New welder

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I've decided to put on some big boy pants and buy a new welder.
I think the Lincoln 180 from Home Depot will be my choice based on me being cheap. It should be more than sufficient for the handful of small projects I do each year.

I have never owned a 220 mig, and have only used one for about a week as I helped a blind neighbor finish the project that made him go blind.
His was gas shielded, and I remember feeling like a God because my welds were so pretty and perfect.

I can weld real swell with my 110 mig with flux wire... but the welds look gritty due to the flux IMO. Not that nice IG worthy dime stack.

When the stars align, and the weld is horizontal, I can make a pretty weld with my 220 stick... but like 75% of the time they look more similar to a crack addicts smile.

I have never used a TIG, but the option sounds fun to learn..

I will obviously have to get the gas bottle and such to be able to run shielded, and that may take me a little more time.
If I run it with the flux core for a while, am I going to be sorely disappointed? If so, I can already feel that way without spending another $850...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Just from reading your post, I think you’ll be disappointed with flux. It’s a step up from stick welding in terms of ease of use, but the appearance will be similar.
I started off welding with just stick welding. Learned it OJT style. Built my first jeep with it. It defiantly has its place and everyone should learn it. Flux core does too, I’m sure. But it’s hard for me to say that. Dual shield is awesome when you get into heavy material. I enjoyed it while I was doing it. In the end, mig is where it’s at. Buy it. Don’t look back.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
In the end, mig is where it’s at. Buy it. Don’t look back.
^^Summary complete.

You're talking about getting what is essentially my exact same welder, although mine is the 15-year-ago model. It's treated me just great.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So realistically what is the difference between the 180 Weldpak that Brian is looking at and the more expensive Power MIG 180 other than the input voltage flexibility? They seem to have the same specs in terms of thickness.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
So realistically what is the difference between the 180 Weldpak that Brian is looking at and the more expensive Power MIG 180 other than the input voltage flexibility? They seem to have the same specs in terms of thickness.
I can't find the specs easily, but I bet there's a difference in duty cycle at least.

And to enable his cheap-ness, I'd have to consider looking at the Harbor Freight Titanium MIG 170 for less $$, and the Vulcan MIGMax 215 for about the same $$ as the Home Depot version Lincoln. I have the tiny Titanium 125 which has been awesome the few times I've used it, and I've been pretty impressed with my Vulcan TIG welder too. Time will tell their longevity.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I can't speak to quality/actual use (I own one that I haven't even used yet...) but Eastwood has a pretty good selection of cheap-ish welders that I think would be worth checking out too.

I wonder if the disappointment with your current flux core setup might have more to do with setup than the welder itself. If setup correctly and done right, I think flux core welds should be every bit as acceptable as (arguably better than) a MIG weld. Maybe dive deeper into your current setup first before making the expensive jump to a "big boy" MIG welder just to be equally disappointed.

I like videos from the weld.com youtube channel - they have some very good basic tutorials that may help with your setup...

That said, I have a 15-ish year old Miller Auto-Set 185 MIG machine that I really like welding with. I'd buy another.

Last edited:

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Thanks for the replies guys! I have heard good thinks about the Vulcans and titaniums as well.. but the TIG option in the Lincoln sounded appealing.. so It leaned me that way. But realizing that the gas is different for TIG and MIG, It's most likely I'd never tig. So maybe the Titanium gets the nod now.

I can't speak to quality/actual use (I own one that I haven't even used yet...) but Eastwood has a pretty good selection of cheap-ish welders that I think would be worth checking out too.

I wonder if the disappointment with your current flux core setup might have more to do with setup than the welder itself. If setup correctly and done right, I think flux core welds should be every bit as acceptable as (arguably better than) a MIG weld. Maybe dive deeper into your current setup first before making the expensive jump to a "big boy" MIG welder just to be equally disappointed.

I like videos from the weld.com youtube channel - they have some very good basic tutorials that may help with your setup...

That said, I have a 15-ish year old Miller Auto-Set 185 MIG machine that I really like welding with. I'd buy another.

I watched this video last night, along with many others from him.
My current Flux machine is a 110, so it doesn't get used to build heavy projects like hitches, snowplows, trailers, etc.
It is set up correctly, and I get a great weld.. but the welds are not shiny like the MIG I used was.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The Lincoln is only DC tig if I recall so you could only do steel. But they also have stick leads which could be handy. I have the power mig 180 you are welcome to come try. I don't know if it's better than the HD version but the "feeling in the hand" meter is better. If I remember correctly the HD version has detent for wire feed and current where mine is infinitely adjustable between letters/numbers.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
You "can" MIG with 100% argon, it's just more expensive than mixed gas. Having two bottles is kinda nice though.

I really enjoy the ability to use dual voltage on my Miller 211 autoset and often still use flux core wire for jobs away from the shop where bringing gas isn't practical or that I don't have time to prep as much or that are outside where wind will blow away my shielding gas or I want more penetration because I'm away on 110.

IMO I wouldn't buy a TIG that doesn't have AC capabilities. Part of the draw of TIG (for me) was being able to weld Aluminum.

You can buy a used gas bottle for LOTS cheaper than new just make sure it's not a rental (because Stupids LOVE to sell rentals as user owned) and that it's been pressure tested recently and it's gravy baby.

crosbike

I'd definitely stay away from lincoln from Home Depot.
What about a hobart 190? I love mine and have built tons of things with it.
Or a used miller off of ksl?
I was not impressed with Eastwood products but have heard good things on the harbor freight lines and Everlast too.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
You can borrow my pro-mig 180 if you want to try it. I haven't wired a plug for it in my garage yet so you'd have to just take it home.
I gave my opinion on it earlier in this thread. When I bought mine I did the sensible thing and threw away the spool of flux core wire so I can't tell you if it works well or not.

The Lincoln is only DC tig if I recall so you could only do steel. But they also have stick leads which could be handy. I have the power mig 180 you are welcome to come try. I don't know if it's better than the HD version but the "feeling in the hand" meter is better. If I remember correctly the HD version has detent for wire feed and current where mine is infinitely adjustable between letters/numbers.
Correct, A-E. I've personally never been like "aw man I wish I had more adjustment" but some people do say that is a reason to not get one 🤷‍♂️