New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
So, the G8 is gone :oops::oops: as we are contemplating some changes and trying to cull the herd a bit. Ran across this thing today and bought it by trading in the G8 and throwing a little cash down.
A415E039-8AE1-4330-B4EF-4847350348F5.jpeg

This likely a common sight
B12524D1-D8E6-4BBA-BCF2-F3C37730484F.jpeg4AF2646D-EA9F-4C40-A5A0-FF2E60971178.jpeg

V10 and 4.10 gears with 35” tires. We’ll see how it does. 80k miles and it needs a good detailing

Last edited:

mbryson

Supporting Member
I do need to come up with some different cab marker lights. I’m not cool enough to run these ones. Hopefully these are just put in place of the stock units

SSR

Nice looking truck! My last 3 trucks have been diesel, curious what the towing mpg is in a big gasser on 35"s like that.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I was looking hard for one of those before I bought the 6.2. They were very hard to find. My father in law bought one new in '02 and put 350k hard miles on it before he bought a new diesel. It is now one of his work trucks used by his employees.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nice looking truck! My last 3 trucks have been diesel, curious what the towing mpg is in a big gasser on 35"s like that.

My '99 V10 was about 8-9 mpg towing. I doubt this will do any better than that? No injectors, injector pumps, turbos, troublesome EGR stuff and such on a gasser like this though.

What year is that?

Let's drag race.
My 6.2 CCLB against that.

2010 with 5R110 (or whatever it is). I'm always up for a "test"

I was looking hard for one of those before I bought the 6.2. They were very hard to find. My father in law bought one new in '02 and put 350k hard miles on it before he bought a new diesel. It is now one of his work trucks used by his employees.

I liked my earlier V10. They like fuel and drive kind of funny. You have to rev them to pull but they do the job. I was looking for a short term truck (18-24 months) but this just seemed like a possible long term truck? 80k miles and just a couple thousand more than the older stuff I was looking at. Just seemed to make sense to give this a shot. 2008-2010 V10 are pretty hard to come across. I came across a few gas V8 but mostly 6.4L diesel and I'm not into that. Can't afford to repair those things.

mbryson

Supporting Member
How was your experience at Performance Ford?

Significantly better than my son’s experience in September. I left an honest google review. They asked me to call about it. I was pretty frank (everyone is shocked, I know) about how I felt about them doing a shitty deal to my son.

They want to help him through another deal but he’s not real willing to “deal” with the dealer. Kind of don’t blame him but at some point, you’ll have to deal with a dealer?

They explained some issues with a sales manager and asked if they could have another shot. I told them I’m able to take care of myself and if they had something I was interested in, I might give them a shot. This popped up and I did. I got a decent deal.

I’m a little on the direct side when at a car dealer. I’m not sure how that comes across and I really don’t care as long as I’m honest and try to tactful.

They do have two new service writers that I have known for at least 22 years. Good dudes and I wouldn’t imagine either of those guys being shady at all. They are service writers so is still be cautious but they are good guys. Scott Simpson and Blaine Curtis. I had no idea they worked there until this morning.

With the changes I’ve seen, I’d give Performance a chance. I wouldn’t go in there blindly (not that anyone here would)

1547066513262.png

4x4_Welder

Nice. I like the sound of the V10 with a nice open exhaust. One thing to be aware of, though, is those engines have an issue with the timing chain tensioners, especially the right side one. It's not a big deal until you get into 200k+ or tons of idle/PTO time, but it's a bit of a cascading failure. The end of the oiling system is the right side cam, with the tensioner off that gallery, but as the tensioner wears and starts dumping oil it loses pressure to the cam. Just something to be aware of it it starts rattling on startups or at idle.
Those also don't get that terrible of mileage. I've towed with a V10 Excursion a few times, as well as ran one around as a DD, and it wasn't bad. 12-13mpg towing an F250 diesel on an insanely heavy tri axle trailer at 65, and close to the same running in town empty. For comparison, my wife's V8 Explorer gets 13-14 in town.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Nice. I like the sound of the V10 with a nice open exhaust. One thing to be aware of, though, is those engines have an issue with the timing chain tensioners, especially the right side one. It's not a big deal until you get into 200k+ or tons of idle/PTO time, but it's a bit of a cascading failure. The end of the oiling system is the right side cam, with the tensioner off that gallery, but as the tensioner wears and starts dumping oil it loses pressure to the cam. Just something to be aware of it it starts rattling on startups or at idle.
Those also don't get that terrible of mileage. I've towed with a V10 Excursion a few times, as well as ran one around as a DD, and it wasn't bad. 12-13mpg towing an F250 diesel on an insanely heavy tri axle trailer at 65, and close to the same running in town empty. For comparison, my wife's V8 Explorer gets 13-14 in town.

I've had (I think) 4 7.3L trucks and one V10. This is my 2nd V10. I have about 200k miles combined on the various 7.3L trucks and maybe 20k on the V10. This should be a good truck for what I need it to be? I'll certainly pay at the pump though. Good info on the cam tensioners but like you mention, I think that'll be quite a ways out?

I usually got about 10-12 mpg towing with any of my 7.3L trucks and about 11-13 mpg towing with either of my Cummins trucks (despite them both supposedly getting 20 mpg towing at 90 mph claims on the interwebs). My V10 truck before got about 8-10 towing and my 8.1 Suburban got 8.5-8.9 mpg towing. Most of that all towing my same Jeep I have now. Our EcoBoost Navigator gets about 10-12 towing as well. I think I'm just destined to get 10-12 towing :D despite what I'm "supposed" to get

I'm using this pup as a daily for the next year at least so I'm somewhat concerned about unloaded/unladen mileage as well. We'll have to see how that goes :D
Can we have a threesome??

Those are always fun

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'd put some skinny tires on that truck and lower it, if I wanted the best mileage it could get empty. If it's just a leveling kit, those come out super easy. It's just a spacer under the coil springs.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I usually got about 10-12 mpg towing with any of my 7.3L trucks and about 11-13 mpg towing with either of my Cummins trucks (despite them both supposedly getting 20 mpg towing at 90 mph claims on the interwebs). My V10 truck before got about 8-10 towing and my 8.1 Suburban got 8.5-8.9 mpg towing. Most of that all towing my same Jeep I have now. Our EcoBoost Navigator gets about 10-12 towing as well. I think I'm just destined to get 10-12 towing :D despite what I'm "supposed" to get

There are few things that restore my faith in humanity more than a person who is honest about their gas mileage. If you are honest about that, I don't think there is anything you ever lie about. It'a a fantastic character feature :)

Good looking truck. Good thing lots of gas stations have attached car washes, it will need both frequently.