OBD II code reader / app

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Who has purchased and used an OBD II code reader such as the FIXD that connects through your smart phone? If not the FIXD device, which one have you used and do you find it to be a good purchase?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've used the ELM bluetooth dongles, gone through a couple. They don't tend to last long rattling around a glove box or tool chest it seems.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have a Kitbest bluetooth scanner for my Android ($11 on Amazon), and so far I've just been using Torque Light (the free version) with it. To date, it has always worked perfectly.

For such a pittance, there is no reason not to have OBD2 scan capability (assuming you have at least one OBD2 vehicle in your fleet).

4x4_Welder

I use Car Gauge Pro, and an EL 327 dongle. I can't remember the brand of the thing right now, but I paid under $20 for it. I've been using them in the course of working on vehicles professionally since 2015 without any issues. In some cases it has more accessibility than the higher end scanners. It'll scan Isuzus, first year Powerstrokes, anything with an OBDII plug. The software comes with Ford, GM, Nissan, Hyundai, and Toyota specific protocols.
I haven't found a properly working setup for iPhones, but I use Android so I haven't dug too much.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
I use Car Gauge Pro, and an EL 327 dongle.

I haven't found a properly working setup for iPhones, but I use Android so I haven't dug too much.

so far I'm finding more that are bluetooth and Android compatible but less options for Bluetooth and Iphone compatible. It's not clear to me why the hardware would be shown to be incompatible with Iphone when I can get the same app (same name app - i.e. AutoDoctor or Torque).

4x4_Welder

From what I understand, the way iThings are configured, they can't communicate this sort of data over Bluetooth. This wouldn't be that much of an issue, except the WiFi dongle options seem to be garbage.
I don't think this has been a huge market opportunity to anyone, most of the more industrial handheld device market is handled by Android based systems.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
so it looks like the version of bluetooth for the hardware is what keeps some of the adapters from connecting with the iphone or ipad via bluetooth. Looks like it has to be bluetooth 4.0 compatible to connect with the iphone. so, search carefully, there are some out there but are a little more expensive.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member

Here are two less expensive options that may not have all of the functionality of the above, but probably good for most applications:

https://www.amazon.com/Vgate-Blueto...148&sr=1-12&keywords=obd+bluetooth+for+iphone

https://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-OBDC...4S92DTNTBFS&psc=1&refRID=ZDWMNBAPY4S92DTNTBFS

If I order one I"ll post up how it works.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a VeePeak one, it was cheap and has worked the couple times I've tried it. :cool: I used the Torque Lite app with it.

4x4_Welder

I did try to help a friend get an iThing set up with an OBDII dongle, it wouldn't talk to my Bluetooth one, and we went through four or five WiFi ones before finding one that sort of worked. I think it was an iPhone 7.
It might be easier to get a used Android phone off eBay (I got my current Kyocera for about $50) and use that as a dedicated diagnostic rig. You only need WiFi connection to download the program initially, and for occasional updates, but no internet access is needed for scanning.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If you run an Iphone, just buy a cheap Android to run map software and Torque on. I have a Kyocera Duroforce Pro that I use to run Locus map software for moto trips. I paid $50 for it on Ebay. It has a bad sim card but I only use it on wifi and bluetooth. You can get a burner from walmart for around $30. Keep it in the glove box with the dongle.
The best part of the Duroforce I have is it's a "rugged" smartphone. So it's pretty tough and if it does break, i'm not out $800 like my fancy smart phone.

4x4_Welder

I run a Kyocera Brigadier as my current phone, I had one of the sapphire shield ones but it had gravitational incident. I've actually had three of these Brigadiers, they hold up well and have good enough specs to handle quite a bit of work.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I run a Kyocera Brigadier as my current phone, I had one of the sapphire shield ones but it had gravitational incident. I've actually had three of these Brigadiers, they hold up well and have good enough specs to handle quite a bit of work.
For some reason your post didn't show up when I basically replied with the same thing. Great minds. LOL.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a 7 inch tablet that has torque Pro on it and I attached it to my visor in the LJ and run it all the time I drive. its pretty informative and you can have multiply screens with different PIDS (gauges). I can watch my o2 sensors all on the same screen to see differences. it monitors my coolant, intake temps and allot others.

4x4_Welder

I'm not sure. I have a Kindle fire, but it's all locked down for the kids. I didn't see any apps in their store for this sort of stuff, but I might see if I can drop my program onto the SD card and transfer it. It'll be a little while before I can do that though.