No more state safety inspection in utah

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
My F350 plates expired two months ago. I don’t use it a whole lot in the winter, so it hasn’t been a huge rush to get it registered… The last couple of times I have used it, I have felt the beginnings of a death wobble while turning and braking. I know that I have something loose in the front end. The shop that I like to take my vehicles two takes about an hour to get through the emissions line. I was going to have them check on my front end parts at the same time. But because of the wait time, I just haven’t had time to get the truck in to them. I was going to get it done today, but as I looked at my registration renewal card, it says I didn’t need emissions this year. So I registered it online, and never got my parts inspected. Once again, I think no safety inspections is stupid. They should have removed the emissions inspection’s instead.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
My F350 plates expired two months ago. I don’t use it a whole lot in the winter, so it hasn’t been a huge rush to get it registered… The last couple of times I have used it, I have felt the beginnings of a death wobble while turning and braking. I know that I have something loose in the front end. The shop that I like to take my vehicles two takes about an hour to get through the emissions line. I was going to have them check on my front end parts at the same time. But because of the wait time, I just haven’t had time to get the truck in to them. I was going to get it done today, but as I looked at my registration renewal card, it says I didn’t need emissions this year. So I registered it online, and never got my parts inspected. Once again, I think no safety inspections is stupid. They should have removed the emissions inspection’s instead.

But, you are aware of the issue... meaning the liability is on you, not the state to babysit you. I'm confused how this is an issue. It's nice that you were able to register it so you don't have to go out of your way to have the safety done AFTER you fixed the problems. Bonus.

Jesser04

Let me make sure I understand you. You’re pissed that the government won’t insist on you having someone tell you that your trucks f’d up when you already know it’s f’d up? If it makes you sleep better next year when your registration is up call me and I’ll take your renewal card from you till you get it inspected. You need a real problem...

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I’m just saying that I am knowingly driving an unsafe truck, because it was too inconvenient to get it checked. I understand and accept any of the consequences that follow.
However, how many of you would like to be driving next to me when the ball joint finally fails??
How many people will be completely unaware of their bad parts?
Not being able to register a car because a gas cap has a crack, but being able to register a car that has bad brakes and bad ball joints seems backwards to me.
Like I have said before, I am happy to not have to pass a safety... but I think it’s a bad idea.

Jesser04

However, how many of you would like to be driving next to me when the ball joint finally fails?

I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I don’t know the odds of getting hit by a vehicle that crashed because of fault parts but I’m sure it’s up there with getting stuck by lightning or attacked by a shark.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I’ll cross that bridge when I get there. I don’t know the odds of getting hit by a vehicle that crashed because of fault parts but I’m sure it’s up there with getting stuck by lightning or attacked by a shark.

I'm not trying to take a side on the issue, but it happens. I'd bet it's usually tire related. This was a couple weeks ago and I know one of the first responders on scene. He said all 4 tires on the truck were showing cords
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/n...ado-city-woman-victim-fatal-crash/2048792002/

Jesser04

I'm not trying to take a side on the issue, but it happens. I'd bet it's usually tire related. This was a couple weeks ago and I know one of the first responders on scene. He said all 4 tires on the truck were showing cords
https://www.thespectrum.com/story/n...ado-city-woman-victim-fatal-crash/2048792002/

I know it happens driving a vehicle is dangerous. In my 20 years of driving I’ve had a numerous near misses and only one comes to mind that was equipment failure.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Brain, we need to have a heart to heart next time I see you. You're more American than this,lol.
Two things at play here.
1. When people know they have to replace parts at x time, they put it off until then.
2. The accidents just aren't happening. It might be hard to believe but they aren't. What do you think the chances are that the guy in the story Benjy posted had his tags renewed in the last 3 months where they would have caught his bald tires. What are the chances that person didn't have a guy and would actually replace all 4 tires. I don't know.
Now. The emissions I fully support. I have a son with a respiratory disease, we have crap air all winter. I don't want it to be worse. Maybe I should read my own arguments against safety inspections. I don't know. We all get to be snowflakes on one or two things I guess.

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel

That's a terrible situation of course, but 1st, how long since the truck was registered? It's still possible that it required a safety when it was last done. 2nd, who says those tires were on it when it was last registered, and 3rd, the tire that caused the wreck was the spare, that was 17 years old, and as such wouldn't have been inspected even IF a normal inspection been performed.

"the front left tire of the F-250 had tread separation, which caused the driver to brake and lose control. The tire was a spare and appeared to be 17 years old, according to the report."

I'm just saying that regardless of law, the responsibility to have a safe vehicle still lies with the operator. When you get behind the wheel you accept accountability. Yes, there are people who genuinely don't have a clue about vehicles, and as such, I would imagine that they get their maintenance done by a shop which will likely call out any possible issue in order to upscale if not simply for honest business. I'd wager that the driver in this case was aware that he needed tires on his truck. In addition, I'm sure we all know people who swapped tires for one reason or another to pass safety when it was still a thing. The law wouldn't have likely made a difference in this case. Just my .02.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome

Do you still need your mommy to hold your hand to cross the street?

You know its got an issue, get it fixed. If you kill someone because you didn't fix it, its on your head. Not your safety inspection, that only happened once a year anyway. Its not like your car goes "DING" its safety inspection time, I need to break suddenly. But only at inspection time. What are you gonna do if something starts wearing out half way through the year. oh nooooo

This has to be the most absurd argument i've heard yet.

Last edited:

Houndoc

I am still on the fence on this one.

Part of me worries unsafe vehicles will be on the road- either because people know there is a problem and simply choose to ignore it or more likely simply don't know. Simple reality is many drivers don't know how to recognize a problem as simple as a bald tire, let alone steering or suspension problems that are about to give out.

The flip side is inspections are not going to catch everything. Case is point, had ball joint failure this week. Fortunately in a parking lot. Started to shake significantly, was in town at low speeds and was hoping to limp to the shop (with a stop along the way for late night basketball). Failed in the church parking lot. But inspection would not have been due for couple more months, so not likely to have made any difference.

Coco

Working at an auto shop, I see first hand the crap that comes in, that the owners could care less about fixing. Sure, there are a lot of people out there that will fix their vehicles, but you would be surprised the amount of stuff that people do not fix, or don't care too 'because they do not have too.' No one I know likes that the state went away with safety inspections... Except auto, collision, and towing companies, and that is only after an accident has happened. UHP is particularly not happy about losing their program, and the officers have become safety inspectors now versus officers. The laws are definitely still there, and UHP officers can pull you over for any of it as well.

I wouldn't mind if we never had a safety inspection in Utah, but where we did, and it went away, everyone thinks they no longer need to do maintenance/service on their vehicles.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I wouldn't mind if we never had a safety inspection in Utah, but where we did, and it went away, everyone thinks they no longer need to do maintenance/service on their vehicles.

I agree with this and it's a huge problem and not with just inspections. Anytime a gov't entity creates a nanny like scenario people will get used to that, especially over a generation or two. Sometimes these laws are left in place because "well, that's how it's always been" kind of mentality. Sadly, people are going to have to learn how to live and operate in reality with gov't always holding their hand.