ditched the old 18v platform and went with 20v. Their batteries still fail but only after several years of hard use.

*Dewalt just rolled out a new battery platform called Powerstack. These are producing twice the power in half size batteries. So now you can get big amp hours with standard size batteries. I have heard great things about them so far.

The_Lobbster

Dewalt really stepped up their game when they ditched the old 18v platform and went with 20v.
Just a gimmick really, although it is true they did get better when they made the switch. It’s 20v “max”, aka right after you pull it off the charger. A fresh Milwaukee 18v will read close to, or 20v as well. Of course they added the “max” on there just so when the same person that sued subway over the “footlong” that only measured 11” decides to pull out a multimeter, they won’t have to go through a frivolous lawsuit.

Tonkaman

Just a gimmick really, although it is true they did get better when they made the switch. It’s 20v “max”, aka right after you pull it off the charger. A fresh Milwaukee 18v will read close to, or 20v as well. Of course they added the “max” on there just so when the same person that sued subway over the “footlong” that only measured 11” decides to pull out a multimeter, they won’t have to go through a frivolous lawsuit.
I was referring to the new battery mounting style, pin style, and internals. I’m sure the voltage had less to do with its improvement than the packaging changes.

1969honda

Supporting Member
Milwaukee all the way, after 10 years my 3/8" impact finally hit the dust the other day. The two original 1/2 height compact batteries are still going strong. The first 5-6 years the impact got used daily in the shop and traveled with me around the world for Uncle Sam. Last 4-5 years has been home garage use.

I'm eyeing their new hydraulic drive 3/8" for my service truck and home replacement. The 1/2" HD impact I have on the service truck will destroy my shop's dewalt 1/2" in my opinion. I actually left it in the truck on accident for 8 months (mid January thru mid September) with the bigger XC 5 or 8 battery while deployed, came back to work and pulled it out and used in the shop for 3-4 days before charging the battery again.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I have a full set of Dewalt 20v cordless tools with brushless motors (required if you're working around flammable liquids) in my shop and have been quite happy with them, they're surprisingly light and have plenty of power. They've been pretty affordable to pick up as well, I've found killer deals of new tools listed on FB Marketplace.

That said, I have a Milwaukee 18v Fuel tools in my work truck (that's what the company buys) and they're impressive. They seem heavier in the hand and do feel more powerful than the Dewalt tools.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those brands.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
No kidding? Most people selling have piles of those tools and seem to make a living out of selling them.
Yup, they break into peoples cars steal their purse. Go to a grocery store load up gift cards until the stolen credit cards stop working. Then they head to Home Depot purchase the tools with the gift card and sell them online.

Tools are legally purchased with stolen money. They get more money than pawning them with no paper trail.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
I bought the M18 Milwaukee string trimmer this spring and I was blown away by how well it worked. My Crapsman and DeWalt stuff is getting long in the tooth and the "new" XRP batteries I bought a few years ago are starting to wither, so I'm moving to Milwaukee M18 or M12 for any new tools. I'd like to *not* have 13 different chargers on the shelf. I like that the Milwaukee charger does both the M18 and M12.

Just picked up an M18 Fuel Brushless grinder and it's a smooth piece.

Tonkaman

I can tell you from my previous job experience 98% of those are from people that in one form or another broke the law to obtain them.
Over the years I have done several jobs in the heart of downtown. I can’t tell you how many hungry homeless guys just happen to have nice tools they “don’t need anymore”.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Man I don’t know how old my Ryobi cordless stuff is (probably 5-6 years) but the batteries are just now starting to show some wear. I can’t complain about that.

I too dread the idea of starting with new cordless tools and having to “buy-in” to a new brand but I’m sure I will be soon enough. I really like Ryan’s Milwaukee stuff. The smaller impact is sweet