New gate up Butterfield.

Jeepj667

We went up Butterfield today to try and see the slide. A couple hundred yards past the turn at the pass there is a new gate blocking the road. I didn't see any "no trespassing" signs, so you can probably still hike the rest of the way. Just sucks, I'm sure that now the gate is there it will never come back down. Even though the slide was on the opposite side of the mine.

Jeepj667

The pass is NOT gated. You can still go down Middle Canyon. The gate is just beyond the turn where you start climbing up toward the pit. Kennecott has its property very well marked with signs and K-rails all the way up the canyon, but there aren't any signs or rails up to the overlook so I can't imagine that property is owned by Kennecott.

Caleb

According to Accuterra, pretty much the entire pass on both sides is private property (presumably Kennecott).

North side of the road is kennecott (pretty sure that all includes the overlook as well), south side is a mix of private and kennecott. Kennecott has been trying to get it all for years.