Shop / Tools New welder, ESAB EMP 215ic Rebel

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I recently picked up a used ESAB EMP 215ic Rebel, it's a multi-processes machine, MIG, TIG and ARC! I've been casually looking for a machine that can TIG, wanted an ESAB but didn't think I'd find a used one. I ended up finding one that just hit the classifieds, the guy was having a divorce/moving sale and it was a good price for a lightly used machine! I got to test drive it before buying and it's a beautiful, strong welder. The weld it layed down looked and sounded strong, it was pretty impressive for a small box welder. What's really cool, it has an adapter and will run off 110 volt too. The PO said even on 110, it puts down a good weld.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to TIG weld! I'm sure it will be a lot of trial & error, but I'm excited to learn something new.

I posted my old Lincoln SP175+ for sale, I've had it for 24 years, bought it new and it has built a LOT of projects and been a great welder.... but TIG welding is calling my name.

Anyone else using one of these? I've got plenty of fab work to do with my Willys Crawler, looking forward to getting to know the ESAB with it.

20190726_105020.jpg

astjp2

I have an esab plasma 550, good units. Consumables are extremely expensive for the plasma, TIG stuff is more generic. I know guys who like the Lanthanted tungsten, you can go air cooled for the torch but if you are going to be doing lots of heavy steel with high amps and long duty cycle, you may consider a water cooled torch.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Coincidentally, I picked up this same machine a few months ago brand new (their marketing team must be doing a great job... X-D ) but really I got mine a few weeks after watching a bunch of reviews on YouTube.

It’s definitely a great welder for what I’ve done so far. I think it helps me be a lot better than I really am. I’m cheating and using the SMIG option a lot.

I haven't used the other features yet but i plan on getting a bottle of argon for learning to TIG soon. I also went this route because I can also run 110 mig or smaw out in the yard to repair some things.

It welds noticeably smoother... strong arc. I dig it. I’d love to see other people review the Miller and Lincoln multis here as well.