New tow pig

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Update; the old new tow pig was replaced; this is now the new NEW tow pig: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax (LBZ)
5618370F-D24A-412C-B6A4-BA08A2F642B2.png

long story short, the black Duramax was old. It was old before i got it. with almost 300k on it, it was still going to be a good truck for someone, but just not for us. With two kids, it was not a reliable enough vehicle to tow our camper across multiple states with much confidence. did it do it? yea. we made it up to Oregon and back, but 3 miles after we got back, it died with a weird electrical issue. the front suspension was shot. There was a possible head gasket issue developing. So it was time to find something else, and of course, it was right during the truck shortage, so finding a good truck without spending a fortune was a tall task.

I found this truck at Ignite Automotive in Provo, and after a test drive, shook hands. It had some issues develop that only came up while towing, but the guys at Ignite took care of it. I was extremely impressed with how they handled everything. The only changes ive done so far have been an upgrade to Nitto Recon Grapplers in the 33x12.5x20 flavor, and an Edge CTS3, which should be arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Put 1200 miles on the truck this weekend with our camper in tow. Other than some cooling issues, it did great. Looks like i'll be puling the cooling stack out this weekend to blow all the crap out, (who knows how long its been), as well as swapping thermostats, and upgrading the fan clutch.3AEC701F-CF56-4A60-B6E6-7B804CA5A614.jpeg

Last edited:

RockChucker

Put 1200 miles on the truck this weekend with our camper in tow. Other than some cooling issues, it did great. Looks like i'll be puling the cooling stack out this weekend to blow all the crap out, (who knows how long its been), as well as swapping thermostats, and upgrading the fan clutch.View attachment 140019
I need to do the same to mine. I keep putting it off because i don't want to have to deal with evacuating the refrigerant from the AC. I really should do it though. Good call to swap your fan clutch at the same time. I did mine a few years ago (because the fan was never kicking into high) and it was a pain with everything in the way. My forearms didn't appreciate being crammed into places they didn't really fit.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
I need to do the same to mine. I keep putting it off because i don't want to have to deal with evacuating the refrigerant from the AC. I really should do it though. Good call to swap your fan clutch at the same time. I did mine a few years ago (because the fan was never kicking into high) and it was a pain with everything in the way. My forearms didn't appreciate being crammed into places they didn't really fit.

i want to say that i saw a youtube vid where they didnt pull the AC compressor, which would make things MUCH easier

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
Hauled the trailer up through Spanish Fork Canyon over the weekend. I was a bit heavier on the throttle than usual in an attempt to get the truck warm. Other than the last mile or so climb up to Soldier Summit, the truck stayed right at 210-215, even with the trans locked into 5th (out of 6). The last mile is the steepest, and got the engine up to about 230 or so. I also *might* have been going about 75mph as I crested the summit :neutral:

So cleaning the cooling stack, and swapping out the fan clutch absolutely helped. I will be doing thermostats at some point, as I'm fighting a P0128 code, and I think those need to be swapped. That leaves only the water pump to be replaced or at least tended to, but ::fingers crossed:: that's not an issue.

DAA

This didn't really make any difference.

IMG_3681W.jpg

- DAA