New family wheeler

pELYgroso

'Merica
We picked up an '09 JKU today. 46k miles with a brand new engine with about 20 miles on it. Teraflex alpine arm lift, built Tera44 front axle, 37's, all sorts of bells and whistles, blah blah. We're excited to use it a bunch this year. I have a couple of questions:

Who's put an RTT on a JKU? This one has a heavy duty yakima rack and I'm wondering if it will support an RTT.

I took it out for a shake down run today and the front locker had a hard time unlocking. I tried "the dance" and it only unlocked after a mile through a neighborhood heading to a friend's house. But now the front locker light is still blinking. Any suggestions?

My buddy who sold me the jeep has some new Teraflex Fox 2.0 shocks for the rear that he'd let go for a good deal. I was looking at the New falcon socks too. Anybody have experience with the Fox 2.0's?

So far I plan on the RTT, cutting and capping the bumper to make it a "stubby" bumper, replacing the front and back cameras that are broken, and adding some mounts for spare fuel and water.20180211_122517_HDR.jpgIMG_20180211_192444_007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nice looking Jeep.

I don't think the hardtop will support that much weight. You would want to find a roof rack that ties into the roll bar like the Teraflex Nebo rack or the Frontrunner rack.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You can put a RTT on the rack you have......you just can't put any people in it :)

The fox shocks are good shocks. That being said, I have never ran a shock on a jeep as good as the falcons. Especially for overland type of stuff.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
As far as the locker issue, it sounds like a plunger/sensor. They are a pain to change. Some people claim you can change them without pulling the carrier out, but the last one I did seemed like it would be a much better idea to pull carrier.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Nice looking Jeep.

I don't think the hardtop will support that much weight. You would want to find a roof rack that ties into the roll bar like the Teraflex Nebo rack or the Frontrunner rack.
Thanks, I'll look into those!
As far as the locker issue, it sounds like a plunger/sensor. They are a pain to change. Some people claim you can change them without pulling the carrier out, but the last one I did seemed like it would be a much better idea to pull carrier.
Is this something that you could give me a hand with or is it enough of a PITA that I should just take it to the dealer?
Good looking JKU. Looks like he already took care of some pin striping for you. :cool:
Most of the lines that are visible on the body are water lines from being super dirty. It definitely has some striping though....and will be getting more, so I'm not too worried about it. :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Congrats on the JKU, Tyler!

Davy and Hickey are right, you'll need a roof rack to support the weight... the mounts you have now sit on the fiberglass hardtop and it's not built to carry any real weight. I posted a thread about JKU roof racks awhile ago, but it was just before TeraFlex came out with the Nebo rack so it wasn't included in the discussion. I like how the Nebo almost looks like a factory option, but still supports a load by tieing into the roll bar. Here's the thread.... - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/jku-roof-rack-options.109124/

Far as the shocks, I think the Falcons are better than the Fox shocks without a doubt. Even the affordable Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks are a drastic improvement over the standard Fox shocks.

Agility Customs

Vendor
You have to pull the carrier to change the plunger sensor. Its the only way to do it correctly. I can get you hooked up Tyler!

pELYgroso

'Merica
Congrats on the JKU, Tyler!

Davy and Hickey are right, you'll need a roof rack to support the weight... the mounts you have now sit on the fiberglass hardtop and it's not built to carry any real weight. I posted a thread about JKU roof racks awhile ago, but it was just before TeraFlex came out with the Nebo rack so it wasn't included in the discussion. I like how the Nebo almost looks like a factory option, but still supports a load by tieing into the roll bar. Here's the thread.... - https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/jku-roof-rack-options.109124/

Far as the shocks, I think the Falcons are better than the Fox shocks without a doubt. Even the affordable Falcon 2.1 mono-shocks are a drastic improvement over the standard Fox shocks.
How did you like your slimline II rack? That looks nice! Was it a PITA to remove the top with that rack?
Also, the shocks I'm looking at are the remote reservoir adjustable Fox 2.0's. Would you recommend the falcons over those as well?
You have to pull the carrier to change the plunger sensor. Its the only way to do it correctly. I can get you hooked up Tyler!
The guy I bought it from said that the Tera 44 w/ new gears was installed last year so the dealership should warranty it. I'm going to call them. Where are you located? If they don't help me out, maybe I'll bring it over.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How did you like your slimline II rack? That looks nice! Was it a PITA to remove the top with that rack?

Also, the shocks I'm looking at are the remote reservoir adjustable Fox 2.0's. Would you recommend the falcons over those as well?

I love the Slimline II.... it's expensive, but very well made and thought out. The way it mounts is super-clean compared to other options. I leave the rack in place when I take the top off.... built a electric hoist where I can lift them off together.

I would recommend the Falcons over the Foxes.... so the Falcon shocks were built to be direct competitors with the Fox shocks and be better than them in every aspect. Do you know what hunts Foxes? Falcons... :oops: :D