New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Well, hand calculated mileage twice now. First full tank....... 8.888888 mpg :(:(

Did a freeway only test today and got 11.2 over 54 miles. That’s more what I thought I’d get? Just threw away the K&N filter and put a Wix in there. Hopefully that gets me another .5 mpg?

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Is that accounting for the larger than stock tires?
I'd like to see more of this truck and your plans for it, if you get time.
Other than fuel, are you pretty pleased with your purchase?

mbryson

Supporting Member
Is that accounting for the larger than stock tires?
I'd like to see more of this truck and your plans for it, if you get time.
Other than fuel, are you pretty pleased with your purchase?

That’s calculated by me filling a tank, setting the odometer and dividing miles traveled by fuel input. So no, I’d imagine that’s off a little? Whatever the actual diameter of the stock 275/70 18 tire is vs the current diameter of a Toyo AT II.

With the below chart, I should add about 10% to my mileage figures for a height differentiation?

1547825394237.png

You’re more than welcome to come to the house and geek all you’d like at the truck. Take it for a spin and such. I think I am pretty happy with it? Towing will be the bigger question.

It’s basically my ‘99 7.3L and ‘99 6.8L truck wrapped into one with a LOT less miles than those dogs had. I was pretty happy with both of those trucks despite the short bed. I’ve always wanted a long bed because I’m more used to them but also because I wanted a slide in camper. We had that with the ‘98 Dodge and the camper's just not something my wife can handle riding in. I think this may end up towing two Jeeps within a year or two and by then I’ll know where I’m at with it and keep it long term (ha!) or snag a 6.7L 2013-2016 Super Duty and try to keep that as a forever truck. There are benefits and drawbacks to both the V10 and the 6.7. I just ran across a V10 before I could snag a 100-140k diesel I wanted to pay for.

I “moved in” to the truck yesterday night. Finding places for things was a little more difficult in this truck than in my earlier trucks just because of the “flat floor” pop out thing. I’ve rarely used that in other trucks. I might pull it out from under the rear seat and get some more useful to me storage back?

I’ll try how I have it configured and go from there. Just need easy acccess to tow strap, jumper cables and such. I found places for those but I’m not in love with where they are. I think it’ll work as is?

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Marc, FWIW in my V-10 I got a consistent 10 mpg city. The best I ever got was 14 mpg, empty truck, and mostly 60ish mph. 70 mph and above netted me 11 mpg. Same truck except for the 4.30 vs 4.10 gear ratio.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member

With the below chart, I should add about 10% to my mileage figures for a height differentiation?

View attachment 117882

No, according to that chart, you should adjust your miles traveled (per odometer) by +5.6%. That assumes that your tires are indeed the height/circumference listed, and that your odometer/speedometer is accurate (it isn't - they never are). But, I think that 5.6% number is as good as you'll get for a correction factor.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I “moved in” to the truck yesterday night. Finding places for things was a little more difficult in this truck than in my earlier trucks just because of the “flat floor” pop out thing. I’ve rarely used that in other trucks. I might pull it out from under the rear seat and get some more useful to me storage back?

I’ll try how I have it configured and go from there. Just need easy acccess to tow strap, jumper cables and such. I found places for those but I’m not in love with where they are. I think it’ll work as is?
I removed that platform under the rear seat in my truck and have never thought about putting it back in. It's such a waste of space.

boogie_4wheel

My work truck is an '05 250 4wd reg cab with 4.30 ratio. Fiberglass 1' taller than cab shell loaded with I'm guessing 2k lbs extra crap. I can barely break 12mpg highway (slc to Coalville 3 days in a row), and seen mid 9's running around the valley. That is stock sized 245 tires on the 17" wheels.

Great truck really. Good power, pulls parlys in 4th. My personal is an '05 Cummins... if I needed to replace it, I'd honestly consider the V10 for a personal truck. Less power overall but would fill my needs.

Congrats on the purchase.

rholbrook

In 99 I bought a loaded up V10 and pulled jet skis to Lake Powell. I got like 8 mpg. I came home and called the dealer and ordered a diesel. I sold the V10 to my BIL and he put like 250K miles on it with no issues except bad gas mileage. He sold it to his BIL for his landscaping business and it is now over 300K miles and still no major issues. Still has the original tranny in it too.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Ha. I’m a dummy. I don’t know why I was confused.
My last truck had those, and the kids used them for foot rests because they can’t reach the real floor. It’s one of the things we miss the most in the new truck.

mbryson

Supporting Member
In 99 I bought a loaded up V10 and pulled jet skis to Lake Powell. I got like 8 mpg. I came home and called the dealer and ordered a diesel. I sold the V10 to my BIL and he put like 250K miles on it with no issues except bad gas mileage. He sold it to his BIL for his landscaping business and it is now over 300K miles and still no major issues. Still has the original tranny in it too.

I think the trade off is worth it for the poor fuel mileage? If it's as reliable as everyone says and will do the job, the gas mileage is much better than the 6.0L or 6.4L (they don't get to good of mpg with their regen features and such from what I hear) repairs? Time will tell of course.

ID Bronco

You can buy a lot of fuel for the difference in Diesel maintenance, original cost and such. This coming from a guy who has a diesel that never gets worked hard. I wouldn't expect anything over 11 from any big gas engine. I wouldn't second guess it, just enjoy it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It's really about what you use it for. Daily driving will suck fuel in both diesel and gas, dollar per mile anyway. I've never gotten better than 11 mpg towing anything significant with either fueled motor. The diesel is only worthy when you have a LOT of weight or wind drag to pull.