New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

pkrfctr

Well, Sweaty Betty has another fan now. My wife is pretty sold after a run to St George with two rigs. 6.8 mpg :rolleyes: but it’s paid for and 30% more fuel cost than a diesel (and not dealing with DEF and such) is mucho cheaper than a payment. She’s got 104k on her now. I was hoping the 3/4” shorter tires (on 20” wheels) would help a bit? Didn’t seem to notice. There are some beast hills coming down here. Two of them had Betty grunting to go over the top at 55 mph as we crested. Betty is a bit of a screamer as she climbs hills. View attachment 132500
Sweaty Betty has a drinking problem.
View attachment 132501

Started our trip with half a tank. Grabbed fuel in Nephi. We needed a bladder stop in Beaver so I filled there as well. We’ll see how we do on the way back? (A turbo/intercooler would make this truck fantastic.... not going to do it but it would make it awesome)
I always get better mpg coming home then going to St George,which is weird because it's a gain in elevation. I think going south the grades are just longer, either that or I have a heavier foot going down vs coming home.....

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
1605808400279.png
Someone was asking me about my Suburban and wanting me to compare it to my V10. I told them they were about the same from my perspective. Suburban knocked down a little better commuting mpg for sure. He pulled this graph up. Also pulled up the graph for the new 7.3L Ford gasser.
1605808495247.png

So I'm down about 25 ft lbs on torque from the new gasser and 5 gears. What could the gears do :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
From what I have seen those extra 5 gears make climbing hills much easier, if you know how to pick the right gear that is.

5 extra gears spaced correctly would make a HUGE difference. My truck doesn't suck (well, other than fuel) towing. Towing an at capacity load with a pickup is no joke at all. A gasser towing that load and only dropping to 56-57 mph from SLC to St George a couple times and once dropping to 57-58 on the way back is actually pretty impressive to me. I think the 5 extra gears would possibly be able to maintain higher speeds and possibly better mpg towing? My point with the V10-7.3L gas graphs above was to point out the 3V V10 is not THAT different than the 7.3L gas. Surprisingly similar in torque curve with the 7.3L having a solid edge due to the flatness of the torque curve. I would HOPE that the F*rd enginerds have the shift patterns mapped pretty well with the 10 speed/7.3L? I'd love to tow with a 7.3L gasser after checking out the below ratios.... It'd be interesting for sure. My V10 could REALLY use a gear or two between 2nd/3rd. The 10 speed gives it that but I'm not sure if it'd be enough? It really wouldn't hurt for sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to throw down an extra $30k to find out?

I'd also like to compare mpg towing same/similar load to a 6.7L diesel. I think the gasser would still win the performance per dollar comparison but the 6.7L diesel would do it pretty effortlessly with it's 250+ ft lb advantage. I just am curious about actual mpg of the 6.7L.

5r110w RatiosFORD TORQSHIFT 10 RATIOS
3.1:1 1st gear4.615 : 1
1​
2.2:1 2nd gear2.919 : 1
2​
1.5:1 3rd gear2.132 : 1
3​
1.00:1 4th gear1.773 : 1
4​
.7:1 5th gear1.519 : 1
5​
2.9:1 reverse1.277 : 1
6​
1.00 : 1
7​
0.85 : 1
8​
0.687 : 1
9​
0.632 : 1
10​
4.695 : 1R

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
5 extra gears spaced correctly would make a HUGE difference. My truck doesn't suck (well, other than fuel) towing. Towing an at capacity load with a pickup is no joke at all. A gasser towing that load and only dropping to 56-57 mph from SLC to St George a couple times and once dropping to 57-58 on the way back is actually pretty impressive to me. I think the 5 extra gears would possibly be able to maintain higher speeds and possibly better mpg towing? My point with the V10-7.3L gas graphs above was to point out the 3V V10 is not THAT different than the 7.3L gas. Surprisingly similar in torque curve with the 7.3L having a solid edge due to the flatness of the torque curve. I would HOPE that the F*rd enginerds have the shift patterns mapped pretty well with the 10 speed/7.3L? I'd love to tow with a 7.3L gasser after checking out the below ratios.... It'd be interesting for sure. My V10 could REALLY use a gear or two between 2nd/3rd. The 10 speed gives it that but I'm not sure if it'd be enough? It really wouldn't hurt for sure. I'm not sure I'm willing to throw down an extra $30k to find out?

I'd also like to compare mpg towing same/similar load to a 6.7L diesel. I think the gasser would still win the performance per dollar comparison but the 6.7L diesel would do it pretty effortlessly with it's 250+ ft lb advantage. I just am curious about actual mpg of the 6.7L.

1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​

Looking at those ratios I would have taken a few more close ratios in the middle rather than 3 overdrive gears especially the difference between 9-10 seems like a worthless gear

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
The 10 speed transmission in the Raptor we just bought is amazing. It always seems to be in the right gear and shifts so smooth you can hardly tell it has shifted. I drove it to St. George on Tuesday and can't believe how much smoother it rides than the 2014 Raptor I used to have.

haulinshine

1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
10​
these guys have done a lot of testing with the new 7.3 and the 6.7 with both the 10r140 and the 6r140. looking at everything the gears are spaced just about right.

mbryson

Supporting Member
these guys have done a lot of testing with the new 7.3 and the 6.7 with both the 10r140 and the 6r140. looking at everything the gears are spaced just about right.

Those are kind of fun videos. Some of their video views are off the charts. I'd assume they are getting a few $ from YouTube/Google for their videos?

haulinshine

Those are kind of fun videos. Some of their video views are off the charts. I'd assume they are getting a few $ from YouTube/Google for their videos?
I'm sure they make good money doing it as they have TFL trucks, TFL offroad, and TFL. they also have enough pull to have the big 3 send them preproduction models every now and then to test

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We've towed all over with 3 rigs on a 40' goose. Pretty sure Ryan's work F350 deezil is in the single digits regularly but his personal Megacab deezil still pulls 10-12. They both are not really bothered by the load. It's wild.
I will say the F*ord has like a 3 gallon fuel tank in it. Luckily I like stopping occasionally, especially on the 12 hour drives but damn dude it takes the choice out of the matter. We have to stop.

mbryson

Supporting Member
We've towed all over with 3 rigs on a 40' goose. Pretty sure Ryan's work F350 deezil is in the single digits regularly but his personal Megacab deezil still pulls 10-12. They both are not really bothered by the load. It's wild.
I will say the F*ord has like a 3 gallon fuel tank in it. Luckily I like stopping occasionally, especially on the 12 hour drives but damn dude it takes the choice out of the matter. We have to stop.

If the F350 is a shortbed '16 or older, it's got a stupid 26 gallon tank

mbryson

Supporting Member
I swear it's even smaller, like 21 or something. All I know is it's comical.

At my mpg (7 mpg or slightly less), I have about 170-180 mile range with that tank. I carry a 5 gallon in the truck just in case on trips like that. Hopefully that would get me to a nearby gas station.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
At my mpg (7 mpg or slightly less), I have about 170-180 mile range with that tank. I carry a 5 gallon in the truck just in case on trips like that. Hopefully that would get me to a nearby gas station.

that's too smart though. we just plan on driving one of the 2 or 3 rigs on the back to the nearest gas station :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
that's too smart though. we just plan on driving one of the 2 or 3 rigs on the back to the nearest gas station :rofl:
I put a 50 gallon transfer tank in my truck a few years ago and it's been awesome. Open the valve when I'm ready to haul my 5th wheel and I can go well over 500 miles without risk of running out. Without towing I can go 1,000-1,200 if I stay under 70 mph. This won't work for gas engines, but I reccommend it to anyone towing often with a diesel.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I put a 50 gallon transfer tank in my truck a few years ago and it's been awesome. Open the valve when I'm ready to haul my 5th wheel and I can go well over 500 miles without risk of running out. Without towing I can go 1,000-1,200 if I stay under 70 mph. This won't work for gas engines, but I reccommend it to anyone towing often with a diesel.

I've been casually looking for a gas version of a transfer tank. An Excursion tank where my spare tire is located seems like the best solution so far?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I had a 27 gallon custom built tank with an electric ball valve I controlled with a switch in the cab in the dually I just sold. It was always nice to be able to get fuel where I wanted and not where I needed.

mbryson

Supporting Member
So we just had a trip to Moab and back with my “standard” load. My Jeep and my son’s TJ. It didn’t go without incident.E8AB0EB9-55B0-417F-8A01-D7E272ECE416.jpeg
2B7824D2-ABC2-4295-83EA-497DE0CE543A.jpeg
Kind of difficult to see with my 10 pm gas station photos but we ended up using a ratchet strap to keep my tail pipe and muffler friendly. Tailpipe dragging on the ground as you come into Helper really gets people’s attention with the sparks that are associated with such a failure.

Time for a new muffler for sure. I wanted to spend $ on a cooler radio but exhaust is kind of an important element to a vehicle.

Starting with a full fuel tank. I put the following 91 octane gallons in. This is the first trip I’ve run 91.
22.7 gallons at the Price Wal Mart
18.3 gallons at the Moab Maverick
Display read 6.4 mpg 😳
Quick math says that’s actually an optimistic number (assuming 240 miles)..... 5.8 mpg. I’m hoping there’s about 20 more miles on the route than that but really doesn’t help much at all.

Trip back we had to stop in Green River and I grabbed 8.8 gallons. Why we had to stop in Wellington again I’ll never know but I missed them turning off and I stopped at the Sinclair at Carbon Ave putting 9.9 gallons in. I put 20 gallons in yesterday after a trip to work and back. Even with the unloaded 30 miles that only puts me at 6.9 mpg.

It seems my stock tires/wheels aren’t really helping much in the mpg department? Truck rarely gets below 60 mph with that load though so the smaller tires do actually affect performance. Shocker, right?

Two observations about the trip and maybe the poor fuel mpg? I have no idea what losing the exhaust does to mpg performance. My guess is nothing? My truck has rolled over 100k and I haven’t changed the plugs yet. I need to do that for sure and that could change all kinds of things or not.

Judgement for Sweaty Betty for the trip is capable but THIRSTY. I have a couple more trips to take in the next 6 weeks. Hopefully with new plugs and exhaust. We’ll see what a difference that makes? Kind of bummed about the mpg but that load is no joke and the truck is capable.

7392288F-4C8F-40D6-A629-8218451D527C.jpeg

Oh, we had to wait at Crescent Junction for 10-15 min. I’m a bit of a jerky junky (not quite to salsa level but...) and the jerky there is far from worth the $. $18 jerky bag should be fantastic. None of the three of us will eat anything past our initial piece. Not recommended for the jerky at the odd alien store

upcoming:

Spark plugs
Exhaust
Radio
Shocks (?)

Last edited: