No more state safety inspection in utah

Coco

My thoughts are similar to others. I like the idea of it in certain situations on one hand, but I see people that just dont give a crap about there vehicles, and I see those vehicles on the roads, and it scares me to think that it wont be regulated. If people took care of there vehicles like most of us do, I would be fine with it. From my experience at mechanic shops however, that simply is not the case.

I will be curious of the Gov vetoes this, but I think he will veto the concealed bill. My personal thoughts are 18 is too young to CC, but thats an entirely different topic.

smartass_kid

I will be curious of the Gov vetoes this, but I think he will veto the concealed bill. My personal thoughts are 18 is too young to CC, but thats an entirely different topic.

i think it died already since the NRA lobbied against it, they didn't want domestic-abusers to be restricted from carrying.
sales over sense

Pile of parts

Like others on here, I don't worry about my own vehicles because I maintain my stuff for my family's safety. I do, however, worry about the many others who simply don't know or care and the hazzard they pose. Many that fall in that category will be the type to not care about insurance either.

RockChucker

I'm all for getting rid of it. People need to take more responsibility over their own lives. I don't think it will let more "crap" drive down the road either. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the time you see total garbage driving down the road, the tags are expired because it won't pass safety. Wouldn't be surprised if those are people that don't carry insurance either...

ID Bronco

I dont like it. Whoever was stupid enough to come up with this should be removed from position.

When I did state I inspections in west valley back in the day. We would have a ton of cars come in with bad tie rods or balljoints. I wouldn't want someone on the freeway next to me doing 70 with suspension hanging by a thread.
This politician should be shot.

I wonder how the highway patrol feels about this ????

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Coming from a state without safety inspections I think you are out of your mind. The politician who is trying to roll back governmental interference in your life should be shot? Maybe you were wound up when you wrote this, but it is silly. If good politicians (and yes there are very few) get beat up so to speak about trying to reduce government regulations it will never happen at all. Take personal responsibility.

Someone else was worried they wouldn't check on their vehicles without being forced, step up to the responsibility plate.

I'm all for getting rid of it. People need to take more responsibility over their own lives. I don't think it will let more "crap" drive down the road either. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the time you see total garbage driving down the road, the tags are expired because it won't pass safety. Wouldn't be surprised if those are people that don't carry insurance either...

It's a lot like passing gun laws so criminals won't have guns. Similar premise. If I want to buy drugs instead of fixing my car, I will buy drugs no matter the laws.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I'm not a fan of it really but I don't think its going to change much, most people that have shady crappy cars that shouldn't be on the road know someone that passes it for them anyway. So those crappy unsafe cars are already on the road. I'm not a fan of government interference, but the simple fact is now days people are lazy as hell, and until the wheel falls off on the freeway doing 95 mph the vast majority of the population (car enthusiasts being the the exception) will drive their car until the wheel does fall off. Unless you know how to do it yourself fixing a car isn't cheap, and even when you do its not that cheap especially with new cars. People will see vehicle maintenance now as an unnecessary expense that just hurts their monthly income because lets face it a large amount of our population is living well beyond their means.

Last edited:

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
I think it's a great idea, I'm tired of worrying about whether my truck will pass safety for something completely unrelated to a safety issue..

I agree, ditch the nanny approach and maybe focus more on educating the people so they actually pay attention to their vehicle.

SWALLDOG

The more I think about it the more I'm getting excited about it. No more swapping out my tinted windows for clear ones every year. Lol.

I think a lot of the lube and tire shops that did safety inspections will step up. I would think they would have to, it seems like that's how they get a lot of there work. I know a lot of dealerships inspect every vehicle that comes in. When ever my wife would take here Grand Cherokee in they always had there 13 point inspection or whatever it was. Last week we took her Tahoe in for a new Key and fob ( I think one of the kids put the spare in the trash lol) and after they made a new Key and programmed the fob they did a front end and alignment check. He said they do it on every vehicle that comes it.

Anyways I agree that less government regulations on the people is always a good thing!

Probably at work under a truck

Houndoc

The problem with the "personal responsibility" argument in this case, is that it puts others at risk.

Don't want to use your seatbelt or ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Stupid but your choice and you don't put others at risk.

Don't want to maintain a safe vehicle? That puts everyone else on the road potentially in danger.

rholbrook

I am on the fence. All the shiz I drive is all pretty new, I do like my windows dark and have yet to get a fix it ticket for it and like others, know someone but I generally only go one shade darker than legal on the front two. I am nervous about other people's shit they drive. Either way it seems to get put on the road anyway at some point.

Shane, if you hang out with Dave, you are going to have to take up smoking cigars to relax, talk like Sam Elliott, get lots of guns.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
The problem with the "personal responsibility" argument in this case, is that it puts others at risk.

Don't want to use your seatbelt or ride a motorcycle without a helmet? Stupid but your choice and you don't put others at risk.

Don't want to maintain a safe vehicle? That puts everyone else on the road potentially in danger.
This is the same argument used by gun control advocates. I'm shocked at the emotional response to this topic here of all places. Look at the data not your gut response.
CO has no required inspection, similar population density, geography and weather. You can look at their total vehicle fatalities and remove the only difference which is more drunk driving deaths. Unless you think those deaths are related to safety inspections. Once you correct for DUI's it is safer to drive in CO.
We don't need to speculate on what people will do or how it will affect safety. We have the data. Go to the national highway safety boards web site and look at vehicle deaths per year by state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I personally wish we had stricter safety inspections than currently is in place, or at least had stricter enforcement of current laws. So tired of seeing a lot of unsafe vehicles every day, most of which are lifted rigs that you know didn't LEGALLY pass safety, no excuse for it at all. Also wish we had stricter enforcement for diesels, it would be funny if LEO's could run a hose from the tailpipe up through the window of the truck for these monkeys who think it's funny to "roll coal", but at least there have been some improvements toward more cities/counties requiring testing.

Last edited:
Anytime we can get less control by government over pretty much any part of our lives, I count that as a good thing. No arguments for those that want to make the place safer, I just don't think it is worth the costs of loss of freedom. No insults intended, but I also have the belief that a government solution is likely the lowest common denominator solution for any problem.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I personally wish we had stricter safety inspections than currently is in place, or at least had stricter enforcement of current laws. So tired of seeing a lot of unsafe vehicles every day, most of which are lifted rigs that you know didn't LEGALLY pass safety, no excuse for it at all. Also wish we had stricter enforcement for diesels, it would be funny if LEO's could run a hose from the tailpipe up through the window of the truck for these monkeys who think it's funny to "roll coal", but at least there have been some improvements toward more cities/counties requiring testing.

Here is my problem with your statement. The current laws are both good and bad. There are many stock 3/4 ton trucks that don't pass the current mud flap regulations from the factory. That is BS.
Another problem is front bumpers. If you have a factory plastic bumper that is the width of your vehicle it passes while a steel bumper that is 6 inches shorter does not.
You want the rules to be more strict? In what way? Those just two examples of Safety regulations that don't make the vehicle safer. The book is 30+ pages, there are many more regulations that are arbitrary and make no improvement in safety.
As for lifted trucks, aside from mud flaps I don't see many lifted trucks that violate any of the other safety requirements. The only regulations that are impacted by lifts are tire coverage and frame height. The frame cannot be more than 26 inches off the ground. That is a HUGE lift, like 8+ inches and 40's.
As for "rolling coal" I totally agree. There is no reason to dump unburnt fuel out your exhaust just to pollute. Our air quality is shitty enough. But, that is emissions, not safety. Utah is keeping emissions testing and in fact, Utah county is reinstating emissions testing for diesels.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Here is my problem with your statement. The current laws are both good and bad. There are many stock 3/4 ton trucks that don't pass the current mud flap regulations from the factory. That is BS.
Another problem is front bumpers. If you have a factory plastic bumper that is the width of your vehicle it passes while a steel bumper that is 6 inches shorter does not.
You want the rules to be more strict? In what way? Those just two examples of Safety regulations that don't make the vehicle safer. The book is 30+ pages, there are many more regulations that are arbitrary and make no improvement in safety.
As for lifted trucks, aside from mud flaps I don't see many lifted trucks that violate any of the other safety requirements. The only regulations that are impacted by lifts are tire coverage and frame height. The frame cannot be more than 26 inches off the ground. That is a HUGE lift, like 8+ inches and 40's.
As for "rolling coal" I totally agree. There is no reason to dump unburnt fuel out your exhaust just to pollute. Our air quality is shitty enough. But, that is emissions, not safety. Utah is keeping emissions testing and in fact, Utah county is reinstating emissions testing for diesels.

We have had several members on here openly admit to swapping parts out/adding flaps for a day or posting that they had so and so pass them even though it wouldn't legally pass at another shop, those are the type of things that irk me more than anything, if your rig can't legally pass then register it as an OHV or send it to the scrap yard. And yes, your rig can legally pass safety AND be a capable trail rig, there are tons of them on this forum including my old ZJ on 35's. As for some brand new trucks not passing, this usually due to add-ons or swapped out parts the dealership installs after it arrives at the dealer, a 100% stock truck will have no problem passing.

The diesel emissions is thankfully improving, I simply mentioned it because it usually goes hand in hand with unsafe lifted trucks and rolling coal(bro-dozers).

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
All of my crap passes emissions. Even my old Mercedes with 200K on it does it easy.

The only thing I have that probably won't is my Range Rover Diesel conversion. But it still has permanent plates in Montana. LOL, and I never drive it, so it doesn't count.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
And yes, your rig can legally pass safety AND be a capable trail rig, there are tons of them on this forum including my old ZJ on 35's.

I don't want to start a flame war, but dude, not everybody wants to be just like "you" and that is OK. Some of us don't think that the 'laws' are justifiable in many cases, and that is OK too. Government isn't flawless, not by a long shot.

Also - some of your arguments use the similar logic of "there's bad apples so we should close all the trails".

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
First time hearing about this.

I am usually great on finding issues on my own but two different vehicles I have found issues through inspection. One was a wheel bearing and the other I am having a senior moment on.

Now, I have had a shop (I no longer go to) give me a list of things on my past pick-up that failed it. Some red flags went up with some items mentioned, so I went to a shop recommend by a friend and I had them recheck the truck and the stuff on the list... not one item was faulty - it was all BS. One thing I remember was balljoints, which I had replaced a few months prior. I wonder how many folks they got that scam over on?

Anyway, if the government butts out of this, they'll pop up somewhere else.

If you take it to the places that only do emissions and inspections you seldom have to deal with those kinds of issues, they do not do repairs so you don't have to deal with them trying to sell you a repair that you don't need. I take our vehicles to the Quick Emissions in Bountiful and tell him to be as thorough as possible, with 7 (4 of which were modified)vehicles through their facility in 5 years they have never pointed out an issue that was not a legitimate concern, wheel bearing being one of them and is not easy to feel going bad.