Jeep New Jeeps???

Caleb

Your Jeep is gorgeous. It should move pretty quickly. I hear ya on dealing with KSL people. That’s the main reason I don’t want my wife to get something new :rofl: I’m sure we’ll just a end up eating the couple grand and trading it in.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Tempt, yes. Staying the financial course for the next few months, yes. Makes me out of the running. Nice looking rig

This..... I've been having some issues with the old F150 and been thinking about getting something new as I'll need a reliable commuter in the not so distant future. The wife mentioned being interested in a new 2 door Jeep. So I set out building one on the webpage.... boy Jeep sure is proud of those new ones, I was shocked what the price came out to be with minimal add-ons to a rubicon.

rholbrook

This..... I've been having some issues with the old F150 and been thinking about getting something new as I'll need a reliable commuter in the not so distant future. The wife mentioned being interested in a new 2 door Jeep. So I set out building one on the webpage.... boy Jeep sure is proud of those new ones, I was shocked what the price came out to be with minimal add-ons to a rubicon.
Wait until you see the new Gladiator come out. Barebones version will start in the low to mid 30s. Waiting lists a mile long.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
is yours a Canadian Jeep?

It is.

If that's actually his window sticker, then at the bottom (left) it says the vin starts with 1C4, which is what the Watts Jeep I linked to starts with and I know for sure the Watts Jeep is a Canadian Jeep

In a VIN, the first character identifies the country where the vehicle was built. In this case, 1 = USA. (If it had been built in Canada, there would be a 2 instead.) However, where the vehicle was built is irrelevant. What really matters is for which market the vehicle was built. If a vehicle was built in America to US specifications, we consider it an "American" vehicle. OTOH, if a vehicle was built in America to Canadian specifications, then we would consider it a "Canadian" vehicle. That's the significant difference.

As a reminder, for years Dodge simultaneously built Ram trucks in America and in Mexico. The ones built here have a 1 at the front of the VIN, while the ones built down there have a 3 at the start of the VIN. But since both were built to US specification, this has no effect whatsoever on the vehicle's compliance and/or warranty.

it was bought in the USA and then used as a rental in canada.

I'm guessing this is what the selling dealer told you. I'm sorry to report this is completely incorrect. Your Jeep (assuming that's its VIN in the window sticker you posted) was built to Canadian specification, not US. It was initially sold new via Crosstown Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Edmonton, Canada on April 4, 2018 to Discount Car Truck Rentals in North York, Ontario. Chrysler still lists the rental agency as the owner of this vehicle (which means no Chrysler dealership has submitted an update to the factory about it).

Not that Chrysler would have this wrong, but I decided to verify this information via a title check. Sure enough, this VIN was initially registered in Canada as a rental vehicle. When they took it to an auction in America on October 4, the Jeep was announced as a Canadian import.

IMPORTANT: Chrysler's computer says this vehicle is still in Canadian spec, meaning they think it has not been converted to US spec. In other words, Chrysler says the computer/odometer still displays kilometers and they have never converted it to display miles. This could most definitely cause you issues with warranty claims in the future. Are you sure your odometer is reading in miles, @gijohn40?

If you want copies of any of this documentation, let me know.

Last edited:

Caleb

Bringing this back up. How do the new JLUs tow? Could I tow my rzr xp4 1000? I'm considering getting rid of my truck instead of my wife's 4runner and so we'd have the 4runner and probably a JLU. Just curious if I would regret not having something little bigger to tow with.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've towed my SXS once with my JK. It's a heavy sxs at nearly 3k lbs. I would rather not do that again unless I absolutely had to. Stability was fine, but it worked that 3.6 pretty hard IMO.

Caleb

Wow, is yours really 3K lbs? According to the mfg, my 2017 xp4 should be 1565 dry, so probably 1700 loaded. My trailer is a "heavy" dual axle, with drop down tail gate 18' trailer that probably weighs equally as much as the rzr. Much longer than I need, so was contemplating a single axle shorter trailer (maybe even an aluminum trailer, though I've never been a fan of them but it's been many years since I've dealt with one).

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sorry, I meant to say it's almost 2k (1898 lbs advertised crb weight). I've been thinking about the Roxor too much lately. My trailer is a very light single axle.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
It is.

In a VIN, the first character identifies the country where the vehicle was built. In this case, 1 = USA. (If it had been built in Canada, there would be a 2 instead.) However, where the vehicle was built is irrelevant. What really matters is for which market the vehicle was built. If a vehicle was built in America to US specifications, we consider it an "American" vehicle. OTOH, if a vehicle was built in America to Canadian specifications, then we would consider it a "Canadian" vehicle. That's the significant difference.

As a reminder, for years Dodge simultaneously built Ram trucks in America and in Mexico. The ones built here have a 1 at the front of the VIN, while the ones built down there have a 3 at the start of the VIN. But since both were built to US specification, this has no effect whatsoever on the vehicle's compliance and/or warranty.

I'm guessing this is what the selling dealer told you. I'm sorry to report this is completely incorrect. Your Jeep (assuming that's its VIN in the window sticker you posted) was built to Canadian specification, not US. It was initially sold new via Crosstown Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Edmonton, Canada on April 4, 2018 to Discount Car Truck Rentals in North York, Ontario. Chrysler still lists the rental agency as the owner of this vehicle (which means no Chrysler dealership has submitted an update to the factory about it).

Not that Chrysler would have this wrong, but I decided to verify this information via a title check. Sure enough, this VIN was initially registered in Canada as a rental vehicle. When they took it to an auction in America on October 4, the Jeep was announced as a Canadian import.

IMPORTANT: Chrysler's computer says this vehicle is still in Canadian spec, meaning they think it has not been converted to US spec. In other words, Chrysler says the computer/odometer still displays kilometers and they have never converted it to display miles. This could most definitely cause you issues with warranty claims in the future. Are you sure your odometer is reading in miles, @gijohn40?

If you want copies of any of this documentation, let me know.

I took it to the dealership in bountiful and they conformed your research.. even though it reads in miles not kilometers it is in deed a canadian vehicle and they will not do any warranty work on it. unless I have a canadian address on file....

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If you could get the combined weight down to around 2200 it might not be so bad, get a trailer with the axle set far back though, so you can haul the sxs facing forward. They are not aerodynamic loaded backwards and I can absolutely feel the extra wind drag when I load mine that way. The way the body and roof are slanted Mae's it cup the wind.