New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I could be wrong, but I believe the ECU is tuned for whatever octane rating they set it at. Likely 87 as I think that's most places "regular". With that being said, I don't believe the ECU will keep advancing timing incase you are running better than 87. It will only retard timing if you are running less than 87 and it detects knock.
The 6.2 in my truck calls for "premium", but I think it really wants 93 premium. I've ran 87 without seeing any difference, but I don't hot rod either. I'm a bit nervous to try 85. Come pulling season it will always have at least 91. I fill up at Costco and they only have 85 or 91. So it's been 91, but at the same price as most places 87.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I just do what my vehicles "require" because I don't believe that adding premium will make a difference.
The wife's Highlander requires 87 and my Hemi requires 88. The Murphy's Express by my house has clear 88 so I do that most of the time.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I just do what my vehicles "require" because I don't believe that adding premium will make a difference.
The wife's Highlander requires 87 and my Hemi requires 88. The Murphy's Express by my house has clear 88 so I do that most of the time.

I usually just run the dishwater gas for the reasons you specified. I just thought I'd make an experiment to see if things worked a little better or not? I'll know on the next trip if the 91 octane vs the 85 makes a difference

J-mobzz

Not sure why, but my Tacoma will gain 3-4 MPG with non-ethanol 88
Non benzene fuel use up-to 10% ethanol to gain the octane rating I believe but ethanol is less efficient than benzene. That why fuel like e85 is less efficient but has a higher octane rating but is still cheaper than other high octane fuels.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I’ll do my part to muddy the waters in regards to choices and info. 😂 I’ve already got a Chev dually with the 6.6 gasser on order, but the ETA is several months out...
This was a comment from a few weeks ago, and my contribution to gasser tow rig chat. Well, after my 6.6 gasser dually truck order ETA was pushed back an additional few months, I cancelled it and ended up bailing on gassers and the “light duty”market entirely. For better or worse, I bought a nearly new (5k miles) ‘19 Chev 6500 Dmax, Allison 6spd, 4x4, crew, but full of re-gen/DEF nonsense. 🙄🤷‍♂️

...now back to gasser tow rig chat. 🤘

mbryson

Supporting Member
Just a pre-EJS update on "Sweaty Betty". She's got 108k miles on it now. Still runs awesome and handles the load well. MPG has dipped a bit since the tire/wheel change. The payoff is slightly easier hill climbs manifested by 2-3 more mph available on the tough hills. After a run for Pres Day and another run a few weeks later I thought it wise to do some 100k maint to the truck.

A6104F55-51CD-4633-A94E-122661333D12.jpeg
  • new exhaust---I'm not sure if downhill back pressure blew my Magnaflow muffler apart but one the way down to Helper one night we had a few sparks. Turns out the tail pipe was dragging. Back of the muffler was blown apart and tailpipe was just hanging over the axle.
  • new spark plugs---Had this done at the dealer at a cost. I'm looking at it as a bit of "insurance" (and laziness).
  • new Kenwood tunes---Much better bluetooth than the previous Jensen unit and a USB port that I can just dump all my MP3 files to and not have to play tunes off my phone. I need to spend some time with the USB interface to see if I can make playlists easily or if it's easier to just swap from USB to USB for the various flavors of music I enjoy.

We'll see how we like the new spark plugs but I don't assume they'll make a HUGE difference in mpg but who knows.

I'm still impressed with the Super Duty chassis and hauling the two Jeeps on a gooseneck. It handles the load very well. I had a panic stop at the Colorado River bridge earlier this year. ABS and everything going off and the truck/trailer stayed in good shape despite my driving "skill". I LOVE the integrated brake controller. Not the biggest fan of the deckover trailer vs a "car hauler". I'm not going to make any changes unless I run across the right, cheap trailer. Not even looking so I doubt that's happening?

• Load is "high" compared to a "car hauler". I don't have any instability or anything but I can't imagine aerodynamics are in my favor at all
  • 763C9F0E-947C-4382-840F-6AAF0D0F99D9.jpeg
  • Deckover makes it impossible to see your tires. Not a biggie in the day but impossible to see anything at night.
  • 0D402862-FAA7-4F4E-B5E1-F2D854817D3D.jpeg
  • Goosenecks are heavy. Probably not as big of a deal if you're running 500+ HP and 800+ ft lbs but the V10 is putting out 360 hp/450 torque. A lighter trailer/load would be in my truck's favor
About the only regret I have with the truck is the short bed and the clearance lights. I don't hate the 6.75' bed but REALLY hate the short bed fuel tank esp for a gasser. I am not real willing to drop $1400ish on a Titan or similar but it's more tempting than I'd like to admit. 175-190 mile range is a bit of a bummer. Not that different than 225 mile (comparing to my '99 7.3L) but still different. I'm just not a clearance light kind of guy I guess?

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I don’t believe Titan makes replacement tanks for gassers. I’m looking into copying Carl’s aux tank idea that will pump the gas from that tank into my main tank. 10 more gallons would be awesome.

You should consider that titan bed tank thats posted for sale on here, not that you have room in your bed for it or anything.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I don’t believe Titan makes replacement tanks for gassers. I’m looking into copying Carl’s aux tank idea that will pump the gas from that tank into my main tank. 10 more gallons would be awesome.

You should consider that titan bed tank thats posted for sale on here, not that you have room in your bed for it or anything.

I have clicked that link MANY times but being “in bed”, it just won’t work for me. I tie stuff down and such all the time in the bed. I’m just going to have to stop for fuel. I’m not willing to spend the cash to get more range so I’ll just need to do my fuel stops as they come

haulinshine

Spare tire removal would work ok. I’ve thought of putting an Excursion tank or cab/chassis tank there. I’ve just kind of talked myself out of it. Put the filler tube in the back of the wheel well kind of thing.
you could try and get your hands on a take off from the new superduty gassers, they have 50gal tanks factory now. I think it would probably work just fine as ford hasn't made any real changes to the frame, other than making everything aluminum, from our generation of trucks to current gen. another option would be to grab one from a long bed in the scrap yard though it would only take you from 30 to 36.

mbryson

Supporting Member
you could try and get your hands on a take off from the new superduty gassers, they have 50gal tanks factory now. I think it would probably work just fine as ford hasn't made any real changes to the frame, other than making everything aluminum, from our generation of trucks to current gen. another option would be to grab one from a long bed in the scrap yard though it would only take you from 30 to 36.
1615403779934.jpeg

I guess it is a 30 gallon tank? That’s the most I’ve ever put in it and I still hadn’t run out? I’m “E” and put in 25-26 gallons usually. Maybe I take a 5 gallon can with me on the next trip and try to get from Bountiful to Green River? Use the space under the "E" a bit?

DAA

• new Kenwood tunes---Much better bluetooth than the previous Jensen unit and a USB port that I can just dump all my MP3 files to and not have to play tunes off my phone. I need to spend some time with the USB interface to see if I can make playlists easily or if it's easier to just swap from USB to USB for the various flavors of music I enjoy.

Let me know if you figure out playlists on the USB. I'm just dumping all the songs from each playlist into their own folder, which works, but it's not very efficient use of disk space.

- DAA

haulinshine

I guess it is a 30 gallon tank? That’s the most I’ve ever put in it and I still hadn’t run out? I’m “E” and put in 25-26 gallons usually. Maybe I take a 5 gallon can with me on the next trip and try to get from Bountiful to Green River? Use the space under the "E" a bit?
Ford switched to 30gal in the short beds and 36 in the long beds around the 6.ohno. they also changed the filler neck to accommodate 20gal a minute fueling at the same time.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
View attachment 135597

I have a lot of space under the E and I expect yours is the same. I haven't found the limit yet but the most I've been able to put in my 45 gallon tank at once was 41 gallons, and that was after driving about 40 miles under the E and with the "miles to go" calculator on zero for about 30 of those.

haulinshine

I have a lot of space under the E and I expect yours is the same. I haven't found the limit yet but the most I've been able to put in my 45 gallon tank at once was 41 gallons, and that was after driving about 40 miles under the E and with the "miles to go" calculator on zero for about 30 of those.
Same 0 miles to E and I put in 25 about every time I've done it

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
You guys are living dangerously. I get anxiety if I get below 1/4 tank. I learned this behavior after replacing $30 fuel pump relays in mid 90's chevy trucks once I starved the pump for 1/10 of a second.
I've found most modern fuel gauges to be pretty pessimistic. When the gauge reads 1/4 on a 20 gallon tank, you can only fit 11 or 12 gallons.