New Mbryson tow pig...”Sweaty Betty” - 2010 F350 V10

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I did 590 miles from salt lake to washoe valley, Nv yesterday. Cruise control set to about 86mph. Empty truck, no trailer. Just the wife and me, with an ARB fridge full of Mountain Dew. I pulled in with a 12.1 average fuel economy. I imagine if I’d slow down that would go way up.
I’m heading to grab a 10k lb trailer to head back with now. Going to be traveling with a cummins towing another trailer, and my wife will be in a Porsche. We will all be matching pace and stops with each other. I’ll compare exact fuel consumed between the gasser, cummins, and Porsche. I’m pretty sure we are all going to be convinced that the Porsche is the superior vehicle though.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey Marc, just so you have an honest comparison. I just towed my 26’ parasail of a trailer 600 miles to the west coast. Going down empty, and a 3000 foot elevation drop, I got 8.5 MPG. Coming back, with a car in the trailer and a 3000 foot climb, I got 8.5 MPG.

The 400ish miles in Comiefornia, with their dumbass 55mph speed limit killed my mileage. I was getting high 7’s at 55 MPH, and having to shift between third and fourth. Oh, and gas there was $4.70 a gallon... Towing a full load anywhere else in the country at 70 has always put me in the 9+MPG range. Screw everything about California!

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I towed about 10k lbs in a cargo trailer, the cummins towed about 15k lbs of 5th wheel camper. We matched fuel consumption almost to the gallon... which mean he was doing a bit better with the additional weight and wind resistance. We cruised about 80mph on average, WOT up the mountain passes if less than 80 mph. We went through about 80 gallons, 560 miles, 7mpg. I didn't get gallons for the Porsche... but it only filled up once.. so call it 20 ish gallons. So clearly, a Porsche is the superior option.
However, at one point we were having a phone conversation while climbing a grade. I could hear the cummins motor through the phone, and was again grateful for the much quieter gas motor I had.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just an update on this beast, just traded it in.....

HA. I didn't trade it. I do need to buy a new stereo for it. It’s got a cheap double DIN in it currently. It’s being cheap and cutting out on/off. Suggestions on a decent Bluetooth unit for sub $300?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just an update on this beast, just traded it in.....

HA. I didn't trade it. I do need to buy a new stereo for it. It’s got a cheap double DIN in it currently. It’s being cheap and cutting out on/off. Suggestions on a decent Bluetooth unit for sub $300?
I have liked the Pioneer double din touch screen in my 80. I remember it being around 300-ish?

Jesser04

I have an appradio in my car and love it. No disc drive for some that’s a deal breaker it doesn’t bother me I stream everything. I’ve been a fan of pioneer decks forever now they’ve never done me wrong I’d highly recommend it.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have seen some (at least one) of those digital media receivers ("Mechless" units) that leave enough space in back of them, to fit a matching amplifier in the space that would be normally taken up by a CD/DVD player receiver. Kinda a cool option if you don't need to play CD's. (and I can't remember the last time I used a disc of any kind)

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Radio stays on but all sound drops until a reboot of the unit.
A grounded-out speaker wire can cause the sound to shut off while the unit appears normal. However, if the only way the sound comes back is restarting the head unit, a grounded speaker wire probably is not the issue. Carry on with your head unit shopping. I'll echo the Pioneer recommendations. I have/had several Pioneer units (single and double din sizes) and all have been good. IMO, they're easier to use (more intuitive for me) than any other brand I've messed with.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Other question while we are talking decks. Bluetooth seems to not have the most impressive sound quality (that's the same in the wife's 2015 Navigator with "cool" sound or in my cheap deck in the pickup). It's fine for a phone call but to crank up the Zep (Ten Years Gone or Rock and Roll is always a good one to turn up a little), Bluetooth seems to leave a little to be desired in sound transfer quality. Am I alone in Bluetooth sound quality leaves a little to be desired and the issue is likely my phone or is that just a Bluetooth "thing"?

I have seen some (at least one) of those digital media receivers ("Mechless" units) that leave enough space in back of them, to fit a matching amplifier in the space that would be normally taken up by a CD/DVD player receiver. Kinda a cool option if you don't need to play CD's. (and I can't remember the last time I used a disc of any kind)

I'm with you. I've had the truck a year, pretty sure I haven't put a disc in the player to date. Not even sure it works (the player).