New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Other question while we are talking decks. Bluetooth seems to not have the most impressive sound quality (that's the same in the wife's 2015 Navigator with "cool" sound or in my cheap deck in the pickup). It's fine for a phone call but to crank up the Zep (Ten Years Gone or Rock and Roll is always a good one to turn up a little), Bluetooth seems to leave a little to be desired in sound transfer quality. Am I alone in Bluetooth sound quality leaves a little to be desired and the issue is likely my phone or is that just a Bluetooth "thing"?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So the F350 got a “name” this week. Good friend riding 1000+ towing miles with this load called her “Sweaty Betty”. 237C30DD-31BB-41B0-BE35-2EF6BF2FCFCA.jpeg

She hauled the load well but at a cost. (Likely 500+ lbs overweight with passengers and such). Out of Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is a true tow test. She was grunting down to first gear in one spot and at 30-32 mph. That only lasted about 300-400 yards and we were back in 2nd and up to about 38-40. 1st gear at 5k rpm was a little concerning but the engine seems to NOT care about RPM?

I towed with a breathed on 7.3 Excursion. He was EGT limited a little but I hung with him pretty well most of the trip.

Probably time to do some 100k Maint on “Sweaty Betty”? I’m pretty impressed with this truck. Would like a little better fuel mpg but for what it is and what it cost, it’s been pretty good.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Pulled similar doubles with my Cummins and loaded was 21.5-22.5k. I am curious what just truck and trailer weigh now. Probably similar.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Out of Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is a true tow test.

You ain’t just whistlin’ Dixie. That stretch is the toughest towing I have ever done, period. To anyone considering towing to the Rubicon, be advised: this climb will seriously tax your tow rig. Do not take this stretch lightly.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Pulled similar doubles with my Cummins and loaded was 21.5-22.5k. I am curious what just truck and trailer weigh now. Probably similar.

I had 9770 lbs of Jeeps on the trailer. I’m not adding that up as it will scare me. Truck/trailer handled awesome. I may want to look towards super heavy duty tires if I keep up hauling two heavy rigs? I want to go weigh Eric’s TJ. I think it’s closer to 4K and that will likely turn out to be the “normal” load? More within my tire/axle weight range

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
Well, Sweaty Betty has another fan now. My wife is pretty sold after a run to St George with two rigs. 6.8 mpg :rolleyes: but it’s paid for and 30% more fuel cost than a diesel (and not dealing with DEF and such) is mucho cheaper than a payment. She’s got 104k on her now. I was hoping the 3/4” shorter tires (on 20” wheels) would help a bit? Didn’t seem to notice. There are some beast hills coming down here. Two of them had Betty grunting to go over the top at 55 mph as we crested. Betty is a bit of a screamer as she climbs hills. 8E3403B7-9609-44CE-9CB2-4B878BAB850C.jpeg
Sweaty Betty has a drinking problem.
06ABA489-880C-4E95-96D8-ED3495C88CA3.jpeg

Started our trip with half a tank. Grabbed fuel in Nephi. We needed a bladder stop in Beaver so I filled there as well. We’ll see how we do on the way back? (A turbo/intercooler would make this truck fantastic.... not going to do it but it would make it awesome)

Last edited:

Bart

Sounds like she's doing the job. Don't get discouraged on the climb from the Hurricane on ramp up to Kanarraville. I thought there was something wrong with my truck pulling doubles back from Trail Hero. It got back to normal after that.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sounds like she's doing the job. Don't get discouraged on the climb from the Hurricane on ramp up to Kanarraville. I thought there was something wrong with my truck pulling doubles back from Trail Hero. It got back to normal after that.
That's a long hard pull, and the area south of Kanarraville is a deceptive grade. It seems nearly flat, but it's significant.

mbryson

Supporting Member

I was able to maintain over 55 mph for that whole climb surprisingly. Sweaty Betty was earning her name and keep. Display showed about 4 mpg until we got north of Cedar City a ways.

That's a long hard pull, and the area south of Kanarraville is a deceptive grade. It seems nearly flat, but it's significant.

I did end up trying premium fuel for the climb and ultimately for the whole trip home. I hit 7.0 mpg just as we turned up our street in Bountiful. I’m curious if the premium fuel makes much difference? It could have but I’d need to run that trip a few times to really know.

B765FDDE-9F58-465A-82F5-09B3EE1B1D43.jpeg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The higher octane should allow better performance when working the truck hard because the computer doesn't have to make as many adjustments to keep from knocking and pinging.

Non ethanol would be a little better as there are more BTU's in a non ethanol fuel, but then you give up octane. It may not be worth experimenting with because non ethanol can be hard to come by on a trip.

zgfiredude

Old Fart in Training...
I'm lucky to have a station 1 mile from home that has all non-ethanol fuels, including premium, year 'round. I am not an ethanol fan.....especially in motorcycles and small engines, but it makes a measurable difference in mileage and performance in the vehicles as well. YMMV

Tonkaman

The higher octane should allow better performance when working the truck hard because the computer doesn't have to make as many adjustments to keep from knocking and pinging.

Non ethanol would be a little better as there are more BTU's in a non ethanol fuel, but then you give up octane. It may not be worth experimenting with because non ethanol can be hard to come by on a trip.
My Tacoma will go up 3 MPG using 88 ethanol free over 91 with ethanol!