Off road trailer build

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
The thought of hiking was giving my Daughter anxiety and I wasn't about to play that game with her. At least she went, but now I have to go see a play or something like that.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
So I am toying with the idea of selling this trailer and starting on the next one. I always had planned on selling it eventually and was going to when I lost my job in the end of 2012 but knew I wouldn't be able to replace it. I have plans drawn up for the next one, so if I sold it I could just make an order for the steel. If I don't sell it know I need to upgrade it for this year, I don't know what the value is on it and if I add stuff to it I know I wont get that money back out of it. I made the changes that I felt needed to happen last year and the thing flat out works off road, and it tows perfectly on the streets. I couldn't see selling it right now for less then $1000.. Not sure what way to go, any thoughts?

IMG_2447a.jpg

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
What do you want to do with a trailer that this one can't do?

This trailer ended up being a little wider then I wanted, I started with a trailer I had and used the frame so when I went to install the axle that I ordered with the same flange to flange width it wouldn't fit. I ended up using a 1.5" wheel adapter and reversing the wheels so now the valve stem is on the inside. I did use a 3500# axle with brake flanges (I want Brakes) and that will have to happen right now if I am going to add anymore weight. So I'm just trying to decide, do I sell it now and start fresh or put more money into this? I could tear off the top of this one and cut the sides off and narrow it, but If I keep it I want to add a box across the front to house the water filler and water pump/ filter, I could build a new frame around the water tank if I started over.

Lots of little things, that over time I have thought of after a couple years. I do have older kids who have the same interests as me and could use this if I was to continue on my build and then build a second one later, I could use this axle under the new one and buy a axle 6" wider for this one.

Lots to think about now, I guess if I continue to build this one I could use those parts on the new on and end up with what I want and then a second one for my son.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Still toying around with this trailer, I decided to incorporate thing that I think I want in a trailer and see how they work out, and maybe in the end I will be happy... Or sell it and start over;)

I tend to be limited in my travels by the lack of fuel, and I always intended this trailer to also be part of a bug out tool so I wanted to add a fuel tank and water tank to it. My worry always is weight due to the fact I pull it with a Samurai right now. I decided for my trip
This month I would have something done to it so I picked the fuel tank. I'd rather have water can leak on my stuff than gasoline.

I had a samurai and sidekick gas tank at the house and the sidekick has a pump built in, perfect!! But the sidekick tank is too wide.. Bummer.. Then I started looking at them and thought that I could mount the sidekick pump In the samurai tank, and I had a new skid plate for a samurai tank sitting around (I have issues) so I drilled out the welds on the mounting flange on the sidekick tank and cut a hole in the samurai tank and welded the flange in it. The samurai tank fits perfectly in the trailer but the filler is a whole new project. I remembered I had cut out the filler on a samurai so I found it and started brainstorming ideas for mounting it without cutting into a tool box or having it hanging off the back. I found that I could stick it down through the fender and squeeze it in between the tire and frame. I ordered a Mandrel bend U so all that is in the fender is steel and I'll shield it so if the tire does hit it now and then it is a smooth metal shield, shouldn't be a big deal.

I'll build a switch panel in the tool box and it will power off the on board battery.

clearance.JPGfiller.JPGflange.jpgMounted.jpgtank.jpg

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
This fuel tank mod with pump, what is the plan to get the fuel into vehicle's tank? Seems like an automotive fuel pump would take a while to transfer the fuel.

Just a 3/8" fuel hose. We used it on our last trip and just transferred fuel while we were in camp having dinner, it takes about 10 min to move about 5 gallons of fuel. I have a return loop off the fuel filter as a safety precaution so I'm not dead heading the pump on accident, if I kill the return loop it is twice as fast but I worry about it getting turned on and sitting for hours and killing the pump.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIMG_5240.JPGIMG_5329.jpg

Last edited:

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Well, Im at it again... I cant let this old trailer go for some reason. I stripped it down to the frame and got rid of the old osb floor and replaced it with these cut up tool cart lids (i may have a stack of these) I am adding a rack onto it and throwing a RTT up there. Tool boxes will go back on and I will be bed lining the entire thing, I wept the hinge on the last lid to work for a small tailgate.IMG_6223.jpg

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Got some good work done on this over the week, the floor is pretty much done, going to sacrifice one more lid as the tailgate. Removed the old battery and propane tank mounts and added a box to the front, this removes the ability to fully Jackknife the trailer but that isn’t possible with the Tundra anyway and this trailer probably won’t see those kind of trails anymore anyway. I pretty much finished the mount for the tent, I went with the Smittybuilt XL tent and if we use it enough I will upgrade in the future but for now I think it will do the job. I need to add a step in front of the wheel wells to keep the fenders from catching stuff and then I’ll bedline it hopefully be done this week.

Attachments

• 177BFEBF-DAB0-45F8-8481-B823842FE4CC.jpeg
    177BFEBF-DAB0-45F8-8481-B823842FE4CC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 43

The_Lobbster

Ah, I see. I was hoping to find a connection to a Cornwell dealer who would actually respond to me. The guy up here seems to be invisible.
I have a friend who is a Cornwell dealer, down in Provo, UT. Not sure what you need, but I could get you his info if you want?

The_Lobbster

It was a project at my last job, I bought a whole bunch of tool carts and removed the lids and installed a butcher block top on them.
I love your floor! You wouldn't happen to have any more of those lid's you'd wanna let go would you? I've been trying to find a unique floor idea for my samurai flatbed, and I think those would be pretty cool!