New DD/tow rig?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Pretty sure I don't want a new diesel truck... as I sit on the side of the freeway, after my work truck (2012 F550 6.7 Powerstroke) just lost power when it went into regen mode.

I think all the emissions add-ons (DEF, exhaust filters, EGR) cause 90% of the engine issues with modern diesels.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Yeah, the round shifter on the dash is a big dislike. One of my concerns with the Hemi engine is if you're not on top of your oil changes when they due, the lifters are prone to collapsing. Catherine isn't the best at getting her oil changed when it's needed, so that causes some concern for me.
Think it’s the rollers failing and flattening cams. At least that’s what I’ve read in my research of the 6.4 that shares same ailment. Seems to be 120ish miles. Think if you planned new lifters at 100k and stayed ahead of it NBD

Greg

Admin
These are the biggest reasons I won't buy a modern diesel. It's all such a joke.

Yep! I looked at a deleted 2013 Dodge Cummins last week. Older truck with high miles, but it has been without DEF and EGR blocked most of its life. If it were a manual transmission I'd have been tempted.

Think it’s the rollers failing and flattening cams. At least that’s what I’ve read in my research of the 6.4 that shares same ailment. Seems to be 120ish miles. Think if you planned new lifters at 100k and stayed ahead of it NBD

So replacing the valevtrain parts is considered preventative maintenance on a Dodge Hemi... the Chevy is sounding better and better!

😆😉

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Based on my cash budget. My next truck will very likely be a 6.2 raptor with airbags.
I love the Boss 6.2 and 6 speed in my f250 but it's a rougher ride on the freeway than I'd like as a daily (even though I enjoy DDing it- sometimes it's annoying to park a 23' long truck).
I'm in love with my 8'4" longbed for it's usefulness but we've started pulling an enclosed trailer more for the convenience of loading unloading furniture and somewhere to sit out of the sun at races. So we may be able to get away with the 5.5" short bed.

OR I may build a long bed raptor out of a 6.2 6 speed f150 using stock raptor takeoff parts.- this seems more likely the solution.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Pretty sure I don't want a new diesel truck... as I sit on the side of the freeway, after my work truck (2012 F550 6.7 Powerstroke) just lost power when it went into regen mode.

I think all the emissions add-ons (DEF, exhaust filters, EGR) cause 90% of the engine issues with modern diesels.

These are the biggest reasons I won't buy a modern diesel. It's all such a joke.

EXACTLY why I will keep my 100k mile 2006 Duramax and why my son says he will keep his 280k mile 2002 Duramax.

I actually have been thinking about driving the truck more lately when the weather is nice to split the miles more between it and the Jeep.

Mike

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a 2021 gmc 1500. Loaded up with all the options. 17000 miles now. 6.2 and 10 speed with the max tow package. Towed my LJ to Arizona two weeks ago in my 24’ enclosed. I was super impressed with how well it did. It handled the load great at 70-75mph. I won’t speak to the interior because that is all preference.

MPG: well….don’t hold your breath on 24. My best over 400 miles is 19.8 according to the computer. I’m sure it was less. You may see 24 at times. I’ve even seen 99. 😂 I see 12-13 in combined driving. I’m very conservative with my driving style. Don’t forget it need 91 fuel too.

I love the truck.

Greg

Admin
I have a 2021 gmc 1500. Loaded up with all the options. 17000 miles now. 6.2 and 10 speed with the max tow package. Towed my LJ to Arizona two weeks ago in my 24’ enclosed. I was super impressed with how well it did. It handled the load great at 70-75mph. I won’t speak to the interior because that is all preference.

MPG: well….don’t hold your breath on 24. My best over 400 miles is 19.8 according to the computer. I’m sure it was less. You may see 24 at times. I’ve even seen 99. 😂 I see 12-13 in combined driving. I’m very conservative with my driving style. Don’t forget it need 91 fuel too.

I love the truck.

Sounds pretty similar to what we're considering. Is 91 octane a requirement, or is that just for towing? My Gen 4 6.0 doesn't care what octane I'm running, but it's much lower compression & not direct injection. Like I said earlier, if we can get close to 18 MPG average the wife would be happy. I looked at the 2022 5.3 vs the 6.2 and the EPA rated mileage difference is minimal, with the 6.2 loosing 1 MPG in the City.

My friend that was getting high MPG out of his 1500 w/ a 6.2 is running at 65 MPH or less on a 2 hour commute, he hasn't reset his MPG average since getting the truck and it's at 58k miles. He drives a LOT. Obviously not the typical scenario, but impressive none the less.

Screenshot_20220125-203657_Messages.jpg

We did test drive this brand new 2022 RST with the 6.2 and 10 speed.... I really liked the engine & transmission, but there were some funky things about it. It rode like crap on big bumps, but that's due to the 22" wheels. :skeptic: The RST is a mid-level trim, but the interior felt very work-truck like. Dash & controls were a little too simple & plastic feeling.

20220122_133113.jpg
20220122_133133.jpg

One thing I hated was the steering wheel position at my height.... with the steering wheel adjusted all the way up (comfortable for me) the top of the wheel cut off the top 1/3 view of the small gauges!

20220122_133148.jpg

Greg

Admin
We test drove a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Rebel yesterday, with the 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed auto transmission. It was used with around 60k miles on it, hard to find a new one to test drive these days!

It rode quite well with the rear coil springs, impressive actually. This is the 3rd coil sprung rear Dodge I've driven, they're impressive. The Rebel has a pretty throaty exhaust note with the Hemi, on just a quick test drive it seemed to average 16-18 MPG. The interior was much nicer and more more high-end than the new Chevy above.

The Rebel has these Red accents inside, they're a bit much. The Goodyear Duratrac tire prints on the seats are lame, it's a terrible tire. 😆

A new one would be worth considering, long as we can make the $$$ work.

20220205_124806.jpg
20220205_124845.jpg
20220205_124819.jpg

At this point, I'm still not sure what we're going to do.