New welder

jedi

aboogadaboogadaboogada
I am about to buy a new welder and need some guidance. Current welder is an older Harbor Freight special, it doesn’t quit weld, more for making metal boogers. It served its purpose but time to upgrade. I have 1000 dollar gift card I can get to Home Depot, Lowe’s, or Amazon, so that’s where I am wanting to buy from. What am I going to use the welder for? Rock sliders, roll cage, bumpers, stuff like that. I am wanting the new welder to actually learn some skill, not just make boogers. Haha. I currently do not have 220 in my garage but I will… eventually. Also on the list is to have power ran to my garage, any electricians out there need work? So what can you recommend for me?

Pile of parts

Do buy a 220 welder. I bought a Hobart handler 210 MPV for under $1000. However, the gas bottle will cost you more. I had a Lincoln 120v and loved it but really like the extra power.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
With the limitations on where you can use your gift card, I'd probably choose a Lincoln 180 from either Lowe's or HD. They both list the package for $699....you'll still need a gas bottle to complete it, but you'll be able to weld flux-core out of the box at least.

Amazon has a TON of no-name welders, but I think I'd stick to an actual name brand if it were me.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard/thought I heard Lincoln’s from HD/Lowe’s we’re not the same as what you get at a welding supply store. Basically a Chinese box painted red.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I heard/thought I heard Lincoln’s from HD/Lowe’s we’re not the same as what you get at a welding supply store. Basically a Chinese box painted red.
I have heard this too and have seen them, they are not the same as my Lincoln powermig 180. I think the weldpak 180 was what I compared it to. It looked to be way lower quality.

I think Hobart sells directly on Amazon…. Get a Multi-handler 200… or 190 or 210 or whatever they’re marketing it as currently… has MVP so you can run 110 or 220, should be close to your $1000, maybe a little more.
make yourself a cord to run off two 110 outlets (separate breakers) and you can have 220 until you get it wired in properly.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I like my MIller 211. It runs great on 220, but also can be run on 110 while you're waiting to get the electrical ready in your garage. Can do 3/8 in one pass. Easy to change wire and welds better than my old Lincoln ever did

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
make yourself a cord to run off two 110 outlets (separate breakers) and you can have 220 until you get it wired in properly.
I think you'd want to make sure that the outlets are not only on separate breakers but that they are on opposite legs as well so you get both legs of power (split phase) for the 240V, otherwise you'll just be running at half a split phase, no idea what that would do. :D

edit: actually I think you would still only get 120V off the two outlets on the same leg. Honestly, I wouldn't do it... because even if you get the wiring right you still have to consider the gauge size of wiring running to the outlets and other potential issues.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yep... It just shut off, mid-weld. I dropped off my ESAB at a welder repair shop and we talk about the best replacement options. He said the last ESAB he repaired took 3 months waiting on parts. It could be the power switch or possibly the circuit board.
Son of a... Mine better not give up the ghost.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I have heard this too and have seen them, they are not the same as my Lincoln powermig 180. I think the weldpak 180 was what I compared it to. It looked to be way lower quality.
Exactly, Lincoln sells two different models of all their smaller welders. One is the actual good one, the other is their "HD" version which stands for Home Depot... not Heavy Duty unfortunately. Difference is that the cheap one is all plastics and cheap wiring, and the actual Lincoln one is much better quality parts. Similar to Miller/Hobart. But at least Miller is kind enough to have them Branded separately.

I would definitely go Hobart over Lincoln if you've gotta stay under $1,000. More reliable and the customer service is worlds better.

Bart

Yep... It just shut off, mid-weld. I dropped off my ESAB at a welder repair shop and we talk about the best replacement options. He said the last ESAB he repaired took 3 months waiting on parts. It could be the power switch or possibly the circuit board.

Oh man, that sucks. Glad you were in a position to replace it instead of waiting on the repair.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I have the Lincoln Pro-Mig 180 (cheap Lowe’s version) and I’ve put countless spools of wire through it with zero issues. I would 100% suggest it for a basic hobbyist welder.