New tool; Metal Band Saw

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, the used Grizzly didn't last as long as I'd hoped... not long ago while I was using it, the motor started smoking and then it locked up. It's just a 1/2 HP 110V motor, but I was hesitant to sink more money into a used $100 band saw. I sat on it for awhile, then found a deal on a much larger, liquid cooled, 4 speed, 7" x 12" Foremost (made in Taiwan) band saw. Now this is overkill for most of my needs, but cutting axle tubes, etc were a bit much for the smaller saw. 😬😄

I took the opportunity to upgrade to another used saw, this one setting me back $600.

I need to clean it up, the PO said the electric pump for the cutting fluid may not work so I'll check that out, probably buy a couple spare blades. I ran it for a bit and it seems to work well.

20220912_165007-X4.jpg

20220912_165036-X4.jpg

20220912_165017-X4.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
That one looks really really close to my Enco saw. It's been good with a couple hiccups that needed repairing.

I no longer use cutting fluid at all. Dry cutting all the way. It's so much less messy, and I don't really notice a difference in blade life.

I've rebuilt the clamp mechanism, had to find some LH thread Acme nuts to replace the 1/2 "nut" it uses originally. I also had to replace the worm gear that drives the pulley, when it ran out of oil and ate itself. That one turned out to be because the oil leaked out through the bearing/hub, since the sealed bearing is the only "seal" to keep the oil in. I now have a proper oil seal in there, and every time I check the oil it's full. :cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That one looks really really close to my Enco saw. It's been good with a couple hiccups that needed repairing.

I no longer use cutting fluid at all. Dry cutting all the way. It's so much less messy, and I don't really notice a difference in blade life.

I've rebuilt the clamp mechanism, had to find some LH thread Acme nuts to replace the 1/2 "nut" it uses originally. I also had to replace the worm gear that drives the pulley, when it ran out of oil and ate itself. That one turned out to be because the oil leaked out through the bearing/hub, since the sealed bearing is the only "seal" to keep the oil in. I now have a proper oil seal in there, and every time I check the oil it's full. :cool:

Good insight, I liked the idea of cutting fluid helping the blade last longer.... but messes aren't fun.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level and bearing/hub... thanks Carl!