Next rig options?

Houndoc

Starting this summer when my wife's Bronco Sport arrives, for the first time, my off-roader will not have to double as a daily driver.

An exciting time, depending how much money I decide I want to put into things. Haven't made that absolutely key decision yet!

Main criteria I have in a rig:
1) Low maintenance/reliable. Wrenching is not my thing.
2) Good road manners. Hunting and exploring are main uses and needs to be highway friendly.
3) 5K minimum tow rating. Don't plan on a lot of heavy towing, light equipment trailer at times, but maneuvering hay trailer and boat around the yard are easier not having to use my crew cab pick-up.
4) Would like to step up capability from where I am now (33s and rear locker.)
5) Fun/cool factor.

Thoughts so far:
A: Keep my 2006 Xterra. Pluses: Has done well on the trails I have done with it, I know it well and so far has been very reliable. Negatives: 240K miles, limited ability to improve it's capability (on board air, front locker, bumpers). Not too high on the "cool" scale, especially after years of driving it.
B: First Generation Tacoma double cab. Pushing what I would want size wise (turning radius mostly) newer ones certainly over. Space would be great, especially hunting.
C: LJ. Have always liked them, down side is only 2 door and limited storage. Capable out of the box and easy to upgrade.
D: Land Cruisers. Never a bad choice.
E: Defender: High on the cool scale, probably lower on the others.
F: SAS's first generation Durango. Loved my Durango when they first came out. Cost to modify? Reliability?

Other ideas or input on the process?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member

Houndoc

how about another xterra?
Thought crossed my mind when I saw the add this morning!

DAA

Starting this summer when my wife's Bronco Sport arrives, for the first time, my off-roader will not have to double as a daily driver.

An exciting time, depending how much money I decide I want to put into things. Haven't made that absolutely key decision yet!

Main criteria I have in a rig:
1) Low maintenance/reliable. Wrenching is not my thing.
2) Good road manners. Hunting and exploring are main uses and needs to be highway friendly.
3) 5K minimum tow rating. Don't plan on a lot of heavy towing, light equipment trailer at times, but maneuvering hay trailer and boat around the yard are easier not having to use my crew cab pick-up.
4) Would like to step up capability from where I am now (33s and rear locker.)
5) Fun/cool factor.

Thoughts so far:
A: Keep my 2006 Xterra. Pluses: Has done well on the trails I have done with it, I know it well and so far has been very reliable. Negatives: 240K miles, limited ability to improve it's capability (on board air, front locker, bumpers). Not too high on the "cool" scale, especially after years of driving it.
B: First Generation Tacoma double cab. Pushing what I would want size wise (turning radius mostly) newer ones certainly over. Space would be great, especially hunting.
C: LJ. Have always liked them, down side is only 2 door and limited storage. Capable out of the box and easy to upgrade.
D: Land Cruisers. Never a bad choice.
E: Defender: High on the cool scale, probably lower on the others.
F: SAS's first generation Durango. Loved my Durango when they first came out. Cost to modify? Reliability?

Other ideas or input on the process?

Sounds like a Cruiser to me.

You'd hate the road manners of an LJ and it doesn't even sniff your desired tow rating. Defender? Really? See #1, three times. Then look at #4 a couple times, they don't call those glass axles for nothing. SAS Durango, eh, if done right, but I'd look hard at #1 again if wrenching is not your thing - can't just drop that off at the dealer and expect anything good to come from it.

- DAA

DAA

Oh, I guess I missed the 1st gen Tacoma. I love Tacomas. But the interiors are super sucky, the seats are brutal. Long highway rides in even a newest gen Tacoma give me a bad case of Advil addiction. This coming from an LJ guy. They really do suck to put long highway miles on. Wind noise bouncing off the cheap plastic surfaces everywhere, seats an inch off the floor, I get a back ache just thinking about a long trip in one of my buddies Tacoma's. Which, I do often. Crazy at it sounds, my LJ (with Mastercrafts...) is actually an order of magnitude more comfortable for putting in long days in the saddle. My several Tacoma owning buddies all agree, too.

Cruiser way more better. Even an 80.

- DAA

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
A well maintained 80 series is pretty capable, reliable, and street friendly. I have just shy of 200k miles on my 97 Land Cruiser and its awesome off-road, and sufficient on road. I have done many road trips in mine, and while it isn't my first choice for a long road trip, it will handle the miles ok enough i don't regret ever taking it on a trip.

If you're serious about towing, and looking at a cruiser, I would look at a 100 series (98-07) or 200 series (08-21). They are very capable off-road, but not considered serious rock crawlers (although they hold their own). Compared to an Xterra they would be comparable in my opinion.

One of the most capable and fun vehicles I have owned was my 03 Lexus GX 470. From the outside looking in, it fits 95% of your criteria other than maxing out with 33's and rear locker. That being said, I was surprised at the capability of mine on 33's with A-Trac. It'll tow what you're after (barely), is very street friendly, pretty capable off-road, and very reliable if maintained. Put an ARB in the rear, or find a beefier FJ Cruiser rear with the E-locker to swap in, and the GX is awesome. I sold mine to get into something with more room for hauling the family and ended up in a 200 series currently. My 80 still see's 95% of my offroad use, but the 200 is comfortable, capable, and fun to drive. Finding an affordable 200 is quite a challenge right now though, so may not be a great option if staying on a budget.

long winded $0.02.

If you are looking for a solid 80 Series, check out this one my buddy is selling:

Last edited:

Houndoc

A well maintained 80 series is pretty capable, reliable, and street friendly. I have just shy of 200k miles on my 97 Land Cruiser and its awesome off-road, and sufficient on road. I have done many road trips in mine, and while it isn't my first choice for a long road trip, it will handle the miles ok enough i don't regret ever taking it on a trip.

If you're serious about towing, and looking at a cruiser, I would look at a 100 series (98-07) or 200 series (08-21). They are very capable off-road, but not considered serious rock crawlers (although they hold their own). Compared to an Xterra they would be comparable in my opinion.

One of the most capable and fun vehicles I have owned was my 03 Lexus GX 470. From the outside looking in, it fits 95% of your criteria other than maxing out with 33's and rear locker. That being said, I was surprised at the capability of mine on 33's with A-Trac. It'll tow what you're after (barely), is very street friendly, pretty capable off-road, and very reliable if maintained. Put an ARB in the rear, or find a beefier FJ Cruiser rear with the E-locker to swap in, and the GX is awesome. I sold mine to get into something with more room for hauling the family and ended up in a 200 series currently. My 80 still see's 95% of my offroad use, but the 200 is comfortable, capable, and fun to drive. Finding an affordable 200 is quite a challenge right now though, so may not be a great option if staying on a budget.

long winded $0.02.

If you are looking for a solid 80 Series, check out this one my buddy is selling:
Thanks for the link, your friend's rig is worth checking out.

Houndoc

I would also say Tacoma... It's not as big as you think and they are super low maintenance and capable.

What about a v8 4runner or even a frontier?
Which generation Tacoma?
I have always really liked the first gen, newer makes me worry some about turning radius etc (but in all honesty have taken the time yet to look it up!)
For a lot of the use, I would prefer having the truck bed for sure.
And yes, I should have put 4Runner on my initial list as well.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Which generation Tacoma?
I have always really liked the first gen, newer makes me worry some about turning radius etc (but in all honesty have taken the time yet to look it up!)
For a lot of the use, I would prefer having the truck bed for sure.
And yes, I should have put 4Runner on my initial list as well.
I've only owned the 2nd gen (2010). 4 door short bed. I don't think the seats are quite as bad as DAA is saying, but they aren't great and the road noise and creature comforts definitely don't compare to some of the other options--especially the cruisers and 4runners.

My brother bought my Tacoma. I put that thing through a lot of trails...it's got almost 200k on the ticker with probably 50k in dirt miles, and other than some basic maintenance stuff is still running strong. It didn't turn super sharp, but compared to my grand cherokees it honestly didn't feel that much bigger. I also didn't do the same types of trails with it though. My f150 feels absolutely massive compared to the tacoma.

If you could find a first gen tacoma with reasonably low miles that would be a killer score for you, but it's like a needle in the haystack. The other added value of the tacoma is that you can drive it for 100k miles and sell it for like 10% less than you paid ha ha.

The frontiers are similar sized, but without the similar demand. You're already comfortable with Nissan, so I bet you could get a lot more Frontier for your money than the Taco.

Houndoc

Did a little looking up on turning radius (a concern as I have a bit of a narrow entry into my new boat barn, failed on Saturday with the GMC, easy in the Xterra).
My 2008 GMC 2500 crew cab- 51 feet.
Second Gen. Tacoma- 44 feet
First Gen Tacoma, 80 series Land Cruiser- 40 feet
Xterra- 37 feet.
Tundra (first generation)- 45 feet for extended cab, 47 for crew cab.

And a few options of each out there that could have potential:

One question would be what would it take to get each one to the trail capability level I would hope for.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
First gen tundra (access cab) is the same dimensions as a second gen tacoma, so not huge, but solid v8 and super reliable. I absolutely loved mine. Way better for a daily driver than an 80 or gen 1 tacoma. V8 4Runner or LX470 as suggested earlier would be awesome.
Cruiser prices are crazy right now.

Trate D

I recently sold my wife’s 2011 Gx460 with 118k. I asked 25,500 and sold within 24hrs and had 6 people in line to come get it. (Probably undersold it. But oh well.)

That being said it was a very solid, comfortable, reliable rig. Had some good mods and was plenty capable and turned on a dime. We just weren’t utilizing it and premium fuel and mileage just wasn’t adding up for how much my wife drives. I would have liked to keep it but with the Jeep and a tow rig it didn’t make sense. I think it would be a vehicle worth looking into and checks much of your boxes.

Pics for reference.

Attachments

• 4276A174-FEC6-41F5-8CBF-3FCA9E800130.jpeg
    4276A174-FEC6-41F5-8CBF-3FCA9E800130.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BE2AE2AE-49B4-44BE-BEAA-E82CEF69E18C.jpeg
    BE2AE2AE-49B4-44BE-BEAA-E82CEF69E18C.jpeg
    306 KB · Views: 8

Houndoc

A few more thoughts and questions as I have done more reading and thinking.

1) 80 Series Cruiser fits the bill great (gas mileage excepted) but are rather absurdly priced.
2) Lexus GX and 4Runner more reasonable priced, but seem to have same limitations as my Xterra of limited lift options, max 33" tires. Do I gain much buying different vehicle compared to investing into the Xterra?
3) Tacoma-First generation with lift may have best break over angle of the list, obviously some less than stellar feed back earlier in the discussion on comfort. Second gen seems to have worse breakover, entry and exit angles.
4) Tundra (1st gen, access cab), V8 gives great power option, similar to Tacoma in many ways but worse departure angle because of longer bed. Otherwise possible my first choice for versatility.

So, I am now need to gain more insight into lift and locker options for each, including cost (suggestions on who I reach out to?) and see what I can buy as base to build from.