Now that we know what you tow with, Let's see some pictures

Here's my latest tow rig. Works better than I thought it would. The air suspension is actually pretty cool for the load. Takes a bit to get used to in the corners in the canyons. Knocks down about 9-10 mpg towing (gets about 10-12 driving around, so it's not that big of a drop). Goes over Soldiers at about 55 or so. It's getting worked but not like a 350 TBI Suburban

Nav_towing.jpg

(never mind the brake dust on the front wheels....Hadn't been washed for a month or two at this point, I'd assume---if I was a real husband...... Nav had towed all of 1 mile at this point)
(airbags are a bit low in this picture)

Shouldn't we be seeing an update?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Shouldn't we be seeing an update?

I dont don't have any good pics but I do have one from the gas station at night.V10 at gas station.jpg I was quite curious if this truck would be a good combination of the 7.3L PSD and the Navigator that has proved pretty respectable in the power dept. and a little stressed (not bad, just a little stressed in emergency type stuff) in the handling/braking dept. The PSD I had was awesome at handling the load behind it. Truck just LOVED to tow. This truck is very similar handling wise but a little down in the power dept from the PSD (and probably the Navigator, to be honest).

Just because I'm the "scientific" type (in the most amateur way possible), I hooked the truck up to the designated load and ran from the gas station by my house (500 S 1100 west) to I-80-state street exit and back again. The idea was to see how the lifted truck handled the load and the hill as you come up from Warm Springs road would let me know what kind of stress this 200k mile V10 engine could take. (and give me some mpg to calculate---15.1 miles each way using the 400 north entrance/exit ramps in Bountiful) It got 8.6 mpg for that small trip. Truck has 3.73 gears and 315 tires. Observations: The 3.73s aren't exactly ideal 315/16. The Navigator has them and it'll outtow this thing powerwise hands down. However, I'm not beating on my wife's beloved Navigator any more so that makes it worth it to me.
Gas from 5th south to I-80.jpg

I think as time rolls on, I'll remove the lift (might have to wait until Corbin is not a co-owner) and go to stock springs with some 285 tires and likely some 4.30 gears. With the lift, the truck sits a little high in the front. Put some tongue weight on and it's kind of awkward looking. The truck handled well, though. Maybe I keep the 315ish size and bump up to 4.56 gears?

Oh, the work I put it through towing at 65 was not without issue. When I got home and started unhooking the car hauler, the truck was not exactly sounding well. I got digging around the motor a little and found the passenger side exhaust manifold has been leaking for some time due to a broken stud. In fact, there are two broken studs that I can see on the passenger exhaust manifold and another stud that's "stretched" enough that it's likely broken or will be soon. Seems like a pretty common issue on Ford mod motors after they get some miles and heat cycles in them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

lhracing

num num

Did you run your "street" car on the salt? Details, man! Details!

I ran the car in the 130 Club in 2006, you need to make 2 passes between 130 an 140 but no faster that 140 in a mile. On the Salt 130mph is more difficult than on asphalt, I have heard estimates of 18-20% losses due to the surface. The car did this fairly easily, up to 135 in just over the 1/2 mile and then drove it out the back door. I would like to put it in the 150 Club but so far the cost has kept me from trying that. I drag raced the car for 8 or 9 years and participated in several open road races in Nevada, the car has brought a lot of smiles to my face over the years.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just an update on the V10 above:

Well, I did use it to tow for EJS 2014. It did like fuel a LOT and had "decent" power on most hills. I got better mileage on the way down from SLC to Moab than I did on the way back. I wasn't able to track gallons used accurately on the way down for the whole trip. From Lehi, UT to Green River I used 18 gallons. That's 8.5 mpg according to Google for mileage and my Win 8.1 update 1 calculator. Not great at all, but we'll see what gears does for this pig. I topped at Soldiers Summit on Highway 6 at 64-65 mph but had a few stretches below that that I was into second gear and running at 4000+ rpm to maintain over 55.

The way home I got just under 8 mpg. 7.8mpg after filling up at Archview Resort and snagging fuel in Spanish Fork. (I idled at the rest stop in Spanish Canyon for about 20 min. taking a catnap---was getting hypnotized by the construction barrells at 12:30 am)

My Jeep isn't exactly a light rig. I had it weighed at 4480 lbs with 37" Toyo MTs/H2 wheels and loaded for the trail. Since then I've added, "flat fenders"/MB grille, rear armor and 38" Kevlars. Not sure what it weighs now? 4700 lbs? Trailer is your basic PJ car hauler. Light but not too light. I'd estimate it at at least 1500 lbs. With camping gear and such I'm sure I'm hauling 6500-7000 lbs. plus my 250 lb fatness.

Truck towed great. Motor revs to the moon and the trans needs more gears. (6 speed could be really nice?) I'm not sure there's a lot of mileage I can get with the truck but we'll do some "breathing" mods and see if that gets us anywhere (exhaust and intake). I will DEFINITELY be regearing. Truck is 3.73. I pretty much kicked OD off on ANY incline at all as it would hunt from D-OD. Flats or downhills the trans would stay in OD without issue. I ran it right about 65-70 mph for most of the trip with 72-75 for the I-70 run. Just like the 5.4L in the Nav, if you're in second the truck will accelerate no matter the hill with a Jeep on the trailer. How long you want to hold it in second and 4000+ RPM is up to you. They will PULL but I'd imagine anything would at that RPM?

All told for EJS 2014, I used pretty close to four full tanks (shortbed so it has "cute" little fuel tanks
rolleyes.gif
) from Woods Cross, UT to Moab, to Elephant Hill and back to Moab (lots of hills there) then home to Woods Cross from Moab. I definitely used MORE fuel in the V10 than I did in either the 5.4L 32 valve Navigator, 7.3L or Cummins (2004) I've had but this truck was cheap and I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Mods planned are new tires in 305 or 315 sizes and some 4.56 gears (likely). Redo some exhaust work and a "cold air" intake and just drive it until the thing falls apart. (at 200K+, it's in much better shape than my 2004 Cummins I sold at 170k---that Cummins was a pile---motor awesome, rest of truck was a pile of dung----Common Rail Cummins in a Ford like this would be FANTASTIC but I'm not sure I'm willing to put in the work to do something like that)

Has anyone geared to 4.56 with a V10 and ran a 34-35" tire with an automatic that could throw some comments? Seems like that'd make the canyons mucho better and likely even the flat stuff or slight inclines?

Last edited:

rholbrook

I had 4.10 in my V10 but I didn't have it long enough to worry about bigger tires. On trip to Powell at 8 mpg, I could get rid of it fast enough All the big motors are thirsty but by the time you calculate the extra cost of the diesel, cost of oil changes in a diesel and the extra cost of fuel, it pretty much equals out. Put a turbo or supercharger on it, that would make it fun.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
All the big motors are thirsty

Some more than others. I hadn't planned on saying anything, but after reading your comment I decided to chime in. As a reminder, I'm running the 496 cu in Vortec 8100 with 4.10 gears and the 4-spd automatic 4L80E trans in my Suburban. My Jeep with its full load of cargo + trailer checks in around 6000 pounds total. Here's how it all looked as I pulled out for Moab:

towjob04.jpg

As a reminder, here is Marc's experience:

From Lehi, UT to Green River I used 18 gallons. That's 8.5 mpg

The way home I got ... 7.8mpg after filling up at Archview Resort and snagging fuel in Spanish Fork.

I filled up on my way to the highway. To avoid the higher cost of Moab gasoline, I jumped off at Green River and topped off. For that leg, I calculated 11.6 mpg. On this leg I was maintaining 65 MPH all the while. The 496 manages to stay in 4th gear & lockup for most mild and moderate grades at that speed (which equates to 2300 RPM). On one or two of the steepest sections (such as Soldier's Summit) I will drop to 3rd gear; after the converter re-locks, this puts me at 3000 RPM until I crest the hill and go back up to 4th gear. I have no trouble maintaining my 65 MPH pace in third gear.

The next fuel segment took me to Moab, and then to Elephant Hill, back to Moab, and again back to the same gas station in Green River. Due to the lower speeds near EH and on the way there, I felt my fuel economy would be lower. (Tow mode won't let the trans shift into 4th until 60 MPH, and the converter won't lock until at least 50 MPH.) My second stop in Green River confirmed it: this segment produced only 10.2 mpg.

I want to go gas up so as to calculate the last leg of the trip, but I haven't yet done so. I'm sure it won't be 11.6, but I think it will be better than 10.2. We'll see.

I will DEFINITELY be regearing. Truck is 3.73. I pretty much kicked OD off on ANY incline at all as it would hunt from D-OD.

I would be curious to see what better gearing would do for you, Marc. I bet you'd see an improvement in fuel economy.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
Moving day. Towed better than I expected for this little inline 5. 65-70 no problem without pushing it too hard. Threw in a brake controller for safety but I don't think it really needed it.

IMAG0883_zpsqnnovntj.jpg

asadog

Been a member for a while, definitely need to be more active here! 00 Cummins 5 speed. New IP and clutch. Lifted on 35s with 18s. Edge Juice with attitude. AFE Intake. 4" straightpiped. Tows my Jeep great just got the camper the other night gonna haul them both on the 22nd! From Logan down to Moab! That's my YJ on 37s the other is a pic of my buddies CJ5 we picked up the other night (somehow got it on the trailer with a flat tire, shot suspension, no steering wheel, and it didn't run :D)

xjr5jwn.jpg

yIfy9zh.jpg

DtudeoP.jpg

SLC97SR5

IDIesel

This is a sad story. 2006ish? 3500 MegaCab, 4x4, 6spd loaded Cummins. My buddy mistook the flickering "check gauges" light and no oil pressure on the gauge to be a fluke and ran the thing out of oil. When he drained the pan only 4 qts came out. It sounds like someone is banging a 1/2 full 55 gallon drum with a sledgehammer. It is LOUD!

The old IDI-T hauled it to his house and really loved the 8*f weather.

I should have flipped out the Dodge's tow mirrors for another 20psi of boost and 35mpg. :D

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Where did the oil go?

--Short story--
We don't know.

--Long story--
He's owned it for 8 or so months with zero issues. If I were in the market for a MegaCab it is the one I would pick. It is that clean. This is his first truck/diesel. He towed a rented travel trailer to Moab with it earlier in the year and blew an intercooler boot, shoved it back on with a new clamp and he was good to go. The truck doesn't leak, has all of the power a stock Cummins 6spd should and the front end is tight AND the interior is holding together. 4WD even works. I mean, super clean.

Anyway, shortly after buying the truck the door locks quit working, only 2 windows would roll down and one headlight stayed on in the DRL mode and the other was on high beam...the gauge cluster freaked out, including registering no oil psi.

We did some research and it was all related to the TIPM, the dealer he purchased from replaced the TIPM and all was well for several months.

I have to cut him a bit of slack because a week ago the check gauges annunciator illuminated and the door locks started acting funny. He thought it was again related to the TIPM and neglected to check the oil or anything else. Well one night driving to work the truck started making BAD noises and he shut it off.

So where did the oil go? Does the turbo have a bad bearing? Excessive blow by? Never got topped off properly after he changed the oil? Right now it's a mystery. It would be incredibly coincidental but when it runs it sounds like a pissing injector. Super sharp knock and eye stinging, fuel soaked exhaust. It is at his house and a buddy of his is a Cummins guy and is going to scan and diag the truck.

I'll keep you posted as I find out more. He is absolutely sick about it and the ride home from the '94 did not help.:rofl:

--Thanks for the trailer, Ricky; nothing beats a long gooseneck!

lhracing

you do the silver state classic in Nevada? Id love to do an event like that in my 68. Hope to be able to do some auto-cross with it next year

I have not ran the Silver State. I have ran a couple of other Open Road Races in Nevada, the Bonneville 100 (twice) and the Twin 50. Both of these were about 100 miles and I ran in the 120 class.

Scan_20151213 (2).jpg

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
new set-up

I just picked up a newer tow rig. I'm excited to use the 6.7! Anybody else on the 6.7 train? The thread on here helped me make the decision on it.

Attachments

• 20151231_150036.jpg
    20151231_150036.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I am rocking the 6.7 as well just a completely different animal!!! She is a beast though

I bought this truck wrecked from an auction out of Texas one of the hood hinges is tweaked and back ordered through mopar so for the time being the hood sits a little wonky