OBA idea

pkrfctr

Getting to the point that its time to put On board air in the JK. I've had yorks in the other jeeps but with the hemi and customization to the JK fitting anything under the hood would be almost impossible. So I've been looking at electric compressors, talk about depressing. The best I can find is the ARB and its only doing about 2.7 CFM at 90 PSI. In my quest to find something better I found this ; https://www.zoro.com/california-air...otor-20-hp-sp-9421/i/G4125436/#specifications
Its doing 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI, still not york territory but close. I think the compressor could be run off a 1000 watt inverter and still be less than the ARB. Id probably mount the inverter under the front passenger seat and mount the compressor under the rear tuffy deck. Its only 70 decibles so having it in the cab shouldn't be an issue.
Thoughts? Any reason this wouldn't work?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You would need a much larger inverter based on the specs on that site. 110v x 15A = 1650 watts. I also wonder if the start-up amperage might spike above the 15?

pkrfctr

I figured it would need a bleed off to make sure you didn't start it under pressure. Having a 2k inverter could be beneficial for other things too. Another site said 15 was the spike and 7.5 was running.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Any thoughts of CO2? I've got 2 CO2 bottles that I have used for the past 10 years or so. Quick and reliable. Of course the biggest headache is the refill. Praxair seems to be the best price locally, but they won't refill my bottles, only exchange. I'm currently watching for a used (cheap) bottle to buy that I can start my trade-ins off of.

pkrfctr

Co2 presents a couple issues for me, space and refilling. I use some nitrogen bottles for work and loathe getting those filled, just a pet peeve.

Corban_White

We have lots of inverters in our trucks at work. Even with an unloader valve the inrush will be too high. You will need a very large inverter to start a compressor. For the one linked probably a 3500W or so.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you have a york laying around, I wonder if northertool has a DC motor that would run it properly. Essentially create an oasis compressor but for ~$200-400? This could be a fun experiment, project.

With some kind of gearing you run a lower rpm motor and get the final drive to the york up there... maybe?

pkrfctr

If you have a york laying around, I wonder if northertool has a DC motor that would run it properly. Essentially create an oasis compressor but for ~$200-400? This could be a fun experiment, project.

With some kind of gearing you run a lower rpm motor and get the final drive to the york up there... maybe?
There are a bunch of write ups that go through this, but most have marginal luck. Oasis used to sell all of peices individually too.

pkrfctr

We have lots of inverters in our trucks at work. Even with an unloader valve the inrush will be too high. You will need a very large inverter to start a compressor. For the one linked probably a 3500W or so.
I called them today and they said it would take 5000-5500 watt inverter. That increases the cost and size a bunch but still not to Oasis levels. It would still be cheaper than 2 arb's-which would be equivalent in cfm's.

pkrfctr

My JKU has 2 ARB compressors run in-line. They fill up the tires pretty quickly. Both are mounted under the jeep.
what size tires and how long does it take to air up? stupid york setup spoiled me in the other jeeps. Maybe I just need to find someone to build a custom bracket to hold a sanden under the hood for me......