New DD/tow rig?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I tow so rarely that my tundra is fine for me. But if I owned a travel trailer and planned on using it more than once a year I would consider getting a dedicated stripped down f350 gasser and finding some better mpg daily driver. I borrowed an f350 to haul some horses to Wyoming a few months ago and it was the greatest towing experience of my life. Really no comparison to my old 7.3 superduties.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Did you guys end up getting a truck @Greg ?

I like the good chatter about the GMC/Chev in this thread.

No, at the end of the day we couldn't find anything we were totally in love with. We still have the F150 because my wife loves it, we just don't tow anything with it these days due to the overheating issue... we use my 200k mile Chevy 2500 to tow. 🙄

I was really leaning towards a Dodge Ram 1500 Rebel, the 5.7 Hemi runs amazing, I love the 8HP transmission and the rear coil suspension rides amazing.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've ridden in a '17 f150 a few times and it was fine. I crawled into my neighbors '20 sierra 5.3 this morning, it might be an at4 but I'm not certain, and it was nice. I think I'm going to go drive an '18 GMC tomorrow morning. It's got pretty low miles and the price seems somewhat reasonable. I asked if this one was the 10 speed and it's not, just the 8 gears.

I don't currently have anything to tow but am wanting to buy a camp trailer. I already have it picked out, a jayco 174bh. Just waiting to see if I can find one more in line with my budget next year I think. It's pretty light and doesn't have any slides.

This truck will be my daily. I'm about 13 miles to work so my commute isn't bad at all. I wish I would have had a truck while I moved and put in a yard, it's fitting though that I'm about to buy one now that that is mostly all done. We'll see how things go tomorrow.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have about 25k on my ‘21 gmc 1500 now. I Love the truck more and more every day. The cooled seats are amazing. Sure wish I had that after a day one the lake with the boat. Dry my shorts out quick!

I had a valve spring brake on it several thousand miles ago. My wife drove it to work that day, about a mile from our house. As she pulled into the driveway she missed a little and backed up to fix her position. I was out there watching. When she put it in reverse it just fell on its face. I could tell right away it was missing, then started smoking. Dealer got it right in and fixed. They did all the springs on that one side. The other side is a time bomb. Pretty common failure.

Anyways, I need a truck here and a truck in Alaska pretty soon so this will probably be up for sale soon. Sad day when that happens.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
There isn't much that would make me, as a sweaty boy, more happy than cooled seats.

edit: this is the one I'm going to try and drive tomorrow...

I'd like to check out this one but he hasn't returned my message yet.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Just my 2cents, the infotainment system in the chevy is garbage. Mine (2019) will glitch on a regular basis. If I am talking on the phone for more than just a few minutes, the system locks up. Buttons don't work, screen wont work, and sometimes it wont even shut off after I turn the truck off. It is even worse when running the GPS, and then getting a call. Apple says it's not their issue, and chevy doesn't have a fix. my GPS is running at least 80% of the time I am in the truck, so this is a BIG bother to me. I have learned to just unplug the phone and talk on it when a call comes in instead of using the car audio. Deal killer, no.. but something I wish I would have known prior to buying the truck.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
There isn't much that would make me, as a sweaty boy, more happy than cooled seats.

edit: this is the one I'm going to try and drive tomorrow...

I'd like to check out this one but he hasn't returned my message yet.
Make sure the 5.3 has a high enough tow rating for the trailer you're looking at. When I was looking at trucks I was disappointed in the low tow rating of the 1500 with the V8.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Gross weight on the trailer I want is 4150 and the hitch weight is like 265. My lx was rated high enough to tow it but I wouldn't have trusted it with the vapor lock stuff I had dealt with.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I was talking to a guy yesterday about his ram TRX. He had three raptors prior, and says build quality is night and day better with the ram. Quieter, more solid. Comparing my gladiator rubi to my bronco and expedition, I agree and like what stellantis is doing these days on that front. I was unimpressed with my 2005 ram 1500, but if I was truck shopping now I’d drive some for sure.

Bart

Glad this thread is going again. I'm thinking about selling my 2002 DMax with 260k on the clock and getting a newer GM 1500 for a daily. I used to tow with a 5.3, both in a 1500 and a Suburban. They did fine and are much more comfortable than my current truck. It might be a crazy move because my truck needs nothing and just had all the front end, steering, hydroboost, hubs and brakes done in the last 2 years/4000 mles.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was talking to a guy yesterday about his ram TRX. He had three raptors prior, and says build quality is night and day better with the ram. Quieter, more solid. Comparing my gladiator rubi to my bronco and expedition, I agree and like what stellantis is doing these days on that front. I was unimpressed with my 2005 ram 1500, but if I was truck shopping now I’d drive some for sure.

FWIW, I'm pretty positively shocked at the build quality on my JT. There's been some impressive rains the past few days that my "truck" has been subjected to. Especially being a "low end" Rubicon, it's quite well put together

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I could tell you about the 12 or so warranty repairs on my JT - not a first year model either. Just got it back for a wiring issue in the passenger front door (mirror heat shorting to blind spot monitoring, was bent pin), and now the camera in the tailgate is malfunctioning. Still like the truck, but considerably more issues than the wife's JKU

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I could tell you about the 12 or so warranty repairs on my JT - not a first year model either. Just got it back for a wiring issue in the passenger front door (mirror heat shorting to blind spot monitoring, was bent pin), and now the camera in the tailgate is malfunctioning. Still like the truck, but considerably more issues than the wife's JKU

Good to hear :D (I'm in the honeymoon phase.... <sarcasm>this truck will never disappoint me</sarcasm>)

There's an old farmer adage I heard once. If it has tits or tires, you're going to be disappointed with it.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin

Strange, my JT was one of the first built Rubicon's in the first model year and it's been in the dealership once for recalls/repairs.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Must have been built on the Friday of a holiday weekend. :grimacing:

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Greg, did you get the steering box and rear window done? I've also had - third brake light, AC reprogramming, engine management reprogramming, both visors, transfer case leak, hardtop repaired (because of the window change), 2 interior panels replaced (breakage from rear window work), multiple windshields (can't blame jeep), and now its looking like the backup camera (this is what I can remember off the top of my head).

Likely on all Rubicons (not on mine yet) is the rear axle locker sensor failure (leaks grease internally). I know up to about 6 months ago dealers were replacing the entire axle assembly. Maybe the sensor has been produced enough to just replace it. Z Automotive has a harness that "fixes" the problem.