No Cat. Converter=Illegal?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Does anyone know how illegal it is to get rid of the cat. converter? I don't have to pass emisions, but i was just wondering. Alot of people told not to worry, but I'm looking for more input on the subject.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It's very illegal. Do you plan on registering it ever again?

If you want to free up some exhaust flow and keep it 'looking' legal, you may be able to hollow the Cat out...... but the engine better burn really clean, or it will never pass IM.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've owned rigs that were removed before I bought them and the emissions guy told me, only if I failed, would I have to put it back on. That was on a pre 83' truck though, I think after 83 you gotta have one in place(or "appear" to have one;) )

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ya, it's regestered up in Woodland so I wouldn't have to pass. So passing isn't and never has been an issue for me. Plus My bro's friends "passes" me on safety. Though i'm sure it passes a real safety test.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
if you piss off a highway patrolman and he starts picking around your rig and finds no cat....the exhaust shop I go to told me it is a fine of over 10,000$ if convicted!! I don't know if they are BS'ing me or not but I know if it came with a cat and it rolls on pavement, you need to retain it. Hollow it out if you want a more free flowing device, personally I hate zuk drivetrain on the highway because any little restriction makes it a complete piece of crap!! I am sick of mine!!

4xfred

I'm not going to get into the legal aspects. The Feds. say it's illegal to remove ANY pollution control device"!!!. What I will say is this: if your truck was built & designed to have a cat., why not get a high flow cat. & be legal? Out here in PA., NJ. & surrounding states, it is MANDATORY that you meet Federal IM laws. The cops WILL fine you if they look @ your truck hard enough. Later...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I think i'll hollow it. Wort has a hollowes toyota cat. sittin around his garage. Then I'll have alittle Toyota on my rig. So, is it the same fines and crap to remove the muffler? IM is nothing to me, and I highly doubt it would be louder than those huge Fords with 4" exhausts, or the rice rockets around town. Input on this?

redrock

i don't have one. and have ran mine like that for two years just don't say any thing if cop pulls you over they don't look for things like that. if it not loud as hell nobody will even know if worried just hollow it out and leave it on. i have done that to. no worries man

kb7sei

If you just hollow the cat out you will probably backfire or make wierd noises. A cop could probably tell you hollowed it just by walking by your rig with the engine running. If you really feel you must get rid of it and want to look legal, put a pipe through the middle of it and weld the seams. That way, it's a straight pipe but looks like a cat.

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the cats. They aren't that restrictive and removing it doesn't gain you much. In an old vehicle, it's probably worn out anyway.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Well, I hollowed it out today. It does make a slight wierd sound, but hardly. It actually sounds alittle throatier. Now for a cherry bomb or something cheesy like that to replace the muffler.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Actually yes I have. Not alot, but definately notice alittle bit more power. I was thinking play the Moab'02 video again tomorrow. Then work on the RS one for Wed. and Thurs.'s announcements. That way everyone gets to see both of them. We need to get that done! We need to put it to some hardcore sh!t!! Lots of Smokin' in the video too.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
We always have too much for this type of short film. Like 1-2 mins long. But I would love to get your footage of the hillclimbing up the tailings.