New Tent Options?

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I want to pick up a larger tent this spring that will fit 2 large cots and gear for camping more than a weekend. I have 2 springbar outfitter 3 tents and they have been great so I was thinking about just picking up a 4 or 6 man springbar. I was also thinking about other options, I don’t want a wall tent but was thinking about a Nemo wagontop 6 as a possibility. Anyone had any experience with that or any other larger tent that I should look at?

LJTim

I gave up on Springbar. I had one for 12 years. It held up great, but I think they are too hot, and too dang heavy. I decided to try out 2 other tents. One is a Coleman instant tent, which I have enjoyed. Or you can get a nicer version called the Turbo Tent. they both use the same design of a fold-able external frame. But the Turbo Tent has beefier aluminum arms and joints. If you are careful to secure the arms, the Coleman will do just fine. I will say however, the Coleman doesn't hold up to boy scouts. I'd stick with the Springbar or Kodiak if you're using it for kids groups like that.

Crazy thing is, I paid like $400 for my springbar, and 10 years later sold it for $300. I was meticulous about taking care of it though.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I've got a 10x10 Kodiak that I think is exactly the right size for two cots and gear for an extended stay. Maybe a hair small? 10x12 wouldn't hurt if they make one. It is a beast though, it'll suck up some cargo space for sure. It was a little cheaper than the same size Springbar, I only break it out now when a) the whole family is coming and b) we're going to be in one place more than one night.

The next time I buy a large tent it'll likely be one of the Black Pine Turbotents. They pack up huge too, but they're quicker to set up and tear down, freestanding, and the ones I've seen looked plenty stout.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've got the 9x7 Kodiak and it fits 2 people on cots but the cots hit the tent at the top/bottom, if I were to do it again I'd do the 10x10 like Kevin or get slightly shorter cots. I see deals on Kodiak tents on KSL, there's a warehouse out by the airport that I picked up my 9x7 at, I bought a 10x14 from some guy in AF that was buddies with an owner or something and was basically selling tents that had damaged boxes, the tent was new but the box was messed up.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You can't go wrong with a Springbar.

Kodiak tents are cheaper and use a thicker floor material. They have a few more options for standard price. Supposedly, they also have better UV protection. I really like kodiak tents for the money. Springbar does have a WAY longer track record and better resale value.

I have a couple turbo tents and I love them. They don't make the model I have anymore. It has a full coverage rainfly with a very large vestibule. Most of them have a partial rainfly and an awning rather than vestibule. When I heard they were discontinuing them I went and bought a second one for when the first one wore out. The turbo tent absolutely will NOT last as long as a springbar or kodiak. Worth it for me for ease and speed of set up and weight. The poles are not as beefy as a springbar or kodiak. If I was buying for scouts I would do kodiak or springbar. For my family I went with turbo tent.

pkrfctr

I use them all. I have a kirkham wall tent 12x14 that only gets used if we will be in the same spot for multiple nights and need the stove. I also have a springbar 10x10 and a turbotent 10x10. Honestly since I got the turbo tent I have only used the springbar when I need two tents (whole family) and dont need the stove. one thing I like better about the springbar is less condensation. The turbotent gets wet inside the springbar doesnt. We fit two cots and gear in either tent and bunkbed cots, paknplay and the dog kennel in the other. If turbotent ever made a 10x12 or 12x12 I would buy it in a heartbeat as I think thats about the perfect size for big cots and lots of gear. I am also a scoutmaster, camp every month, and we use kodiak 10x14 (I think) tents for them. They are good scout tents but after a side by side comparison with my 25 yr old springbar I would get the springbar for a personal tent. They are just better.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Pretty sure they aren't selling the turbo tent anymore. There is another tent thread on here that led me to want one, but I couldn't find any for sale. The black pines website still shows it, but no products available

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have used the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent now for about 5-6 years. Hands down one of the best tents I have owned. Fits my family of four on the ground easy or two cots with room to spare. Lake Powell is a tent destroyer, but this tent has held up is some serious wind storms with no problems.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Another vote for the springbar. We have the 10x14 and put two massive adult cots, two kids cots and two large dog beds in ours and still move around ok. It does take up some space but it makes momma happy and when momma is happy we all get to go camping. I dont mind setting it up and pulling it down, it just doesn't take that much longer than the turbo tents and when I am camping I am not in much of a hurry

ID Bronco

I have used the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent now for about 5-6 years. Hands down one of the best tents I have owned. Fits my family of four on the ground easy or two cots with room to spare. Lake Powell is a tent destroyer, but this tent has held up is some serious wind storms with no problems.

I am a huge advocate for these, I have one that I bought after our ward used them for a few years. They held up to our monthly and weekly campouts. However, even the 8 man is uncomfortable for more than 2 cots because of the shape of the tents.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I think this is the thread @benjy was referring to... https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/trading-a-rtt-for-a-high-quality-ground-tent.109125/

What's funny is that we now have another RTT, but the idea is just to give us more options while camping. The RTT is convenient with it mounted on the trailer, but the ground tent has much more room inside.

I have also thought heavily about a RTT, I even thought about becoming a Tepui dealer. The downside for me on a RTT is not having a base camp, we camped with friends in Moab last year and every day they had to close up their RTT to go anywhere.

I really like my Springbars, the only downside to me is the nessesity to stake to the ground on setup, I have killed my fair share of tent stakes.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I am a huge advocate for these, I have one that I bought after our ward used them for a few years. They held up to our monthly and weekly campouts. However, even the 8 man is uncomfortable for more than 2 cots because of the shape of the tents.

My little brother has one of these and I can set up a springbar, get all my gear setup, make a fire and halfway cook dinner before he gets it set up. They are a nice quality tent but I don’t know if I could get 2 of my cots in it.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Anyone have thoughts on the Oztent? Seems like a good option, all the benefits of canvas without as much need to stake down so thoroughly. Seems like my favorite option right now, just having a hard time swallowing the $900 price tag

Corban_White

I didn't understand the Springbar/Kodiak thing, until I purchased 2 10x10 Kodiak tents for trek this summer. I've spent almost 100 nights in an REI base camp 4, including time at 60+ mph winds and loved it. Since having the Kodiaks I have become a convert. If I'm not staying long I only put 4-6 stakes in and it works fine. I got 2 of them at Cabelas for the price of one oz tent. I can set it up by myself in just a couple minutes and even with only a few stakes it has been fine, even at the sand dunes. Now, if I'm staying for a few days I will put them all in. If anyone wants to borrow one to try it out you are welcome to it. Ben, I'd be happy to bring one down tomorrow if you're interested.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Ben, I'd be happy to bring one down tomorrow if you're interested.

Don't worry about bringing it down, but I'll let you talk me into buying one. We're actually doing trek this year and will have 2 kodiaks to setup, so I should get plenty of experience with them this summer