Not Everyone's Cup of Tea

Bart

This is my new Crawler Caravan Configuration. I am tired of trying to find scarce and overpriced rooms in Moab. First statement of disclosure, this is not the way to go for 99% of the people out there, and I've done many hours of research to know what is legal and safe. It took forever to find the right trailer that I felt was built well enough and had the load capacity to handle this. I'm 63' long which is 2' under the legal limit. I looked at motor homes, truck campers, and toy haulers and all of them had their pros and cons. My wife told me if I got a truck camper she would not be joining me. This will see Moab and Sand Hollow maybe 5 or 6 times a year, and hopefully King of the Hammers.

IMG_3758.JPG

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I'll drink that tea! Sweet setup. Nice setup for just going camping too, which is difficult (or not as convenient) with other arrangements

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I like it. I highly recommend a dual trailer brake system that is adjustable for the different trailers. Keep her at a safe speed, and I think you'll like that set up.. Until you have to back out of a gas station some day.. :rofl:

Pile of parts

I agree with your reasons and the only 'con' to me is that you're pulling doubles. However, done properly and with research as you've done, totally doable. Just take extra care (obviously) We resorted to just the truck camper since it's only two of us but would love to have the extra room of a trailer. Mainly just for the full bathroom. Something about sitting on the toilet taking a shower, although a multitasking timesaver, just doesn't say clean to me. We ended​ up with a hanging shower shelter and the outside shower. But, when it's cold...we end up in a campground and even they are getting expensive and hard to book. We've considered a bigger camper with dry bath but not sure what we'll do. Bottom line... I like your setup!

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Welcome the to world of overpriced and scarce RV spots in Moab.

;)

Just Kidding, I think it looks way nice. Separate braking control for each trailer like Brian mentioned sounds nice.

Let us know how it tows.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've been really thinking about the same thing. but man, I have a 38 foot long 5th wheel. And I want to put my Range Rover behind it on a trailer. My RRC weighs close to 6000 lbs wet. And add a trailer into the mix I'm close to 9K pounds extra. So I'd be around 21K total pulling. Which is within range for my 2013 Ram CTD. The brakes on the 5th wheel work good, and it has 3 axles. Turning around or getting fuel would basically suck.

18622246_10154731423470028_6961942564169009184_n.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I like it. I would probably move the 5th wheel's axles back a little, if at all feasible. That would get your pin weight back up where it was before adding the Jeep trailer, and improve your off-track.

Bart

I've been really thinking about the same thing. but man, I have a 38 foot long 5th wheel. And I want to put my Range Rover behind it on a trailer. My RRC weighs close to 6000 lbs wet. And add a trailer into the mix I'm close to 9K pounds extra. So I'd be around 21K total pulling. Which is within range for my 2013 Ram CTD. The brakes on the 5th wheel work good, and it has 3 axles. Turning around or getting fuel would basically suck.

I looked a long time to find a trailer that short (24')with the extra CCC and I should be weighing in at around 13k with both trailers. You would be WAY over the legal length limit with a 38' trailer pulling another trailer.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
Couple of things, SLOW DOWN! I haul doubles all the time and it amazes me to see these morons running 80MPH with 2 trailers, that is the single biggest thing thats going to get you into trouble. Second, sign up for Good Sam and get their fuel card thingy! And try to only use truck stops for fuel, never ever any reason to backup unless you royally screwed yourself. Good Sam's fuel card is good for fuel and propane discounts at Pilot and Flying J.

Oh, and one other thing, SLOW DOWN, just because your truck can, doesn't mean it should. Be responsible to yourself and others around you and you will be fine.

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
I looked a long time to find a trailer that short (24')with the extra CCC and I should be weighing in at around 13k with both trailers. You would be WAY over the legal length limit with a 38' trailer pulling another trailer.

If you do need extra length, UDOT website has a yearly over length permit for $100, you can purchase it for your RV's as well as a commercial big rig. I have had to show my certificate twice around Vernal. I haul a 38 triple axle TH and a boat, puts me over by a few feet, but now I can legally go 104' if I want.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Pfft, that pull in chicken feed, I'm 75' with my RAm 3500, 30' fifthwheel and a 22' flatbed, a little longer with the boat and weigh in around 25k.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
My truck can go way faster then it should with a trailer. I was doing 85 and freaked out, couldn't really tell I was going that fast until I looked down. I set the cruise to 75 and it was very comfortable.

Couple of things, SLOW DOWN! I haul doubles all the time and it amazes me to see these morons running 80MPH with 2 trailers, that is the single biggest thing thats going to get you into trouble. Second, sign up for Good Sam and get their fuel card thingy! And try to only use truck stops for fuel, never ever any reason to backup unless you royally screwed yourself. Good Sam's fuel card is good for fuel and propane discounts at Pilot and Flying J.

Oh, and one other thing, SLOW DOWN, just because your truck can, doesn't mean it should. Be responsible to yourself and others around you and you will be fine.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
After looking at a few in-bed campers, I'm about to go here as well. Knowing that all RV's are constructed of leftovers from the toothpick factory and glue, what are the frame considerations for the fifth wheel to be able to take the load of 6-7k hanging off the back of it at 65 mph?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Artic Fox has a great reputation for producing well built (in terms of beefy) rv's.

Really, you want to examine the framerail materials. A lot of rv frames are very thin wall tubing. There are some that have nice heavy I beam frames.

Bart

After looking at a few in-bed campers, I'm about to go here as well. Knowing that all RV's are constructed of leftovers from the toothpick factory and glue, what are the frame considerations for the fifth wheel to be able to take the load of 6-7k hanging off the back of it at 65 mph?

I looked long and hard for a trailer that had at least a 5,000 lb CCC rating. That's the carry weight, total capacity less dry weight. I figured if it could haul the Jeep by itself it should be able to tow one on a trailer. Then I looked at trailer construction and like Hickey said, Arctic Fox's are one of the better built trailers out there.

Kirk

I'm sure you have all your bases covered, but I agree with the second brake controller thing - I have used mine several times when the rear trailer starts to move around - slide the button a little, and it straightens right out. It only activates the second trailers brakes.