Non-leaking water cooler

DesertRam

Fellas, I'm looking for some input on a good 5-10 gallon water cooler for off-road and hunting trips. I hate throwing away water bottles, so I "make" my kids (and Scouts) use reusable water bottles filled from a cooler full of ice water. I have two now, both with slip on tops. These are great for picnics, but end up sloshing out a good portion of their contents when kept in the back of a pickup on rough roads. Given all the experience on this site, I wonder what you use for water storage and transportation. Thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The screw-top variant of what you're talking about works better than the slip on top, but still sloshes/leaks for me. For no spill stuff I like Scepter-style cans, but they don't offer any insulation if that's a concern for you.

DesertRam

Thanks Carl. I do carry a Scepter style can/jug pretty much all the time for emergency use. For daily drinking I would prefer something with insulation. Nothing like nice cold drink of water after a dusty drive, a dry coyote stand, or a long walk after quail.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I don't know anything about non spilling insulated water jugs. I converted from a cooler to a fridge. I keep cold Nalgene water bottles in the fridge and rotate them out for the one I'm drinking from when it empties. Another option would be to fill reusable water jugs half way, freeze them, then fill them the rest of the way and keep them in a cooler. When I was using a cooler I'd keep it cold with frozen gallon jugs and if you keep it out of the sun they'll stay cold for a couple days.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
We use 2 of the home depot screw on lid coolers. They do spill a little when on really rough roads, but not enough that it matters to us.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
This one is 300 bucks and it leaks so it seems about perfect.

There have been a lot of good suggestions so far.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have a couple of the screw on jugs. Never had much issue with them leaking that I recall. Having said that I wonder how well making a rubber gasket to glue to the top of the jug would work? Not sure if the bottom of the lid even contacts the top of the jug. If it does I’m sure a rubber seal would help a lot.

DesertRam

Kind of forgot about this until a recent Scout campout during which I remembered I how much I dislike my leaky old slip-top Rubbermaid from Lowe's. So when I got home I bit the bullet and ordered the Bulldog water dispenser from etrailer. It came yesterday. This thing is built like a tank - very high quality. Can't wait to put it to use. Summer is about here, along with 100 degree (or higher) temps, so I'll put it to use and report back for anyone interested.