New Tent Options?

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
Anyone have thoughts on the Oztent? Seems like a good option, all the benefits of canvas without as much need to stake down so thoroughly. Seems like my favorite option right now, just having a hard time swallowing the $900 price tag

I really like them, but in addition to the cost they are gigantic to transport

Houndoc

I really like my Springbars, the only downside to me is the nessesity to stake to the ground on setup, I have killed my fair share of tent stakes.

We use our Springbar at Lake Powell, often when staking it is near impossible.

We usually can get a couple stakes in, then throw rocks inside (or if you like things cleaner bring some weight disks) in the corners and center of the long side and they do great.

DAA

I used to carry a cordless hammer drill and masonry bit in slick rock country for pitching the Springbar. Bores a tent stake hole in that stuff like a hot knife through butter - less than 30 seconds. It only needs to be a few inches deep, I had some cut down big nails to use just for that. Rest of the tent could get ripped away in a tornado, that stake loop and stake would still be where you put them.

I just carry a free standing tent for that stuff anymore though.

- DAA

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Can you guys point me in a direction? Looking for a vehicle tent, the ground tents that attach to a vehicle.. but I am hoping for something in a heavy canvas. I can't find one. There are a large number of the thinner material, and kodiak makes a truck tent of canvas.. but no luck on a ground tent in canvas.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Anyone have any luck with one of these, or this brand?

I want a larger tent for a big trip this summer and am expecting lots of rain. Want to be able to crowd lots of people in it during the rain storms. Only 5 will be sleeping in it with large single person air mattresses. I'm having a hard time finding a large one room tent that has a rain fly that actually covers the windows. Not much info on it. Reviews aren't terrible.
It will be all car camping in several locations with a new location each night. So lots of set up and tear down. The price is good enough that I can throw it away if need be at the end of the trip, which will make flying back to Utah even easier.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a Marmot Halo 6 that ended up WAY bigger than I thought it would be--it's actually a really nice tent. (not as large as that 11 person one, for sure) It's pretty dang sturdy and roomy, and the rain fly covers the whole thing and makes vestibules at each end for gear or whatever. It is also not a sub-$200 tent either. ;)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Anyone have any luck with one of these, or this brand?

I want a larger tent for a big trip this summer and am expecting lots of rain. Want to be able to crowd lots of people in it during the rain storms. Only 5 will be sleeping in it with large single person air mattresses. I'm having a hard time finding a large one room tent that has a rain fly that actually covers the windows. Not much info on it. Reviews aren't terrible.
It will be all car camping in several locations with a new location each night. So lots of set up and tear down. The price is good enough that I can throw it away if need be at the end of the trip, which will make flying back to Utah even easier.
I haven't used that brand, but had an Eddie Bauer tent of that style many years ago. It was fine in bad weather, but wasn't awesome. If expecting wind and rain, stake everything down well. It is a pain to setup/takedown your self, but with help isn't too bad.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I used to use those big nylon cabin tents back in Oregon, and they were ok for a while until the cheap DWR wore off and then I'd get another. Then I moved to Utah and found out about wind. I went through three in two years and I won't own another.

Houndoc

Last summer we purchased a Northface Wawona 6. Cool tent- lots of room inside with large vestibule that was both great for storage and would give extra room to get out of the rain.

DAA

If leaving it behind and not caring is a big plus, and I get that, and you really just want to stuff 11 people into it to wait out some unpleasant but not dangerous weather, that one looks like a winner.

You won't want to leave a Marmot or Northface. But could probably get half or more of your money back, quick, selling it cheap enough, when you get back.

Mountain Hardware makes some bomber tents that used to go for less than the two just mentioned - because they were marginally heavier. Might add them to your compare list. But I haven't looked close at any of them forever.

- DAA

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If leaving it behind and not caring is a big plus, and I get that, and you really just want to stuff 11 people into it to wait out some unpleasant but not dangerous weather, that one looks like a winner.

You won't want to leave a Marmot or Northface. But could probably get half or more of your money back, quick, selling it cheap enough, when you get back.

Mountain Hardware makes some bomber tents that used to go for less than the two just mentioned - because they were marginally heavier. Might add them to your compare list. But I haven't looked close at any of them forever.

- DAA
I've got a MH trango 3 that's at least 20 years old, and a hammerhead 3 that's probably 12. Bomber tents. I've been in that trango with 80+ gusts no problem, when all the rtt and cheaper ground tent folks were sleeping in front seats.

Reactions: DAA

DAA

My Hammerhead 3 this week.

20210509441W.jpg

- DAA

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
MH goes from 4 man tents straight to 15 man....for $6k. Guaranteed, if we get into 80 mph winds, my family will bail out to the van no matter how good the tent is. :rolleyes:

Haven't pulled the trigger on a tent yet, but need to soon.