Jeep New Jeeps???

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
My JKUR has the cold weather package which means heated seats and auto climate control along with heated mirrors and rear window. It doesn't have heated steering wheel.

Caleb

@gijohn40 is yours a Canadian Jeep? If so, any issues with warranty? Everything I’ve found (granted it’s all at least a few years old) says Jeep won’t honor the warranty of a Canadian Jeep is the US.

Bart

John, I wonder if your VIN is like the one that my son just got. He recently purchased a used 2018 JKUR and the VIN number starts with a JL.

Caleb

If that's actually his window sticker, then at the bottom (left) it says the vin starts with 1C4, which is what the Watts Jeep I linked to starts with and I know for sure the Watts Jeep is a Canadian Jeep (most of Watts' "new" vehicles are Canadian). It also has his mileage warranty on that sticker in km instead of miles (that's really what made me wonder if it was Canadian).

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
it was bought in the USA and then used as a rental in canada. the 1C4 brakes down to 1 being a US model, the C is Chrysler. at least that is what I remember from years ago.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I just drove a turbo4cyl. It was pretty dang awesome. Smooth power, good pick up, plenty of pep. It felt very similar to driving the pentastar 3.6 actually.

I may seriously need to sell my JKU.

Last edited:

Caleb

Quick update on this. We finally went and test drove a new JL. My wife loved it. It was a full build (40" tires, wheels, 4.5" Teraflex kit, bumpers, etc) done by the dealer on a fully loaded turbo 4cylinder Rubicon. My son was mad the rest of the day because we didn't get it ("Dad, Mom's Jeep would be as cool as the Raptor" is what he kept telling me :p ). I asked if she wanted to drive a stock one to feel the difference and she looked at me like, what a stupid question. :rofl: If it hadn't been at LHM, we likely would have pulled the trigger. My wife has always been weird with colors of vehicles. She almost always ends up with Black or White but absolutely hates Grey vehicles. This one was a new Sting Grey, which looks like the Cement Grey Ford has on their vehicles, and she loved it. They call it a flat grey, but it's still a glossy finish, just no metallic flake in it. I think that's now the color she's watching for. We want to look at a couple other vehicles (Land Rover Evoque, Porche Macan Turbo...totally different vehicles from the Jeep) but I suspect she'll end up with a Jeep.

Caleb

I didn’t drive it (made my wife, she never test drives her vehicles so I made her drive it). I asked her about it though and she said when she was getting on the freeway and stepped on it she said it felt a bit like the Raptor where you can feel the power kick in. That may just be (probably was) the turbos kicking in but she was happy with it. I don’t think it had been regeared. I mentioned that to my wife (probably hadn’t been regeared so we’d probably have to do that if we went that big).

So, based on my wife’s feedback, it was good. My gut is it needed to be regeared.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've heard of people running 37's on JL Rubicons (4.10 gears stock) with the 2.0T and 8 speed auto and feeling like it was just fine, no need to regear. I'll be curious to see what kind of real world MPG's one of these gets with big tires without being re-geared and then setup with the right gear ratio.

IMO, I can't wait to see someone come up with a tune for the 2.0T and add more torque & HP. As long as the engine is built right, I think it would last with a little more fuel, timing & boost. ;)

Have you seen the thread about the 2.0T and the eTorque setup? https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/the-jl-2-0-turbo-engine-with-e-torque.115595/

Caleb

Cool, I'll checkout that thread. I honestly knew nothing about that engine's existence until I started looking in to Jeeps when I started this thread.

Trate D

I am not affiliated in anyway with LHMS but that JL build you drove is awesome. I wheeled with them during winter jamboree and it did great. They drove it down, wheeled it and drove it back home. They said the power is still there even with the 39.5 km3’s (really about a 38) and 4.10’s it drove and duned like a champ.

Caleb

I am not affiliated in anyway with LHMS but that JL build you drove is awesome. I wheeled with them during winter jamboree and it did great. They drove it down, wheeled it and drove it back home. They said the power is still there even with the 39.5 km3’s (really about a 38) and 4.10’s it drove and duned like a champ.

It was a nice jeep for sure. Couple issues I had with it, it got some minor body damage at the jamboree (they've fixed it), it has ~900 miles on it, the wheels and bumpers are ugly (bright red wheels and bumpers isn't my thing :D ), and the biggest issue is it's LHM. Despite it having had body damage and having more than a months worth of miles on it, they still wanted full MSRP + ~$15K in the aftermarket parts (they were at ~$70K for it). With that said, I did zero negotiating with them. I had absolutely no intention of buying yesterday, but my wife wanted to drive one and LHM was the closest/most convenient at the time. I'm 100% confident I could go have just about any other dealer build the same thing for the same price and it will be a factory new jeep without a month's worth of miles and no prior body damage. I'm even more confident I could buy the same (non-built) Jeep and have a shop do the same build for less :D . However, I really don't want to go over 37" tires, and kind of prefer 35" tires.

Funny thing about vehicles like that Jeep (happens in my Raptor all the time too). It's an eye catcher and people stare a lot. My son loves to watch people watching us and he calls it out all the time (Dad! That guy is totally staring at the Raptor :rofl: ) . That happened a couple times in our short test drive :D

rholbrook

I am really close to pulling the trigger on a new JLU Rubicon. I shouldn't have driven one. I have to say I am really impressed with the 4cyl turbo. Seat of the pants feels like it would stomp on the v6 I have in my current Rubicon. I am trying to decide if I trade my 2016 JKU in and not deal with KSL or try to sell it on KSL. Anyone want to make me an offer on my 2016 Rubicon? Does the picture tempt anyone? I personally love the color with the matching top, flares and AEV wheels.IMG_8007.JPG