New Ford 7.3L Gasser

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My neighbor has been talking about picking up a new Ford 7.3 gasser for a while. He went and ordered it Friday.
I haven't been in one yet, but they seem to be pretty sweet.
Any of you have any real world experience in one yet?

4x4_Welder

I'm waiting for the new Ford chassis to get here, supposedly the 7.3 is replacing the V10. I love the sound of the V10, but a big 8 might be interesting.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
No experience but I've been watching the heck out of that powerplant. It doesn't meet the output of the current diesels but coming from an IDI-T it would be a huge upgrade with nothing but gas and oil to maintain it.

I'm anxious to see the power numbers in the future iterations, I think there is a bunch of built in potential.

I'm all for a F350 CCLB 7.3 Tremor.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
No experience but I've been watching the heck out of that powerplant. It doesn't meet the output of the current diesels but coming from an IDI-T it would be a huge upgrade with nothing but gas and oil to maintain it.

I'm anxious to see the power numbers in the future iterations, I think there is a bunch of built in potential.

I'm all for a F350 CCLB 7.3 Tremor.

I was looking at Ecoboot 3.5's a few months ago and was floored when they are almost identical to the output numbers of my 6.0 PSD. Gas motors are pretty amazing these days.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. The architecture of the 7.3 "godzilla" looks great. STOUT bottom end. That's a 446 cubic inch small block. I think this thing is going to have a LOT of potential for even higher power levels. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket does with it.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Bump anyone have any experience with these yet?

Might try and pickup some side work hauling trailers. Doing the math it would take me a long time to pay for a diesel option. I can’t believe the used diesel market right now. Selling for 10k more than I sold my truck for a few years ago with 4x the miles

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Bump anyone have any experience with these yet?

Might try and pickup some side work hauling trailers. Doing the math it would take me a long time to pay for a diesel option. I can’t believe the used diesel market right now. Selling for 10k more than I sold my truck for a few years ago with 4x the miles

I'm hearing good things from my fleet friends about them. They do get better mileage than their V10 units but about the same as the 6.2

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm hearing good things from my fleet friends about them. They do get better mileage than their V10 units but about the same as the 6.2

I did the math with an average of 10mpg, it would take me 120ish trips to pay for the diesel option and as I only plan maybe 2-3 a month for a year or two don’t think I can justify diesel other than resale will be better.

Loads will be pretty light and from what I’ve researched seems even at max gross people are getting 5mpg.

Longer service intervals (by 5k) with diesel but since the capacity is half figure that will wash.

dutchman

KI7KSV
I've been doing a lot of computer shopping for the future. Pulling my travel trailer and misc stuff for work I think Ford's 7.3 v8 or the 6.4 Hemi will probably be the next engine I choose. I don't think I pull often or heavy enough for the extra diesel cost.

That could all change if the rumors of a diesel Tundra are true...

Back on topic, I'd love to hear some real world feedback on the 7.3. Bonus points if it has the Tremor package.