No more state safety inspection in utah

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I had the thought of inspection stations that still will perform emission to offer a voluntary lower cost safety inspection. That could be a win-win setup. Inspection stations will make money they don't have to share with the state, and people who don't know much about the cars can have a lower cost safety inspection. Maybe insurance companies will offer a discount if you have your car safety inspected and send in the paper work.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
If any of these guys have any clue, they will do free inspections while they are doing emissions testing. You can do a quick inspection in 20 minutes while the car is being tested.

They can let the customer know they have an issue or issues and give them a quote to get it all fixed. Very simple and easy marketing. I used to do it when I worked in a European car shop in Montana. People with those cars always opted to get it fixed before it became an issue.

Seven

If any of these guys have any clue, they will do free inspections while they are doing emissions testing. You can do a quick inspection in 20 minutes while the car is being tested.

They can let the customer know they have an issue or issues and give them a quote to get it all fixed. Very simple and easy marketing. I used to do it when I worked in a European car shop in Montana. People with those cars always opted to get it fixed before it became an issue.

This is how smart shops will evolve with the new law.

RogueJeepr

Here!
If you haven't ever worked on cars for a living then you've haven't seen the scary crap that people try to get away with ( ball joints, tie rods, and tires) is my major concern especially in WVC.
I do like the government butting out of things but this ain't that.

Dont need big tires to have fun.

I've worked on vehicles for a living and that experience doesn't change my opinion that inspecting personal vehicles isn't a business the government should be in. This conversation between our small group exemplifies the scale of diversity of political ideologies that exist in our country. It doesn't change my opinion at all, but it is definitely eye-opening from that standpoint.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I've worked on vehicles for a living and that experience doesn't change my opinion that inspecting personal vehicles isn't a business the government should be in. This conversation between our small group exemplifies the scale of diversity of political ideologies that exist in our country. It doesn't change my opinion at all, but it is definitely eye-opening from that standpoint.

I don't disagree with you, but I also know enough people I can send a vin via text and have a safety inspection performed magically.

carsonc1974

Its all about personal responsibility. I guess in many peoples opinion, It is the governments job to hold such responsibility instead of the individual. Being from AZ, we didnt have any safety inspections, and I can tell you, I dont feel any safer on the road because the 16 yr old chump down at the local jiffy lube took a $20 under the table to pass your 1996 civic with bald tires through safety during a snow storm. It is proven over and over again that regulation generally does not increase the quality of life, but does the opposite. In this case just look at the stats in other states that have gotten rid of safety inspections.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have driven all of the western states for my job over the last 22 years. I can't tell any difference in safety (in regards to vehicle maintenance) when I cross into states without annual safety inspections.

RogueJeepr

Here!
So, how does this work when selling OR buying a vehicle ?
Does the car have to get inspected for the new owner to get it registered ?

Dont need big tires to have fun.

So does anyone know what actually take place since this passed? My suburban's registration expires the end of the month. I'm assuming I can just show up on Jan 2 and get it registered without anything besides my registration?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So does anyone know what actually take place since this passed? My suburban's registration expires the end of the month. I'm assuming I can just show up on Jan 2 and get it registered without anything besides my registration?

I thought all 2017 stickers still had to be registered.

zukgod1

Senior crawler
If it expires in 2017 it still needs a Safety Inspection.

You can wait BUT you will still need a Safety Inspection in 2018 with a 17 expiration.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
What if I have a vehicle that's been sitting for a couple years (I let the registration lapse)?

You are good without a safety inspection if you register it again after Jan. 1.

In Utah, if the vehicle has not been registered for 6 months, you are essentially starting over.

For example, my Focus registration is up on 12/31/17, and I still need a safety inspection as long as I renew the registration within 6 months after expiration. If I were to "park" my vehicle for 6 months with expired registration, and then re-register it after the 6 month period, I would not need a safety inspection.

In Dec. of 2018 when my registration is due again, I will not need a safety inspection.