New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I was just going to say how much you will like that for hauling camping gear and what-not.

Those trailer tires are carrying a LOT of weight, I would be sure to keep them in good shape.. but I bet you already knew that ;)

I did a little tow test with both rigs on after buying a new, longer chain for the TJ. Pulled along Redwood Rd to 215 then north to 500 south. There was an accident and a lot of heavy traffic at about Centerville exit that was backing up to 500-800 south in Bountiful. Since I couldn’t get over, I figured I’d get it out on the flat space between Centerville/Farmington and see what mileage I get on the display with the load and running right at 65 mph. I had 6.8 mpg after climbing the hill on 215 merge and dealing with traffic that cleared up just past the on ramp from 500 W. Reset and got 9.1 until Lagoon. Trying to figure out where to turn around I ended up on the 89 up towards Fruit Heights. After turning around at a gas station, I ended up with 7.1 mpg once I got back to my house. I was hoping for better but my 8.1 Sub got 8.1 mpg towing to Moab and like 7.8 coming back. With this hauling two rigs, 7.1 is not to bad?

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I think sometimes we get a little too caught up in numbers.

I would worry more about how the truck handles the weight vs. the mileage.

If you can get your equipment where you want to go safely then honestly who cares about another $25-$30* in fuel costs.

*based on a 240 mile run to Moab. 20 gals at 12 MPG or 30 gals at 8mpg. :D

It is harder to find time to go with family/friends then the extra $ it costs to go, sad to say...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep

This was just past Vegas earlier this month. Uphill, in the wind, towing.
4.3 is definitely a new low record.

When I drove home from mesquite empty a while back I slowed from 85 to 75 the whole way, and went from 10 to about 15mpg.
So when towing to Nevada I dropped from 75 to 65 with the trailer on. I still only got about 7mpg average. I realized the truck was still in higher rmp’s, just a gear lower. So for the way home, I went all the way up to 80-85 and still got about 7... but made it home much faster.

mbryson

Supporting Member
I’m way impressed with the truck/chassis/hitch setup. Truck works REALLY well. I measured at the fender lip as I moved the load around on the trailer. Even at the heaviest I could load it, it only hit the back of the truck about 1.5-2".

@Jinx -I'd agree on the cost of fuel vs the cost of not getting out. Well worth it to get out to me. With the shortbed and the stupid 25ish gallon tank, less than 7 mpg could require some planning on some routes? Likely not to Moab but I'd still only like to stop once on the way down there. We'll see how that goes? With my 2V V10 and a single Jeep on the trailer, I had to stop in Green River. Hoping that's the same but I think I might be on vapors there?

@jeeper - Speed was insanely important with my less fancy version of "instant mpg". 65-67 seemed about ideal for what I was towing and mpg. I think the truck can handle 70-72 but the fuel mileage seems to drop off immensely after 65. We'll have to see how things go on the I70 stretch to Moab. I can't imagine getting good mileage there or Thistle in Spanish Fork or that long pull to Soldier Summit from the rest areas. I think I'll be at 55-60 mph there without beating the crap out of the engine?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
-I'd agree on the cost of fuel vs the cost of not getting out. Well worth it to get out to me. With the shortbed and the stupid 25ish gallon tank, less than 7 mpg could require some planning on some routes? Likely not to Moab but I'd still only like to stop once on the way down there. We'll see how that goes? With my 2V V10 and a single Jeep on the trailer, I had to stop in Green River. Hoping that's the same but I think I might be on vapors there?

Maybe after a few trips if you are digging the truck and want to keep it around, think about investing in an auxiliary tank? Could help with planning, and even after factoring in the cost of that you're probably still WAY ahead of the cost of a diesel truck.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Don't feel too bad, with this load I was doing 6.8mpg. I'll bet you have a slightly more relaxing drive vs me enjoying the charm of the '94 IDI. Without the aux tank I'd be stopping a bunch.
I am loving the updates on your truck.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey Marc if it makes you feel any better, my last HEAVY load to Az netted me 5.8MPG in my whimpy little small block. The final load next weekend will be equally heavy, but I’m hoping I won’t be in 4WD for 200 miles of it.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Think of it this way, if you average 7 mpg with that load you're doing just fine. My 2017 cummins wouldn't get any better than 8.5 mpg pulling it, and your fuel AND payment are significantly less.

Just doing some mapping for a Moab trip. With 25 gallons @ 7.5 mpg I’ll NOT make Green River from Woods Cross. (Short about a gallon). However, if I just stop at Wellington on the way there and the way back, I should be ok? I think for a first trip, I’ll fill a 5 gallon (the 5 gallons is at least 25-30 miles in a worst case scenario on a road with a fair amount of gas stations on it) can up just in case I use A LOT going up Spanish Fork canyon (although there is that gas station at Soldier Summit).

Not necessary for the extra fuel can but some insurance in case I pull the canyon at 2-3 mpg (which I think will happen a bit—Thistle will suck out at least a gallon and the pull from the rest area to the summit will drag at least 2-3 gallons?). I can get to Wellington (133 miles)on 25 gallons if I average 5.36 mpg. 4.76 would get me to Helper (119 miles).

On the way back, the pull out of Helper up to the Scofield turn off will suck down some gas but I should be ok after that? Oh, the math ;)

My payment on this truck is great. Insurance is about $75 per month. I don’t expect a lot of repairs. It cost me my G8 :( but is a good fit (and I’ll buy a car with a $2 key and stupid amounts of torque at some point anyway——GS, fake GTO or SS Chevelle or something fun like that)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12904

Definitely pack fuel. I remember once with my v10 that would normally do 6-8 mpg towing my 5th week didn’t make it from Grantsville to Wendover on a full tank. It towed fine but mpg was anywhere from bad to gallons per mile it felt like towing.

RockChucker

We always stop in Wellington on our way to Moab. Nice way to break up the drive. And fuel is usually cheaper there than Moab or Green River.

Think of it this way, if you average 7 mpg with that load you're doing just fine. My 2017 cummins wouldn't get any better than 8.5 mpg pulling it, and your fuel AND payment are significantly less.
Lies. Everyone knows that a Cummins gets 102 mpg fully loaded, pulling 25k lbs with a headwind. :p

mbryson

Supporting Member
Tags and plate on the trailer and renewal on the TJ now. What have I got? 10 days before Jeep Safari to prep vehicles? We'll see how it goes :D

I did run a full tank through the truck from Woods Cross to Ephriam yesterday. 12.5 mpg with the cruise set at 76 mph. Not bad at all. I did see an unfortunate event in the canyon between Fountain Green and Nephi. Looked like a motorcycle rider passed away after getting hit by a pickup (or the motorcycle hit the pickup? -- I didn't ask). That was still on the Juab county side so Nephi first responders, UHP and Nephi Police (I think?) were on the scene and handling the situation as well as they could.

You two wheeler guys drive safe! That didn't look pleasant at all for anyone at the scene

Bart

Its that time of year for the bikes to start coming back out. Drivers are not used to them, and some riders are rusty. Sad deal.

Bart

Hey Marc, if you ever have your one of your front tires off, and if you think about it, would you mind measuring from the middle of the upper ball joint to the wheel mounting surface?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't care what motor we are talking about, when it comes to towing, they are all going to average out to not being much different. With the compounds on my 6.7L Cummins, I can tow 18K+ toy hauler effortlessly at any speed but my mileage is always going to be between 9-10 mpg. This mileage is no different than when I only had 1 turbo, just much cooler EGT's under load while putting the power down. When it comes to tow rigs, cost of maintenance is a big factor and the gassers will win over diesel any day.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Having all kinds of fun with the trailer connections yesterday. Truck display shows “trailer fault”. Lights all work (Green, yellow and brown on trailer and connector) but brakes are either 100% locked up or I have ZERO brakes. Fairly confident it’s the truck integrated brake controller?

I SHOULD get some kind of variable voltage from the red wire (or black?). White seems to be trailer ground. I don’t get jack in variable voltage (depending on “gain” set on controller).

Anyone had issues with the Ford integrated brake controller?

Bart

Only one time, and it turned out to be the wiring on the trailer. Or it could be that someone rewired that truck to match a trailer they had.