New to area

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Howdy. We just moved here from Florida and are looking for some friends to go wheeling with and show us the local trails. We are staying in a hotel for the time being, but once we get a place we'll be ready to explore.

We've been wheeling for awhile and have been through most of the majors trails in Ca, Tx, Ok, Ar, with some Mt and Id thrown in. We have been to Moab around 6 times and have been trail leaders more than once. While I enjoy hardcore trails, easy trails are great as well and are sometimes more enjoyable as I get older.

Our primary wheeling rig is a warmed over 2004 Wrangler, with many hours of fabrication, lockers f&r, atlas t-case, etc.

We also have a near-new JKU that we use for sight seeing.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome to RME, Mouse! You've found the right place, when you're settled in and ready to hit the trail, post up... I'm sure we can find a group to hit the trail and show you around.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Thanks for the welcome! Are there any good weld supplies stores local? I'll need both MIG & TIG gas once we get moved in.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
We moved jobs- started last week. Still debating renting vs. Buying. Might rent for a year to make sure we want roots before buying a place. What counties do emissions testing? If I drop an LS into the TJ, how much hassle is it to smog in the testing counties?

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Finally in a house. We are staying in West Haven. About 45 days in a hotel is no fun.

My dually needs new tires. I did some shopping and Discount Fire has the Michelines that I currently have for the same price as Tirerack. Is there a recommended Discount i should go to?

SSR

Welcome! Fall is a great time to be out wheeling in Utah. There are several Offroad FB groups based in your area that you might consider checking out to find impromptu trail runs. For fun day or overnight runs, you could go east into the mountains for some spectacular scenery. Slightly more difficult trails can be found by heading to American Fork Canyon or Five Mile. For more difficult trails, Hanging Tree in Ephraim is fun, and there are several great trails in Price. Now that your in Utah visiting Sand Hollow Recreation Area in should be on your must-do list.

The great thing about Utah is LOTS of Public land to explore. Just be aware public land, and Tread Lighly rules may be very different from private property or Offroad park areas you are accustomed to. It's absolutely critical to stay on designated trails.

I hope to see you on the trail!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I tried to rebuild a NP208 this weekend. It was grinding going into gear and popping out easily. Once I got it torn down, I found the main shaft thrust bearing destroyed, so I put all new seals in and thrust bearings. Once back together its still feels like the grinding is happening. It does not spin smoothly in 4wd (high or low). The shift forks looked perfect, but I changed out the plastic pieces anyways.

So, I guess I need to throw in the towel. Who do recommend locally to take it apart again and fix it for me?

Greg

Admin
Where are you located? I'm pretty sure Six States could do it, but the shop in Orem has the best mechanics.... at least they did 15 years ago. :oops:X-D

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Where are you located? I'm pretty sure Six States could do it, but the shop in Orem has the best mechanics.... at least they did 15 years ago. :oops:X-D

I'm in West Haven. I attempted to show my wife the issue and wouldn't you know it worked perfectly....not a single hitch. She was like "sure..." ...

Greg

Admin
There's a Six States in SLC, but I don't know much about them these days. You could try asking Agility Customs in Sandy and see if they could fix it.