Jeep No start condition.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
So I have been having troubles starting my Jeep LJ, its not every time just once in a while. I replaced the actuator piece and the ignition switch but it still happens. Sometimes I can bang on the steering column and it will start.

Any one else ever have this trouble? What did you find was the cure? I am looking at the clutch lockout switch now... Any recommendations?

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Does yours have a neutral safety switch. In XJs this could cause problems. Can replace it or just take it apart and clean it.

4x4_Welder

When it's not starting, what's it doing? Does it not crank? Do the dash lights all come on when you turn the key on? Does it crank and not catch? Is there a time/weather condition/time since last operated that this seems to happen at the most?
Chrysler products have a very terrible electrical component called the TIPM, or totally integrated power module. These have internal non replaceable relays, and traces that are subject to corrosion and cracking. Random electrical gremlins result, and the part is not cheap.

gijohn40

when I turn the key the lights and everything come on... but no crank. just dead. this happens randomly. no weather connected time.

I am thinking the Neutral safetly switch as well... tomorrow night I will get a chance to look at that..

gatchmo5710

Ignition switch is my bet. Did one a week ago and it fixed it. Generally if you replace any of the key stuff you should replace all 3 pieces. They are nortorious for acting up.

4x4_Welder

I have fought against one that had a bad connection in the PCM relay area, everything would come on but no check engine light, and it would not crank. The PCM receives a crank request signal from the key switch, then authorizes engine start based on other conditions.
To test the neutral safety switch, when it does the no crank trick try moving the shifter while holding the key to crank.
I have had to deal with bad ignition tumblers in Dodges before, but usually related to problems with the column shifter interlock. I know they are made of very soft metal. When you turn the key does it turn smoothly or feel notchy?

gijohn40

I have replaced both of these... on the right side is where the tumblers and key would fit.

Attachments

• Inked02-07-Jeep-Liberty-Ignition-Switch-Ignition-Lock-_57_LI.jpg
    Inked02-07-Jeep-Liberty-Ignition-Switch-Ignition-Lock-_57_LI.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 16

Bart

Have you put it in neutral to see if it starts? I've had the neutral safety switch be intermittent like you're describing.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Most manual transmission rigs have the equivalent of the neutral safety switch, there is a switch that won't let it start unless the clutch is pushed in.

DAA

On the TJ Rubicons, not sure about the non Rubi's, but the clutch lockout is automatically bypassed in 4Lo to allow starting in gear. So, if it's not cranking, maybe try putting it in 4Lo and if it cranks then, that would point towards the clutch lockout. Maybe?

- DAA

gijohn40

after I replaced the switch it has only happened once... I bought a new battery and cleaned all the connections awhile ago so thats not it...
I am going to have to try that 4lo next time it happens.
and yes its a 6sp manual.